Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
Mar 17, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #661 of 860
Mine has the slight hiss and I use EX-71's. I dont mind though since all of my music is rock or rap. I think I would get annoyed with it if I listened to classical music.
But I just have to say, that battery life on this thing is amazing. I had a Zen micro which I swear I had to charge it every third day for the entire month I owned it. I have had the HD3 for 2 weeks and only charged it once. Granted I work all day so the only time I listen to it is in the evening, but still its better then any other player I have owned or used.

Mar 17, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #662 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spex
When you install SS a registration key is created using various attributes including the software version, language & (I think) the locale of Connect it works with. Any music you rip from your CDs is tagged using this registration key as part of the Digital Rights Management (DRM) process .

If you uninstall & reinstall SS it creates a new DRM registration key and any of your old tracks are no longer associated with the new version.

I strongly believe that attempting a 'cross-grade' from one country version to another will create a new DRM registration key and so de-register all your old tracks.

There is a way to completely remove all traces of previous SS installs & all DRM registration keys. However, I'm not sure if you will be able to reinstall your backup in these circumstances.

Col

Great, just great.

I might ask Sony to see if they can give me an answer in advance.

Mar 17, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #663 of 860
Hello,
I have recently purchased an AMERICAN NW-HD1, and plan to use it in AUSTRALIA.
What adaptor/transformer do I use?
(Ive seen about 4 different types in AudioCUBES, Im not sure which one I need to buy)

Thanx

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #664 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog311
battery life on this thing is amazing

Agreed. I've got an iPod that completely loses charge within a few days - even if you don't use it. Considering my usage patterns (keep it in my bag for long flights / train journeys) I got really hacked off with the amount of times the battery ran out before I reached my destination.

I haven't flown transatlantic with my NW-HD3 yet, but I accidentally left it playing for over a day & it still showed 1/3 charge so I'm sure it'll be up to the job.

Col

Mar 17, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #665 of 860
Oh great, this just gets better and better.
mad.gif

I uninstalled SS 3.0 (US version) and reinstalled 2.3 (European version), as Sony suggested. All my tracks can play OK in SS 2.3, but when I connect my HD3 it says "The ATRAC audio device cannot be used with this version of SonicStage".

It could before, so why not now?

Please help!!!

**Edit** All sorted now.
280smile.gif

I emailed Sony and they sent me a link to a repair utility. Uninstalled SS, ran utility, reinstalled SS, initialised hard disk, problem solved.

Mar 17, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #666 of 860
Is Sonicstage really that crappy? I think I will soon be in the market for a HD mp3 player. And HD3 seems like a good choice (tho it's a little expensive). But the complaint about Sonicstage is really putting me off.

Mar 17, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #667 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by manixc
Is Sonicstage really that crappy? I think I will soon be in the market for a HD mp3 player. And HD3 seems like a good choice (tho it's a little expensive). But the complaint about Sonicstage is really putting me off.

If you don't like SS you can use the Vaio Transfer Utility, which works with HD3.

Mar 17, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #668 of 860
Quote:

I have had 0 problems with SS, it can run slwo at times when renaming entire playlists properties (which I do for ripped mp3s from internet radio) but other than that it works flawless for me.

Mar 18, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #669 of 860
Quote:

You can download it from Connect.com and test it.

Mar 19, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #670 of 860
I think sonicstage is picky with your computer setup and configuration. It can work like a charm on my pc at work but also work like total dung on my home laptop. I wouldn't let SS scare you though...there are worse things out there...(maybe).

Mar 20, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #672 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by igarvey
I got my HD3 and love it, again my only complaint is the volume...it doesn't quite go loud enough in a noisy environment like NYC streets :p

thats why the isolating earbuds are so great.
etysmile.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #673 of 860
Hi all,

I've owned the HD3 for several days, before my purchase, one of the most important factors was whether existing MD remotes worked with the HD3. Well, since I have 2 at my disposal, I decided to try them out and share the findings.
smily_headphones1.gif

Firstly, I'm testing the remotes with the HD3 unit but I assume it'll work the same with the HD1. Here goes:

The RM-MZR55 - supplied with MZ-R55

1front.jpg

additional image: top of remote (from left: display, playmode, pause, hold)

additional image: bottom of remote (from left: track mark, volume)

mapping

LCD - Blank, No backlight

Play - Not working!!
Stop - OK
Skip - OK
Pause - OK
Volume - OK
Track Mark - Skips by artist!!
Display - Nothing
Playmode - Cycles through playmodes (repeat, shuffle, etc)

RM-MC11EL - supplied with MZ-R900

2front.jpg

(note: LCD backlight is actually green, not blue)

additional image: top of remote (from left: display, playmode, RPT/ENT, pause)

mapping

LCD - Works (shows track number, playtimes, battery, playmode and play indicator), backlight also works.

Play - OK
Stop - OK
Skip - OK
Pause - OK
Volume - OK
Display - Cycles through track time elapsed, track time remaining, 3 instances of track time remaining and the playmode (e.g. "t shuffle"). All visible on LCD.
Playmode - Cycles through playmodes (repeat, shuffle, etc). Display on LCD - "Normal", "1Track", "y Unit", "k SHUFF" and "t SHUFF".
RPT/ENT - Does Nothing except turns on backlight.
Sound - Cycles through the 4 main sound presets.

Nearly everything was as expected. What really suprised me was that the 55 didn't have the ability to control "play" which sucked, and also, "track mark" skipped by artist! this was brilliant since normal skip only skipped individual tracks.

I know some of you were asking about this, hope it was useful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #674 of 860
oh, i forgot to mention:

when you hold "stop" for more than 2 secs, it turns off the player.

with the second remote, the screen only displays the times and bare information. No textual information regarding music files (id tags, track name) are displayed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back