Sony NW-A50 Series
Jan 1, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #1,201 of 2,411
Is Direct Source different than turning off all sound options and using a flat EQ? I am on the FE firmware not R

Also, is there a benefit from using one of the (scarce) line out cables against using the 3.5mm socket when running a headphone amp?

Thanks Rob

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #1,202 of 2,411
Is Direct Source different than turning off all sound options and using a flat EQ? I am on the FE firmware not R

Also, is there a benefit from using one of the (scarce) line out cables against using the 3.5mm socket when running a headphone amp?

Thanks Rob

Yes, it's different. It's even a bit louder.

Jan 3, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #1,208 of 2,411
Here's my post describing the steps, albeit for the A30, but it's the same for the A50.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-a30-series.815843/post-15965667

Apply first the fw upgrade then the tuning.

The scscitool might give an error, he upgrade probablygoes through anyway.

Yeah, the error is because previous devices were using a different SCSI command, which was not working on these newer devices.

I contacted the developer about it, and he made it so if the first command doesn't work, it will send a SCSI request with the command that works for the newer devices, so both older and newer devices will work with that command.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,209 of 2,411
Jan 5, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #1,210 of 2,411
Hello :)

I’ve just bought a Sony NW-A55L which I am generally happy with. There is one issue with it though. The tracks in some albums play back in a random mixed up order. Most of the albums play back correctly in the right order but a few are mixed up and I can’t see any reason why.

I’ve checked the MP3 tags and they are all numbered correctly etc. They aren’t playing back in alphabetical order, date order, size order or any other logical order as far as I can tell either. I also have the shuffle function switched off.

Can anyone help?

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #1,211 of 2,411
Hello :)

I’ve just bought a Sony NW-A55L which I am generally happy with. There is one issue with it though. The tracks in some albums play back in a random mixed up order. Most of the albums play back correctly in the right order but a few are mixed up and I can’t see any reason why.

I’ve checked the MP3 tags and they are all numbered correctly etc. They aren’t playing back in alphabetical order, date order, size order or any other logical order as far as I can tell either. I also have the shuffle function switched off.

Can anyone help?

Hey, I'm thinking that there has to be a reason though, and not a bug or something.

I usually play my songs from the Folder view though, and not from Album or Artist view.

You can go to "Playback Settings" and see all related settings in detail. Also, after starting a song in an Album or something, you can swipe to the right in order to see the Play Queue - maybe it will help you understand what's going on.

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #1,212 of 2,411
Hey, I'm thinking that there has to be a reason though, and not a bug or something.

I usually play my songs from the Folder view though, and not from Album or Artist view.

You can go to "Playback Settings" and see all related settings in detail. Also, after starting a song in an Album or something, you can swipe to the right in order to see the Play Queue - maybe it will help you understand what's going on.

If I play them back from Folder view all of the albums play back in the wrong order.

If I play them back from Album or Artist view about 10% of the albums play back in the wrong order but the other 90% are fine.

I’ve looked in the ‘Playback settings’ and everything looks ok to me. Is there any particular setting which I need to look out for?

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #1,213 of 2,411
If I play them back from Folder view all of the albums play back in the wrong order.

If I play them back from Album or Artist view about 10% of the albums play back in the wrong order but the other 90% are fine.

I’ve looked in the ‘Playback settings’ and everything looks ok to me. Is there any particular setting which I need to look out for?

My files are named like "101 - Name" inside a folder, where the first 1 is the CD number, and 01 is the track number. There is also a track number as an ID3 tag, which may also count, though I'm not sure, so you might have to check if you don't notice anything else wrong.

screenshot_20160210_025157868.png

Also, while playing an album/folder which you know that it plays with issues, if you swipe to the right to the "Play Queue", are the tracks in the order that you would expect? If not, then from the same "Play Queue" screen you can tap on the three dots from a song, and then check "Detailed song information" for the "Track" entry - this could show you if maybe the track number in the ID3 tag is set incorrectly.

These are my settings in the "Playback Settings" menu:
screenshot_20160210_025420134.png
screenshot_20160210_025441997.png

(This is not the A55, but the menu is the same)

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #1,214 of 2,411
My files are named like "101 - Name" inside a folder, where the first 1 is the CD number, and 01 is the track number. There is also a track number as an ID3 tag, which may also count, though I'm not sure, so you might have to check if you don't notice anything else wrong.

screenshot_20160210_025157868.png

Also, while playing an album/folder which you know that it plays with issues, if you swipe to the right to the "Play Queue", are the tracks in the order that you would expect? If not, then from the same "Play Queue" screen you can tap on the three dots from a song, and then check "Detailed song information" for the "Track" entry - this could show you if maybe the track number in the ID3 tag is set incorrectly.

These are my settings in the "Playback Settings" menu:
screenshot_20160210_025420134.png screenshot_20160210_025441997.png

(This is not the A55, but the menu is the same)

Ok I’m half way there to solving the problem now.

When I swipe to the right, click on the three dots, select ‘Detailed Song Information’ the track numbers are all correct (this is the same in both folder view or artist view). However some of the MP3 files have a ‘Disk’ number which seems to take priority over track number and it plays the tracks from the lowest disk number first.

What I would like to do is delete or change the disk number information and the tracks should start playing in the correct order. However when I look at the MP3 files on my PC there is no information in the ‘Disk’ column and I can’t see any way of adding or changing information in the ‘Disk’ column.

How do I do this?

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #1,215 of 2,411
I don't know if you're using a dedicated software for that - I'm using Mp3tag: https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

You could give it a try.

If not, feel free to attach a screenshot of the details of the song in the player (press VOL+, then press VOL- (one by one), and then keep Power pressed until the dialog comes up, to save a screenshot) and also to send me the MP3 file and I can take a look at it tomorrow or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back