Sony NW-A50 Series
Jul 15, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #436 of 2,411
So I just purchased an A45 and a 400 GB microsd. Only problem is, the device doesn't seem to add all my music when it creates the database. It stops around the 200 GB/1400 album/50k songs mark, leaving about 20k songs on the card but not recognized by the player. (And the card is genuine. Even the songs not recognized by the player are seen and usuable when it's plugged into the PC.) i called Sony support and was told that the US A45 only officially supports 128GB, and the European one goes up to 2TB. Is that even a possibility?

In any event, now I see that the A55 is out, which appears to be an updated model? Does anyone have any experience using a microsd card greater than 200GB in the machine, and it actually building a database past 1400 albums/50k songs? Cause I'll just return the A45 and get the A55 if so. (And I know I'm in the A55 topic but, if anyone has any experience with the A45 on this matter I'd love to hear it! Also I should note that the same thing happened with two separate sandisk 400 GB microsd, both purchased from Amazon.)
I had a 256gb in my A45 and it worked fine no problems. Had about 20,000 songs but I only use folder mode, so don't know what the limit is. The majority of non android daps have a song limit though as there is memory limitations. Should be able to browse folders though and select what you want that way.

Jul 15, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #437 of 2,411
I had a 256gb in my A45 and it worked fine no problems. Had about 20,000 songs but I only use folder mode, so don't know what the limit is. The majority of non android daps have a song limit though as there is memory limitations. Should be able to browse folders though and select what you want that way.

Forgot to mention! The missing music does not appear in folder mode either. The folders just stop halfway through the letter T. They only appear on the pc (when the device or microsd alone is plugged in).

Jul 16, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #438 of 2,411
Forgot to mention! The missing music does not appear in folder mode either. The folders just stop halfway through the letter T. They only appear on the pc (when the device or microsd alone is plugged in).
Checking these page, I think there'd be no luck with A55 either:
https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwa40/v1/en/contents/TP0001449071.html
https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwa50/v1/en/contents/TP0001691097.html
I presume that the player scans the folders and puts the file names on its RAM registers. If all register blocks are full, the scanning process will stop.

Jul 16, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #439 of 2,411
Checking these page, I think there'd be no luck with A55 either:
https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwa40/v1/en/contents/TP0001449071.html
https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwa50/v1/en/contents/TP0001691097.html
I presume that the player scans the folders and puts the file names on its RAM registers. If all register blocks are full, the scanning process will stop.

Urghh... are you sure about that? I'm sure I've read people having luck storing large amounts of music on these things. And I was able to fit about 48k songs on; much higher than the 20k listed on that link.

If that really is the case though... can you recommend a player that might fit my needs? I really do like the touch screen and bluetooth functionality of this one.

Jul 16, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #440 of 2,411
I've also seen posts saying that people have much more than 20.000 songs on their Sony DAPs and all are shown in the library...

If you're looking for an Android-based DAP (hopefully without such a possible song number limitation) you could take a closer look on the FiiO M6. Connectivity-monster, small, light, cheap, overall good, but not (yet) perfect UI and much shorter battery life than the Sonys...

I sent my M6 back mainly because of the battery drain. The a55 here is a much nicer device for me (much more battery life, smooth UI, feel, looks, better EQ), but others prefer the M6 which has more power than the Sony, in case you might need that...

Regards,
Sven

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #441 of 2,411
Urghh... are you sure about that? I'm sure I've read people having luck storing large amounts of music on these things. And I was able to fit about 48k songs on; much higher than the 20k listed on that link.

If that really is the case though... can you recommend a player that might fit my needs? I really do like the touch screen and bluetooth functionality of this one.
It is usually the case that manufacturers understate these kinds of vague specifications for safe. Like a bridge can sustain as 3 times as much weight people indicate on its warning signs.
As MetalWarrior says, you may join to the Android masterrace. But you need to compromise either battery drain or big size.

Jul 16, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #442 of 2,411
I've also seen posts saying that people have much more than 20.000 songs on their Sony DAPs and all are shown in the library...

