Sony NW-A50 Series
Sep 27, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #46 of 2,411
Congrats and great news! I am seeing these on eBay, already, from Japan.

Two questions:

1. Do the Japanese versions support an English user interface? I may get impatient and order an import model, rather than waiting for the US release.

2. Have you tried the bluetooth receiver function?

The second part is crucial, for me - I want to stream stuff from my Google Pixel 2 (which supports LDAC) to the NW-A55 as a bluetooth receiver DAC/amp for my IEMs and 'phones.

I got the HK version so not too sure about the JP ones.
I don't have an Android but tried it with an iPhone X and the A50 shows "AAC" which is right.

Looks basically like the A40 series Walkman but it's made of aluminum now...no plastic. is that correct? Good price for it at Accessory Jack for those who don't want to wait to get it domestically.

Backplate is plastic. I believe they need this in order for NFC to work?

iDKBdB6.jpg

Sep 27, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #49 of 2,411
OK so the build is probably the same as the A40.

Same size but due to rounded sides makes it feel smaller. No search function. Believe the software is basically more or less the A40

I thought the A40 was all plastic and the A50 series has a milled aluminum frame?

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #51 of 2,411
what are the features that are worth upgrading from the A40? and is the browsing folders and songs faster than the A40?

Don't know if they are worth upgrading for but the main differences are 1) New version of '"HSEE HX" now AI, 2) LDAC bluetooth receiver mode. 3)Vinyl Processor filter - simulates the qualities of vinyl supposedly. The body is slightly thinner and taller. Personally if I had pulled the trigger on the A45 I wouldn't bother. Feels a little like Sony is starting to phone it in with the A series for the first time no significant redesign from A30/A40.

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #53 of 2,411
if anyone bought it, is browsing folders and artists faster than previous models?

From what I have read the hardware is pretty much the same as the A40 so unless they were able to optimize the software better I wouldn't expect much of an improvement.

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #55 of 2,411
I thought the A40 was all plastic and the A50 series has a milled aluminum frame?

On the Sony website it says "A rigid premium aluminum milled frame provides superior rigidity for low impedance and clear, stable sound and solid bass." So the frame is aluminum but the back is likely plastic which is probably the case for the A40 series Walkman too.

Oct 1, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #57 of 2,411
Will the Bluetooth receiver function utilise the LDAC codec? I'm wary since Sony didn't state explicitly that LDAC will be used bidirectionally in Bluetooth.

I would be surprised if Sony didn't use LDAC in the receiver part - LDAC is kind of their big differentiator, feature-wise.

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #59 of 2,411
Will the Bluetooth receiver function utilise the LDAC codec? I'm wary since Sony didn't state explicitly that LDAC will be used bidirectionally in Bluetooth.

Considering the Shanling M0 supports LDAC receiver function it would be shocking if Sony didn't.

Oct 6, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #60 of 2,411
My NW-A55 (Red) should be here on Friday.

I will do an unboxing and an informal write-up, comparing it to my A17, as well as with my PHA-3, using both Shure SE535LTD IEMs and my Sony MDR-Z7 'phones.

I will also test out the Bluetooth receiver function with my Google Pixel 2.

Can't wait...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back