Sony NW-A50 Series
Oct 4, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #1,006 of 2,411
Yeah, about this unfortunately Bluetooth on SONY Walkman Players... I've expected that EQ settings will still not work with Your mod (which
is anyway AWeSooooMe MF mod! :) ), but it affects the display setting too, so when I listen via BT, the analog VU meter is off... SONY, please, we live in the year 2020 and besides fake viruses we also have great TWS machines (You know, those little headphones without any cables. But wait! - You produce those too!!!)

TBH to SONY - recently NW-A100 and NW-ZX500 got a serious Bluetooth updates making the SONY BT back to XXI century (it enables EQ settings via BT finally). I've wrote to SONY and wait for their response if they plan to do the same with NW-A55. Well, after all those years - fingers crossed.

No, Bluetooth works like before.

Also, the stock-based DMP-A50 is still available :)

Oct 5, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #1,007 of 2,411
It's okay to charge the device from the PC, but when filling with the charger, the device is turned on, I turn it off, I didn't recharge it with the charger before the re-opening mode, is it because of the mode or is it always like this when this device is used on the charger?

Oct 5, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #1,008 of 2,411
The player will always turn on when plugging in the USB cable.

Oct 6, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #1,009 of 2,411
Yeah, about this unfortunately Bluetooth on SONY Walkman Players... I've expected that EQ settings will still not work with Your mod (which
is anyway AWeSooooMe MF mod! :) ), but it affects the display setting too, so when I listen via BT, the analog VU meter is off... SONY, please, we live in the year 2020 and besides fake viruses we also have great TWS machines (You know, those little headphones without any cables. But wait! - You produce those too!!!)

TBH to SONY - recently NW-A100 and NW-ZX500 got a serious Bluetooth updates making the SONY BT back to XXI century (it enables EQ settings via BT finally). I've wrote to SONY and wait for their response if they plan to do the same with NW-A55. Well, after all those years - fingers crossed.

Considering it took two years to bring it to North America I wouldn't hold my breath on updates for the A55. The last firmware update was August of last year and it was to address a bluetooth issue. Unless they plan on releasing an A65 the A55 is likely going to remain as is.

Oct 6, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #1,010 of 2,411
Considering it took two years to bring it to North America I wouldn't hold my breath on updates for the A55. The last firmware update was August of last year and it was to address a bluetooth issue. Unless they plan on releasing an A65 the A55 is likely going to remain as is.

You are right and I'am affraid it too.During these three years since I bought NW-A55 I've always missed a possibility to set EQ via BT and specifically: the bass... I had Audio-Technica TWS CKS5TW, which supposed to be the "Solid Bass". Only "supposed", beacause without any app I still felt lack of bass (!). On march I got SHaNLiNG Q1 and stayed with it, beacuse it has full support to set EQ via BT (ridiculous - SHaNLiNG can, SONY doesn't give a crap). Two months ago I got SONY WF-SP800N, which, again - "supposed" to be the "eXTRa BaSS". Yeah, right, so what, when I couldn't go back to NW-A55 even with the Clear Bass Set to 10 (!).

My journey with the "searching for the bass of NW-A55" has ended quite recently and the winner is..... TRoNSMaRT APoLLo BoLD !!! With A55 this TWS brings the wide smile back on my face and the deep bass on the sub level, which my beloved old skool jungle music deserved - back to my bass insatiable ears !!! Plus - TAB has surprisingly good ANC, and I mean - really good, because I have this SONY ones to comparison.

The second reason, which added even more flavor to my experience with "A55 Drum & Bass" was Mr. Walkman's DMP-Z1 mod. Now I feel I'LL never go my A55 + TAB away. Perfect duo! I was thinking that I could even stay with SONY WF-SP800N and Mr. Walkman's DMP-1Z mod, but - You know me now, bass is the base :) I'am strictly portable man, I'LL never (never say never) go back to cables and I hope my little experience will help somebody.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #1,011 of 2,411
Funny to see A65...

Dear all,

Can those using A50R (R for Reloaded?) confirm something for me?

On all (Z1 maybe?) devices running Walkman OS, there is this setting:

Hint
  • If you do not want the Walkman to charge from the computer, remove the check mark from [Charge this player from the connected device]. Tap the menu items in the following order.

c_option.png
    – [Settings] – [USB DAC Settings] ([Function Settings]) – [Charge this player from the connected device].

