Sony NW-A50 Series
Dec 25, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #211 of 2,418
hey you all. I'm currently looking to replace my NW A17 I bought in Japan back in the day.
I thought about buying the NW-A45 in Germany für 160€...but since the NWA50 came out maybe I should wait?

What do you all think, is it worth the wait and paying around 40-50€ more, or can I got and buy the NW-A45 without loosing too much? I googled but could not find any ground breaking differences between the two..
I'll use it with my Sony xm 3 and the sennheiser momentum true wireless
Thank you for your input :D

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #214 of 2,418
How is R3 bad? I saw alot of positive reviews on it

i don't know if i have defective product or not(from kickstarter) but to me R3 doesn't have musical sound and more clinic sound..bass is just ok and treble is mostly hot with my IEMs anyway...almost unbearable with my P1 and ostry kc09, plus sometimes UI get stuck.
maybe its my music preference (metal/rock) that doesn't bode well with R3

much better experience with Shanling m0

Dec 25, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #215 of 2,418
Forget clumsy DX150. It's bulk, heavy, GUI works extremely slow, sound is muddy and flat (tried AMP6 and AMP7). Sony in comparsion is small, speedy, sounds great.

Woah. Thanks for this. I'm actually read that the iBasso DX150 is not "pocketable". What's your IEM by the way that you tried with it? Maybe I'll wait the Fiio M9 to go on-stock then I'll decide between them.

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #216 of 2,418
Just noticed my WM-port LOD cable does not work when using in bluetooth receiver mode- something to consider if anyone looking at this likes to stack with an amp.

literally no reason to keep R3 if you have A55...that DAP was such a disappointment.

I disagree, though I probably won't keep the R3 for much longer. I prefer A55 sound I think, and w/ the receiver function Sony are closer to contemporary DAP features, but I quite like the R3 as a transport, the UI is pretty decent, and it has a lot of extra functionality that some people might get use out of, just not me.

hey you all. I'm currently looking to replace my NW A17 I bought in Japan back in the day.
I thought about buying the NW-A45 in Germany für 160€...but since the NWA50 came out maybe I should wait?

What do you all think, is it worth the wait and paying around 40-50€ more, or can I got and buy the NW-A45 without loosing too much? I googled but could not find any ground breaking differences between the two..

Bluetooth receiver function and some small physical design changes seem to be the only difference. I heard a45 in a store and they seem pretty similar sound wise (perhaps just out of habit I actually kind of prefer A17 in some ways), but that shouldn't matter for bluetooth headphones (also, reciever function does not work when using w/ bluetooth cans so A55 might not have any advantage in this use case).

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #217 of 2,418

I recently received the A55 and the most thing I love is how fast browsing through folder and songs, its a very noticeable upgrade speed than previous models.

Dec 28, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #222 of 2,418
@porrrtico

eglobal... yea no thanks

1) They lie about stock
2) They lie about origin (tell you shop is local, ship from china)
3) In Spain they use Seur, Might as well break/Lose is at origin before giving to them.
4) already had a nice expiriance with them, Seur lost a pair of UE900, Paid for insured, Insurance paid Eglobal verified with local and international courier, Eglobal was "still investigeting" and stalling instead of giving me back the money, had to use Paypal pay protection,

Eglobal can go F itself. Might as well buy it from a Top Manta.

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #224 of 2,418
Bluetooth receiver function and some small physical design changes seem to be the only difference. I heard a45 in a store and they seem pretty similar sound wise (perhaps just out of habit I actually kind of prefer A17 in some ways), but that shouldn't matter for bluetooth headphones (also, reciever function does not work when using w/ bluetooth cans so A55 might not have any advantage in this use case).

I recently received the A55 and the most thing I love is how fast browsing through folder and songs, its a very noticeable upgrade speed than previous models.

Thank you both. maybe I should keep my A17 another year..I actually want to replace it because I'm sick of the japanese menu. I bought the 64GB version in the sony store osaka :) and you can't change the language. while I speak the language to some degree, english is just more relaxing to my brain. but with so little changes...I don't know.

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #225 of 2,418
Thank you both. maybe I should keep my A17 another year..I actually want to replace it because I'm sick of the japanese menu. I bought the 64GB version in the sony store osaka :) and you can't change the language. while I speak the language to some degree, english is just more relaxing to my brain. but with so little changes...I don't know.

Have you tried DestTool? https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
Most of the comments I read about it were for removing EU volume cap, but it looks like you can change language region also. Might be worth a try (plus if you brick it somehow, at least you are considering getting a new player anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back