Sony NW-A50 Series
Nov 6, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #556 of 2,411
Picked up a new SanDisk 1 TB micro SD card. Loading it with music, as I type this. Now, I can just dump my entire FLAC collection on to my Walkman (about 18K tracks)

Will report back on compatibility and time required to "Create Library" after a cold boot.
How much was the 1tb card?

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #557 of 2,411
Nov 6, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #558 of 2,411
Picked up a new SanDisk 1 TB micro SD card. Loading it with music, as I type this. Now, I can just dump my entire FLAC collection on to my Walkman (about 18K tracks)

Will report back on compatibility and time required to "Create Library" after a cold boot.

No pre-existing database and cold boot w/ 18K tracks (mostly Redbook FLAC, with a mix of high-res FLAC, as well as AAC and MP3): 11:32

Of course, a handful of albums with progressive JPEG -encoded album art. Cleaning those up now, but c'mon Sony - what's wrong with progressive JPEGs?

Still, cool that it all works.

By the way, I formatted the microSD card with the Walkman, which turned out to be exFat.

Nov 16, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #559 of 2,411
DSC066411.jpg
So I got my European NW-A55 yesterday, the gold version. Nice little thing and feels good in hand, better than my NW-A35. First thing I did after unboxing it, was to remove the volume limiter. Then loaded up some tracks and did some a/b music testing.

Sound is good, maybe a tiny bit better than the A35 (better treble) but it's not a big difference to my ears.

Nov 17, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #560 of 2,411
So I got my European NW-A55 yesterday, the gold version. Nice little thing and feels good in hand, better than my NW-A35. First thing I did after unboxing it, was to remove the volume limiter. Then loaded up some tracks and did some a/b music testing.

Sound is good, maybe a tiny bit better than the A35 (better treble) but it's not a big difference to my ears.
i will be getting one for commute and bringing it everywhere. For sure German will be capped, so rule of thumb remove the stupid volume cap thingy.
After removing yhe cap will be it able to move the IER-M7?

Nov 17, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #562 of 2,411
i will be getting one for commute and bringing it everywhere. For sure German will be capped, so rule of thumb remove the stupid volume cap thingy.
Not really, you'll need at least zx300 balanced. The nw-a series won't cut it, especially if you listen to stuff with high dynamic range.

Nov 17, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #563 of 2,411

Removing the volume limiter (uncapping) is a must on these European non Android Walkman models.

After listening for hours on a daily basis, my 35 years young ears are beginning to adjust to the sound signature of the A55. Pretty sweet and rich sounding device. It lacks bass in comparison to my old'n trusty NWZ-X1060 but hey, you can't have them all.

I can't comment on the IER-M7 since I don't own them.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #566 of 2,411
Region E2. High gain is available for DSD only.
Ok thank you, i peeked at the info of my wm1A with the destTool and i just used region E in my A55 as well.

So far it sounds good, the EQ presers some add a nice reverb, bigger stage feeling to the tracks. However the surround effects practically destroy the sound. Havent played much with it as mi WM1A is my one Ring to rule them all :D

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #567 of 2,411
Hello all,

I am currently using my lovely Sony 1AM2 over-ears with the balanced 4.4mm cable and a Penon Audio 3.5mm adapter and iBasso IT01 with the Bluetooth Westone cable for my Cayin N3 that's on its last legs :frowning2: and the DAP is now discontinued.

I sent it months ago to get the hardware and software repaired, but Cayin took an entire month just to fix the hardware problem ONLY (it's a long story).

I'm now beginning my research on what DAP I should get next and I felt moved to look back into Sony's DAP offerings; the first and only time I had one was 8 or so years ago and I think I had their mp3 player that cost around $70. Off an on, I've been a Sony audio fangirl and never really embraced it because I wanted to explore what other amazing offerings there were in the world. With that being said, as I stated earlier I want to go all Sony this time around. I've been searching all thru the internet for the Gold NW-A55 and the only sites I found it on (and trusted) was Accessory Jack (which I never heard of until today) http://www.accessoryjack.com/sony-nw-a55-16gb-high-resolution-digital-music-player-walkman-gold.html and the Amazon UK site https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NW-A55L-Walkman-Portable-S-Master-Gold/dp/B07X1TCJDH/ref=sr_1_6?crid=SB3VA42W85Q4&keywords=sony+nwa55&qid=1574556763&s=electronics&sprefix=sony+nwa,electronics,223&sr=1-6&th=1

I also spotted the Silicone case for the player as well (which I'm not too thrilled about; never liked silicone cases). http://www.accessoryjack.com/sony-ckm-nwa50-silicone-case-for-sony-a50-series-walkman-gold.html

Which site do you think I should purchase from? The prices are vastly different, but I don't want to fall into a trap. I've never purchased imported (like, IMPORTED imported) products before, lol... if that makes sense... I also just REALLY want the gold player!!! I saw during my searches that the grayish-black is the more accessible color, but I've been on a brown and gold kick and I won't be satisfied if I don't get the Gold version of this DAP.

I also chose this player because of its many similar features to the Cayin N3 - Bluetooth functionalities, DAC mode, expandable storage, etc.

