Sony NW-A50 Series
Jan 4, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #676 of 2,411
Sooo here are a few listens impressions: the music seems slightly more bloated compared to my Cayin N3. I can also very well hear the poor quality of my mp3s much more with the Sony than the N3. I love love love the UI and it's so much better than the N3, imo. I was also surprised that it was thinner and lighter than the N3. The problem, though: it takes about 10 minutes for all of my . music to load, just like how it was when I had the Fiio X1. The N3 was immediate with loading...

This is still a good buy for me because I was so tired of my N3. I can't wait to break it in some more!

After 3 days of use, I’m starting to get used to this dap. I just pulled out my 1AM2 with a Penon Hi-Fi Balanced adapter and listened to the A55 and I’m in LOVE!!!!! Wheeewwwww! I think these two are an excellent pair. I was originally listening with the Sony WI-1000X behind the neck earbuds which I got on Dec. 19th and I love them so much, but they’re just slightly darker when listening to the A55. I think this is what made me initially feel it was too bloated.

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #677 of 2,411
Picked up a new Sony NW-A50 with the noise canceling buds from Japan for what I'd consider a great price. Was looking for a replacement to my Shanling M0 I accidentally sent through the wash and I'm sort of over Chifi at this moment anyways.

Anyways, as a good example of Sony house sound (it's been awhile and looking forward to hearing the current Sony house sound) what closed back headphone or possibly IEM could I pick up that my NW-A50 will drive well (used market from Japan is an option too)? I guess I am on a bit of budget, since this is my portable / gym rig (Won't be able to splash out on that $700 Sony IEM). I've got my main listening rig of a Aeon Open and Schiit Asgard 3.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #678 of 2,411
Since Sony `support` is worthless we cannot expect a fix for the database issue and that means I will return the A55L.
I might make a video of the A55L databasing a 1TB microsdxc card to show the incompetence in designing and programming the device.
Or did somebody find a workaround?

Jan 5, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #679 of 2,411
Since Sony `support` is worthless we cannot expect a fix for the database issue and that means I will return the A55L.
I might make a video of the A55L databasing a 1TB microsdxc card to show the incompetence in designing and programming the device.
Or did somebody find a workaround?
I don't think they ever said the dap support 1TB micro sd card tho

Jan 5, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #680 of 2,411
On the Sony site they say the nwa50 line supports up to 2 TB
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00171492

It's annoying but truly you can just pause the dap and once your screen switches off you can go for days and I just saw today that after a while in pause (more than 24 h) the dap switches off by itself. So best solution is the recommended trick of pause+screen off.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #681 of 2,411
Jan 5, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #682 of 2,411
See https://www.sony.co.th/en/electroni...players-nw-nwz-a-series/nw-a55/specifications
They write: Micro SD Micro SDHC Micro SDXC (without limits).
Also the card thingie is poorly documented and not easy to exchange.
Else it would be less of an issue.
Altternative players lean towards smartphone architecture and that is not what I want: why do I need multicore cpu, android, wifi, bluetooth etc when I simply want to play hires audio from a card?

Jan 5, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #684 of 2,411
See https://www.sony.co.th/en/electroni...players-nw-nwz-a-series/nw-a55/specifications
Altternative players lean towards smartphone architecture and that is not what I want: why do I need multicore cpu, android, wifi, bluetooth etc when I simply want to play hires audio from a card?
Is it the boot loop problem?

Jan 5, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #685 of 2,411
Never bought a Sony sd card, mine is a Samsung 512gb and it was recognised without a problem.
Those with 1tb could give their feedback though, it would be interesting.
I also use sandisk 256gb card. Idk with the higher storage micro sd tho. But i've ever read that someone even manage to put 4tb micro sd on the walkman. Idk it's either the a45 or a55

Jan 5, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #686 of 2,411
The initial scan on the boot is really the only annoying thing, except for that tiny problem the nwa55 is really a great DAP.
Maybe the possibility of typing a search by name, song or author would be nice but then it would be nearly perfect for 168€ :)

Jan 5, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #687 of 2,411
I also use sandisk 256gb card. Idk with the higher storage micro sd tho. But i've ever read that someone even manage to put 4tb micro sd on the walkman. Idk it's either the a45 or a55

I'm pretty sure 4TB micro SDs don't exist yet. I don't think they've made it to 3TB yet either.

Jan 5, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #689 of 2,411
Just pre-ordered the US version of the A55 with the USB-C port!
Is this from Amazon US?

If yes, I think that product listing is incorrect. A Sony rep just replied today on the product page, saying that the charging port for the US release is still the WM-Port, not USB-C.

5HkR9yW.jpg

Even the product page from Sony US website also states that its WM-Port

https://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nw-a50-series/specifications

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #690 of 2,411
What is exacrly your problem with the 1TB card?

Tested it with my 3 year old WM1A, it has indexed 50k tunes properly.
15782493256387701879790917344608.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back