Sony NW-A50 Series
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #333 of 2,411
I've heard that A50 series support 128gb sd card. But i don't see any information about it on their website-s
Does anyone knows how much A55's sd card support?

Hi all, a happy user of A50 with two 128gb sdcards, two different brands Sabdisk and V-gen - class 10. Only 1 to 2 min for creating database. Hope it helps.

Jan 30, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #334 of 2,411
Does anyone knows how much A55's sd card support?

I personally use a 400 GB micro SD card. Mine is fully loaded with a mix of formats and scrolling/browsing is completely smooth.

I haven't seen any (credible) micro SD cards above 512 GB, so I expect there is no practical limit.

Feb 14, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #336 of 2,411
Wow it is dead in here, I can almost hear the echo.

I am guessing the A55 isn't very available at the moment and the fact it isn't on sony.ca yet is strange. In the past the A series would be listed as Coming Soon long before now. Makes me wonder if it will be released in North America. It may be time to completely remove the Sony A series from my potential list of DAP's going forward.

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #337 of 2,411
Wow it is dead in here, I can almost hear the echo.

I am guessing the A55 isn't very available at the moment and the fact it isn't on sony.ca yet is strange. In the past the A series would be listed as Coming Soon long before now. Makes me wonder if it will be released in North America. It may be time to completely remove the Sony A series from my potential list of DAP's going forward.
I would say DAP market itself is dead. People in the real world don't even know what DAP means. I had to say "MP3 player" to make sense.
I doubt whether Sony sells even 500K or million units of each revision. Most of the Chinese DAPs have a production run of 10K or 25K units.

Head-fi and audiophilia(?) are a tiny, tiny,tiny segment of the real world.
Don't expect it to get better since the younger generation has moved on to Bluetooth headphones fully, and smartphones serve them without any issue that seems to affect only audiophiles:thinking:

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #338 of 2,411
I am confused LOL
Dx90j and A50
P_20190216_092810_1.jpg

Feb 16, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #341 of 2,411
I am currently using nwz-S738 and its default noise cancelling earphone. However its battery has deteriorated over the years. I am barely getting 10 hours of playback with one full charge... Anyone know if i will be able to get at least the same (or even better) quality of music and noise cancelling effect with A56 and its IER-NW500N earphone? Or is there any specific combos (DAP + noise cancelling earphone) recommended at the same price range?

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #342 of 2,411
I've just purchased a Sony NW-A55 from Accessory Jack. I still own the A35 bought a couple of years ago from the same company, so can compare both side by side.

First of all, thank you to Accessory Jack. Delivery was quick and with no extra duty to pay. No volume limits like the EU models. Highly recommended company.

Let me get one thing straight. My major annoyance with the A35 was the fact that only the volume could be changed when listening via bluetooth headphones or speakers.

There was no way to alter the EQ or sound options unless the player was used with a wired headphone.

I Bought the A55 because a member on this forum who purchased one, stated that the sound could now be altered to preference while using bluetooth.

For anyone purchasing this DAP soley for that reason... DO NOT BOTHER! YOU CAN NOT!

EQ and other all ways to alter the sound are STILL DISABLED using bluetooth!

Why? Why? Why? Sony?

In fact, to be blunt, I'm finding very little difference in sound between the two units compared. Sound is still excellent but not a major difference between the two ( I use 1More Triple driver IEM's for wired use and Sony MDR-1ABT Bluetooth headphones for wireless sound )
To be honest, if I'd have read the correct information about the lack of sound controls using bluetooth, I wouldn't have purchased, but Hey Ho...Never mind eh? The A35 Will be used in the car for infotainment.

Anyway, to get back to differences, the unit is slightly more rounded, but if you go for the black version, you will see that its more a bronzy brown black compared to the graphite/carbon black of the A30 series.

Personally, I prefer the old black colour.

I've not used the DAC now built in, but that may appeal to some members.

Vinyl processor function did not make a lot of difference to the sound.

A new 256gb card from Integral worked fine without any problems.

I updated the firmware to 1.01 with ease. Scrolling is fine but sometimes does stutter very slightly. In my opinion, still not as smooth as an iphone.

Battery life seems good.

Anyway, not a good upgrade for me. Hope this helps others thinking of purchasing.

Its still a cracking DAP for the money however, if its your first venture into HD Audio

Tony.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #344 of 2,411
Ok.. Having read back on some of the comments on this thread, I realise now that apparently the sound signature with wireless equipment can be changed in the unit, but only in Bluetooth RECEIVER mode?

Apologies if this is true. I read it wrong and was lead to believe that adjustments could be made while listening to music through the unit with bluetooth headphones, like any other basic device.

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #345 of 2,411
Ok.. Having read back on some of the comments on this thread, I realise now that apparently the sound signature with wireless equipment can be changed in the unit, but only in Bluetooth RECEIVER mode?

Apologies if this is true. I read it wrong and was lead to believe that adjustments could be made while listening to music through the unit with bluetooth headphones, like any other basic device.

Correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back