However, if the USB port on the computer is set to supply power constantly to the connected device, the Walkman may be charged by the computer.

https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwa40/v1/en/contents/TP0001492504.html

Let me explain: Sony VAIO PCs and IBM ThinkPads have a battery charging limit you can set to 50, 80, or any (lenovo) % so you can charge between 65-75%, for those who believe in the results published some years ago. Lenovo has a problem where, if you don't charge to 100% for a long time, it somehow messes up the circuitry and when you get down to 45%, it'll suddenly drop to 6%, and the only way around that is to charge to 100% and stay there. Then you can use it without dropping to 6%. Still, IBM truly did a good job there - I don't buy any other brands than ThinkPad, especially now the batteries are not removable.

Further, since IC Recorders from Sony can be used without alkaline batteries - connect it to USB and you can record audio 24/7! - I thought the same could apply to Walkmans - if you remove the lithium battery, unless they have some code to prevent startup without the battery like with Android phones, you could probably just use it with only a USB cable providing electricity. Note that before the USB DAC mode came in 2017, some old models couldn't be used while connected to USB (either PC or charger), so there was a hack involving removing the 2 data wires of the USB and only using 2 charger wires - this way one could charge AND use simultaneously.

The problem here is that Sony's text is ambiguous. Common sense dictates that all these crappy devices like to charge the battery first, and then discharge the battery, even though there's plenty of USB power being provided right there! They just can't use the USB directly (unlike almost any PC since the 90s). Hence I dislike Android and prefer PCs.

I believe the IC Recorder (not current models) 'USB only' method might apply to walkmans because they're highly related like family in the Sony product line. I interpret the instructions above to mean: A50R will stop charging but will NOT begin discharging its battery, rather, it will use USB only - if after using it this way for some hours, and the % is still the same - not lower - then I am correct. If the battery goes down to 10% on USB DAC non-charging mode, then I guess the engineers botched it. But in that case, shouldn't these instructions warn you? Like with 'be wary of the battery running out?' Instead it says 'Hint!'. And if we add in the fact that some USB ports with constant current will charge the battery anyway, does this mean that the Walkman isn't able to use up all of the USB electricity it asks for, and the extra part gets into the battery?

More to come.

Oct 6, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #1,012 of 2,411
You are right and I'am affraid it too.During these three years since I bought NW-A55 I've always missed a possibility to set EQ via BT and specifically: the bass... I had Audio-Technica TWS CKS5TW, which supposed to be the "Solid Bass". Only "supposed", beacause without any app I still felt lack of bass (!). On march I got SHaNLiNG Q1 and stayed with it, beacuse it has full support to set EQ via BT (ridiculous - SHaNLiNG can, SONY doesn't give a crap). Two months ago I got SONY WF-SP800N, which, again - "supposed" to be the "eXTRa BaSS". Yeah, right, so what, when I couldn't go back to NW-A55 even with the Clear Bass Set to 10 (!).

My journey with the "searching for the bass of NW-A55" has ended quite recently and the winner is..... TRoNSMaRT APoLLo BoLD !!! With A55 this TWS brings the wide smile back on my face and the deep bass on the sub level, which my beloved old skool jungle music deserved - back to my bass insatiable ears !!! Plus - TAB has surprisingly good ANC, and I mean - really good, because I have this SONY ones to comparison.

The second reason, which added even more flavor to my experience with "A55 Drum & Bass" was Mr. Walkman's DMP-Z1 mod. Now I feel I'LL never go my A55 + TAB away. Perfect duo! I was thinking that I could even stay with SONY WF-SP800N and Mr. Walkman's DMP-1Z mod, but - You know me now, bass is the base :) I'am strictly portable man, I'LL never (never say never) go back to cables and I hope my little experience will help somebody.

I understand the attraction of bluetooth iem's and headphones. But I have never heard any bluetooth headphones that sound as good as my wired Viso Hp50's and P5S2's. Not to mention the added weight of bluetooth headphones (can't stand iem's). I have in the past owned some really good headphones for over a decade (Koss Porta Pros for 25 years) which won't be the case with bluetooth headphones due to the battery wearing out. Yes you can use bluetooth headphones wired but again you have the added weight even when going wired. Finally the premium you have to pay for bluetooth headphones because of the battery and extra circuitry. I love my NAD Viso HP50's so much I bought a second backup pair since they are discontinued and plan to use them for a very long time.

I am interested in trying moded firmware for the A55 once I grab one, hopefully Black Friday.

Oct 6, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #1,013 of 2,411
But anyway, what is the purpose of not charging the walkman? To stop the PC battery getting too low? To use the walkman ’s battery instead – it ca n’t be right?
There is a setting to charge the unit from the connected device in the Walkman's USB-DAC setting, but does it use the NW-A55 battery or is it only USB power supply?
I interpret the above as: The A55 stops charging but does not start discharging the battery. Rather, I only use USB-if the% are the same after a few hours of use this way-not less-I'm right. I want to confirm that.
But is it correct to say "A55 stops charging but does not start discharging the battery"?
If you don't start discharging the battery, you're probably using only your computer's power supply.
If the% changes, it is difficult to tell whether the battery is discharged.

