Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
Mar 20, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #676 of 860
attachment.php

attachment.php

Mar 22, 2005 at 11:19 AM Post #677 of 860
great thread, I'm about to buy an HD3 and this thread has truely been 'reveiling'
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, the groups stuff is the only thing that bothers me a bit atm. I have SS3 running, and it supports playlists. Will playlists show as 'groups' in the HD3 ? If it does, do you still have to have files twice on the device if they are in 2(or more) playlists?
I would have an 'all mp3' list, a 'pop' list, and a 'Michael Jackson' list for instance. In wich case the Michael Jackson tracks would be in 3 lists.
I know that this could be solved by putting them in 1 'all' group, and getting to MJ by using browse by artist, but I just wanna know to understand the device thouroughly. Playlists seem the best way to organize 20GB of mixed music...
Ow and remotes, I have a remote from my Clie NX70v, it has the same connector as the HD3, but I have _no_ idea if that will work. I can't find any 'compatiblity' listing anywhere. So, can I use mine (pic)? Or wich 'could' I get?

Mar 22, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #678 of 860
sonicstage is so crap, i wouldn't bet on it. the damn software wouldn't even run on my main computer, and it only barely runs on the laptop. don't expect miracles.

"Groups" is just the name of the folder that your music files are transferred in. so the worst you can do, is to put the music you want in one folder, effectively making a playlist.

with the remote, i think it should work... you should be able to go into any sony shop and test it. just ask the sales person whether it will work, whatever he says, then ask if you can try it.

if your remote doesn't work, then any of the MD remotes will be compatible. if you want basic functions (play, stop, volume, etc) then you want something above an RM-MZR55 (see a few posts above). if you want something that shows textual information, you need (i think) a remote that is supplied with an Hi-MD unit. this is probably MC-RC38EL or above. you can get these on ebay for under £20. the newer ones (which are not worth the price) are chunky and go for upto £50.

Mar 22, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #679 of 860
yeh, I've got SS3 installed. (no HD3 yet
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I allready have all my albums sorted in folders according to their genre, so I guess that'll stay intact if I load them in the HD3.
I'm still curious how the SS3-playlists are handled by the HD3

Mar 22, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #680 of 860
I have previously onwed Ipod 40GB and the Photo.

Now I am looking for something else.

I bought the 40GB right before Photo was released, and I will not make the same mistake again.

Does anyone know anything about a NW-HD4 being released soon? The HD3 has been around for a couple of months now...

NOTE: I do not know anything about a HD4 or any mp3 player being released to replace the NW-HD3. It is just my theory that they should replace it with something new pretty soon.

Olle
---
Sweden

Mar 22, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #681 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by ollet

I bought the 40GB right before Photo was released, and I will not make the same mistake again.

Does anyone know anything about a NW-HD4 being released soon? The HD3 has been around for a couple of months now...

NOTE: I do not know anything about a HD4 or any mp3 player being released to replace the NW-HD3. It is just my theory that they should replace it with something new pretty soon.

Olle
---
Sweden

One thing for sure, it will have an OLED screen.

Mar 22, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #683 of 860
Ok, thanks for that answer.

If there should be a new one in May..then I will wait.. Seems like sony got lots of things to improve anyways... And a little more than 1 month is not that much either.. I would love more information about the next mp3 player from sony when it is available..

I want to buy a pair of headphones too, is the shure e3c the best choice? My pricerange is like $150 and less.

Mar 23, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #684 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Selachii
Anyway, the groups stuff is the only thing that bothers me a bit atm. I have SS3 running, and it supports playlists. Will playlists show as 'groups' in the HD3 ? If it does, do you still have to have files twice on the device if they are in 2(or more) playlists?

As far as I know the device is so dumb that the song will be copied twice onto your player. To make matters worse it shows up twice too if you browse by song (like, if you're browsing by albums).

Mar 23, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #685 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmkinf
As far as I know the device is so dumb that the song will be copied twice onto your player. To make matters worse it shows up twice too if you browse by song (like, if you're browsing by albums).

I Have an HD3 ( I love it) but this point is very stupid, as far as I can see, if you make 2 "playlists" on SS3, your computer doenst make another copy of the file on your computer, it just plays the damn songs like you want. But you put it onto the HD3, and it starts to copy the damn songs again? I am like "wait wait wait a second! I already have those damn songs on there!!!! you piece of $h!t!!! I mean... Wait.. I am sorry, I love you." and thats about how it went. But seriously... Copying songs multiple times is just stupid. I hope somehow they relieve this problem in the future. Also, I am sure if its copied twice that it will show up twice when viewed by artist etc.

Mar 23, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #686 of 860
Quote:

Olle
---
Sweden

Don't get your hopes up. I would most definately say that Sony is not going to be releasing a new unit in the HD line. They havnt gotten their money's worth from this line yet. The only reason they released the HD3 is of course because of the native mp3 problem, so they added a few cosmetic changes. I would say the only possible reason that there could be a new unit released in the next 6 months is that the HD3 is so similar to the HD1. But honestly, you can always play the "wait game." I definately wouldnt bet on a new product in this line to come out in the next 6 months, but it is possible. I would say the most likely thing would be they woudl release a new product for Christmas 2005.

Oh, by the way, I saw the pictures of the sony exibits at i think it was Cebit or whatever its called, and I saw all their new products, never saw anything about a new HD product.

Anyways.

Cheers.

Mar 23, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #687 of 860
aye.

rather than releasing a next installment to the HD series, it's more likley they'll release a brand new line just to remove the negative connotations.

meanwhile, have some pics
orphsmile.gif

sony1.jpg

sony2.jpg

(remote not included as standard)

Mar 24, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #688 of 860
I guess I will buy one then. Can't wait to christmas to get another player (got the ipod photo). It will be very hard to choose color.. and once I do I will regret it.. So a little poll; Which is the best looking color?

Olle

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #689 of 860
Quote:

I guess I will buy one then. Can't wait to christmas to get another player (got the ipod photo). It will be very hard to choose color.. and once I do I will regret it.. So a little poll; Which is the best looking color?

Olle

red

Users who are viewing this thread

Back