If this helps, I mostly listen to neo-soul/90s hip hop, jazz fusion, contemporary jazz, and hip hop, some alt and classic rock, and touches of many other genres when I'm in the mood. I use a 200 GB Sandisk micro SD and drag-and-drop via iTunes into painstakingly created folders (because my first "real" DAP was the Fiio X1... *ugh*)

One last thing - I also plan to get these https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-ear-headphones/wi-1000x and purchase them in-store at B&H in NYC https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/cart.jsp to go along with the NW-A55 for my daily commute to work. I used to wear my 1AM2 outside but it's been freezing in NYC and I can't wear a hat comfortably with over-ears. IEMs or earbuds work so much better because I can wear behind-the-neck earmuffs, a hat, and a hood over my head without any extra bulk. IF ONLY THE DAP WAS AVAILABLE AT B&H!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance!
Mesha

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #568 of 2,411
Hello all,

I am currently using my lovely Sony 1AM2 over-ears with the balanced 4.4mm cable and a Penon Audio 3.5mm adapter and iBasso IT01 with the Bluetooth Westone cable for my Cayin N3 that's on its last legs :frowning2: and the DAP is now discontinued.

I sent it months ago to get the hardware and software repaired, but Cayin took an entire month just to fix the hardware problem ONLY (it's a long story).

I'm now beginning my research on what DAP I should get next and I felt moved to look back into Sony's DAP offerings; the first and only time I had one was 8 or so years ago and I think I had their mp3 player that cost around $70. Off an on, I've been a Sony audio fangirl and never really embraced it because I wanted to explore what other amazing offerings there were in the world. With that being said, as I stated earlier I want to go all Sony this time around. I've been searching all thru the internet for the Gold NW-A55 and the only sites I found it on (and trusted) was Accessory Jack (which I never heard of until today) http://www.accessoryjack.com/sony-nw-a55-16gb-high-resolution-digital-music-player-walkman-gold.html and the Amazon UK site https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NW-A55L-Walkman-Portable-S-Master-Gold/dp/B07X1TCJDH/ref=sr_1_6?crid=SB3VA42W85Q4&keywords=sony+nwa55&qid=1574556763&s=electronics&sprefix=sony+nwa,electronics,223&sr=1-6&th=1

I also spotted the Silicone case for the player as well (which I'm not too thrilled about; never liked silicone cases). http://www.accessoryjack.com/sony-ckm-nwa50-silicone-case-for-sony-a50-series-walkman-gold.html

Which site do you think I should purchase from? The prices are vastly different, but I don't want to fall into a trap. I've never purchased imported (like, IMPORTED imported) products before, lol... if that makes sense... I also just REALLY want the gold player!!! I saw during my searches that the grayish-black is the more accessible color, but I've been on a brown and gold kick and I won't be satisfied if I don't get the Gold version of this DAP.

I also chose this player because of its many similar features to the Cayin N3 - Bluetooth functionalities, DAC mode, expandable storage, etc.

If this helps, I mostly listen to neo-soul/90s hip hop, jazz fusion, contemporary jazz, and hip hop, some alt and classic rock, and touches of many other genres when I'm in the mood. I use a 200 GB Sandisk micro SD and drag-and-drop via iTunes into painstakingly created folders (because my first "real" DAP was the Fiio X1... *ugh*)

One last thing - I also plan to get these https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-ear-headphones/wi-1000x and purchase them in-store at B&H in NYC https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/cart.jsp to go along with the NW-A55 for my daily commute to work. I used to wear my 1AM2 outside but it's been freezing in NYC and I can't wear a hat comfortably with over-ears. IEMs or earbuds work so much better because I can wear behind-the-neck earmuffs, a hat, and a hood over my head without any extra bulk. IF ONLY THE DAP WAS AVAILABLE AT B&H!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance!if
Mesha

I have never ordered from accessoryjack myself, believe they are a "grey market" seller with a pretty good reputation around here AFAIK. (there are also eBay grey market exporters that usually have good prices but less reputable than AJ).

Amazon.co.uk price might be higher if it is including VAT- when you log in and set your shipping location it should show you price without VAT in the shopping cart (also be aware some Sony gadgets will not ship to the US). I ordered my Sony N3AP (also not distributed in US) for a great price from there a few years ago with no issues (amazon JP and DE are good to check as well IME).

You may have to format your SD Card for use in the Walkman since Sony uses a preset directory structure... though might be able to get away with just moving all of your folders under a parent folder labeled "Music".

(also I should point out that USB DAC mode has some delay in it and is only suitable for listening to music)

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #569 of 2,411
Not really, you'll need at least zx300 balanced. The nw-a series won't cut it, especially if you listen to stuff with high dynamic range.

I have a IER-M9, and AFAIK it takes about the same power to drive them. I can get them loud at around 60% volume on my Samsung Galaxy S9. Are the lower tier Sony MP3 players that underpowered?

Nov 24, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #570 of 2,411
So far i am licking what i hear from my little A55.

The only minor quirck is that on device infos, there is no audio playback hours like in the WM series and that it mixes tracks in song count no matter if some are put in language learning . Folder named LEARNING ( copued the mp3 from the two CDs included in this book)
15745989456163074691326733530599.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back