Sony NW-A50 Series
Dec 24, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #1,173 of 2,423
Hi guys just wondering if it's safe (not buggy) to install the R version of the firmware now? Is that the version that reaps the most benefits soundwise? I have no need for the settings/features that are removed by R.

Is there much of a difference between the two firmware versions Mr Walkman has created?

Cheers.

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #1,174 of 2,423
Hi guys just wondering if it's safe (not buggy) to install the R version of the firmware now? Is that the version that reaps the most benefits soundwise? I have no need for the settings/features that are removed by R.

Is there much of a difference between the two firmware versions Mr Walkman has created?

Cheers.

I had no problem installing the original R, going back to stock and then installing the R FE, but some others have had problems. I have not tried any of the non R versions so can’t comment on sound differences

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #1,175 of 2,423

Cheers.
In my case, it popped up frequently the error prompt requiring reboot. A hard reset solved this and I've no longer seen such bug.
IME, there are no audible differences between two FWs unless you set unique DSPs on the R version, eg. Vocal DSEE.

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #1,176 of 2,423
Just got my NW-A55L, upgraded FW after few albums + changed area to E2 to uncap volume and to get radio. It was good before updates, but after those I would rate it excellent. Thanks for MrWalkman for providing FW (I am running DMP-A50 FE version). Now I just need to get those Sony ier-nw500n/ne headphones, just to test what they can offer in terms of functionality.

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #1,177 of 2,423
I want to buy this Walkman but have few questions please:

1) What's the best way to get a proper line out signal from Walkman to use with an external (headphone) amp please?
2) Is it possible to connect this to an external DAC and if so the cable needed please?

Dec 27, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #1,178 of 2,423
My A55 can drive my Sennheiser HD598SR's to fairly high levels but I tend to use the player mostly with IEM's. So far I'm getting excellent results with the following:-

Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's
Fiio FD1
iBasso IT01

The player also works really nicely with my Sony WH1000MX2 and Lypertek Tevi bluetooth headphones without any problems. Strangely though, the Sony WF1000XM3's don't make a good match as the player doesn't support AAC and the headphones don't support ApTX. I think Sony definitely dropped the ball with that one.

Dec 27, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #1,179 of 2,423

1) What's the best way to get a proper line out signal from Walkman to use with an external (headphone) amp please?
2) Is it possible to connect this to an external DAC and if so the cable needed please?

1) Yes you can get an adapter to the WM port that gives an analog line out
2) Yes you can get a cable with a WM plug one end and usb the other end that allows you to use it as a usb dac. I’ve never done it so am not sure if the included cable is enough.

you can also use it as a source into an external dac and you can use it as a BT receiver. I can’t remember if any of these features require the MrWalkman modded fw or are all available stock

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #1,180 of 2,423

1/ the WM port, obviously. There are WM port ->3,5mm pieces or cables if you want an analog signal.
2/ the Fiio L27 cable is the one you want, it's WMport ->USB micro cable

Dec 27, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #1,181 of 2,423

1) Yes. But its signal is quite small. The amp might need a high volume.
2) Yes. But you can't apply any EQs or adjustments on the output signal.

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #1,183 of 2,423
I must say that my LG V20 sounded superior. It sounded more spacious. Too bad it's too large and heavy to me.

Yeah, the stock A55 was not that impressive to me either.

However, I bought it (second hand) especially so I could work on the modified firmware, so it wasn't long before it wasn't stock anymore.

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #1,184 of 2,423
Yeah, the stock A55 was not that impressive to me either.

However, I bought it (second hand) especially so I could work on the modified firmware, so it wasn't long before it wasn't stock anymore.
I really appreciate you helping people get the most out of their music players for free. You're a hero buddy. God bless you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back