If you're looking for an Android-based DAP (hopefully without such a possible song number limitation) you could take a closer look on the FiiO M6. Connectivity-monster, small, light, cheap, overall good, but not (yet) perfect UI and much shorter battery life than the Sonys...

I sent my M6 back mainly because of the battery drain. The a55 here is a much nicer device for me (much more battery life, smooth UI, feel, looks, better EQ), but others prefer the M6 which has more power than the Sony, in case you might need that...

Regards,
Sven
It is usually the case that manufacturers understate these kinds of vague specifications for safe. Like a bridge can sustain as 3 times as much weight people indicate on its warning signs.
As MetalWarrior says, you may join to the Android masterrace. But you need to compromise either battery drain or big size.

Honestly, that sounds like it might be my best option at this point! I saw at least one account of someone with 60k songs on their M6. Is there any disadvantages to that player I should know about, besides the battery (which honestly isn't a huge deal for me; I already plug all my electronics in before I go to bed)? Is there a different Fiio model that might be better as well? The M6 seems like the newest, and at a competitive price point to boot. (Sorry to go so off topic from A55 discussion!)

Jul 17, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #443 of 2,411
Well, the M6 has no permanent back and home buttons on its software. It uses a swipe up gesture from the left bottom of the screen to go back and from the right bottom to go to the home screen.
I found myself failing at these gestures 1 time out of 10 which was a little annoying. My nephew gave his M6 back, too, because of battery life and the gestures.
Oh, and the M6 has its headphone jack on the top, which is not perfect when pulling it out of a pocket. I do that quite often and the Walkman has it on the bottom, which - for me - is the right way to go. You pull it out and hold it in your hand in up side up - nice.
The M6 upside down - meh.^^

There are OTA updates and hopefully FiiO will do their best to get the UI more smooth, but I doubt it well ever get close to the Sony a55 experience which is very close to iPhone level (scrolling in particular)...

We also went with the Sony as ist features all usual hardware buttons on the side which the FiiO doesn't. And we love to have a hold button - Sony has it, FiiO not.
a55 got a 6-band EQ with -5 to +5 db.
M6 got a 10-Band -3 to +3 which I didn't like on the go, because I was not able to raise the bass enough in loud environment.

(I think the name Walkman really matches the a series from Sony. Perfect for on the go.)

On the other hand with the M6 you got all wireless stuff you might want, more output power, a bunch of apps you can install (but usage is a bit sluggish).
The software seemed overall good and doing all you need. Sound was good, too. I think signature is quite neutral.

Maybe the Shanling M0 might be interesting for you, aswell...

Greeez,
Sven

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #446 of 2,411
was thinking something not silicone, preferably exposing the buttons. I don't like how buttons feel with a case over. Maybe I will search aliexpress more.

I have bought a set of nice silicon case, 2 screen protector films and a wristband for around 7 USD off Aliexpress/China (sorry no link). Delivery time to Germany approx. 2 weeks.
Very satisfied.

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #447 of 2,411
was thinking something not silicone, preferably exposing the buttons. I don't like how buttons feel with a case over. Maybe I will search aliexpress more.

I got my cases and screen protectors from Aliexpress, too. Silicon and buttons covered. Just how I like it. But there is one that is more of an open design hardcase. You might like that one. You can also find it on amazon .com if that helps...

German Amazon started selling a silicon case, too. Maybe there is a european version of the a55 coming soon...?:thinking:

Btw. a45 screen protectors fit almost perfectly on the a55 screen. You just may have to cut 0.5 to 1.0 mm per side and that's it...:thumbsup:

Greeez,
Sven

Jul 25, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #448 of 2,411

In any event, now I see that the A55 is out, which appears to be an updated model? Does anyone have any experience using a microsd card greater than 200GB in the machine, and it actually building a database past 1400 albums/50k songs? Cause I'll just return the A45 and get the A55 if so. (And I know I'm in the A55 topic but, if anyone has any experience with the A45 on this matter I'd love to hear it! Also I should note that the same thing happened with two separate sandisk 400 GB microsd, both purchased from Amazon.)

I have a 400GB microSD card in mine, right now. Pretty full, using Redbook and High-res, so nowhere near 50K tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back