Oct 6, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #1,014 of 2,411
iphone 4s + apple camera kit + walkman cable = the connected device takes too much power (doesn't work)
There is an option in settings for USB DAC Settings, uncheck the Charge this player from the connected device, and iPhone 4s works, so I'd assume that current iPhones will work as well.

First of all, the PHA-1 is designed to operate normally by supplying power when connected to microUSB, and only when the output is insufficient, the PHA-1 main unit also drives the battery.

Oct 6, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #1,015 of 2,411
SONY Walkman NW-A45 Disassembly and battery replacement

1 Remove the cover on the main unit.
2 Remove the cover under the main body.
There are two 3 screws, so remove them.
4 Remove the cover on the back of the main unit.
5 There are 4 screws, so remove them.
6 Peel off the black cellophane above the battery wiring.
7 Remove one screw.
8 Flip the battery cover.
9 Remove the battery

According to the disassembled photo of the previous model NW-A40 series, the capacity of the installed battery seems to be 500mAh. The NW-A50 series will have the same battery capacity. The battery capacity of smartphones at this time is 3000mAh class, but if it is 500mAh, it is expected that the battery life will drop suddenly if the current consumption increases a little.

According to the help guide, the NW-A50 series has "Bluetooth (transmission mode) MP3 (128 kbps) / SBC connection priority about 20 hours, FLAC (96 kHz / 24 bit) / LDAC connection priority (automatic) about 13 hours, content format. Battery life can be shortened by up to 45% depending on the settings of and connected devices. "," When "Equalizer" or "DSEE HX" of "Various sound quality settings" is enabled, all are "Off". By comparison, battery life is about 70% shorter. Depending on the situation, the battery life will be reduced to 7.15 hours with FLAC (96 kHz / 24 bit) / LDAC when connected via Bluetooth, and up to 9 hours with FLAC (96 kHz / 24 bit) when connected via wire. ..
https://www.sony.jp/support/walkman/guide/nw-a50s/contents/TP0001825742.html

Turn off the power when not in use as a way to extend battery life, set [Auto power off setting], set [Screen off timer] to a short time, adjust the screen brightness to dark, sound quality function It introduces turning off all settings, turning off when not using the Bluetooth function, turning off when not using the NFC function, etc., and if you stack these little by little, you will get closer to the expected battery life. Things will be possible.
https://www.sony.jp/support/walkman/guide/nw-a50s/contents/TP0001691174.html
Lithium-ion batteries typically reach 80% of their original performance after 300-500 charges and discharges, and then rapidly deteriorate and become unusable after a certain limit.
If you charge it every day, it will take one to one and a half years, but if you charge it once a week, it will take about five to ten years.
If you limit the charging to about 80-90%, you can expect that the number of times will be doubled or more.

The temperature of the battery also has a great effect, so if it is exposed to a high temperature environment such as putting it in a case or using it in a hot place, the battery will be extremely damaged by itself.
In fact, in most environments, the time to noticeable battery deterioration will be well below the theoretical number of charges.

That said, players are unlikely to be charged every day.

Power supply
Built-in lithium-ion rechargeable battery
USB power supply (supplied from a computer by connecting the included USB cable)

Like old IC Recorders which didn’t have internal batteries, USB alone is enough to power an old Walkman? New IC Rec and new Walkman can do USB alone? – it does use USB but it’ll charge too! New IC Rec – can’t take batt out. But PCM-D10 is OK because you can!

*Note that battery will be charged unless the device uses more electricity than can allow charging? (e.g. HS Power control still charges if CPU isn’t used enough).

Do not sleep with headphones on. Headphone cord while sleeping
It can get tangled in the neck and cause suffocation.
Do not start, restart, wake up from sleep mode, or exit the computer while the Walkman is connected via USB.

When the "Careful charging" function of this unit is set to "On", charging stops when the battery charge reaches about 90%. Battery care mode is the function that reduces deterioration of the battery by not charging the battery fully or a 100 % of full charge. When this function is activated, charging stops at about 90 % of the full charge.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #1,016 of 2,411
So... just wanted to ask, has anyone a/ b a45 with a55 with the modded firmware? I’m staring at a used a55 and im wondering if it’s worth the upgrade from a45. It’s just shy of 180usd with the shock case included. What are your thoughts?

Oct 7, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #1,017 of 2,411
My two cents - a NEW A55 should be $180 USD, NOT a used one, no matter what great case it comes with...can't say anything more though...

BTW, can somebody seriously help me test out USB DAC on their device?

A55 battery answers?

Not one answer to be found.

now when using my laptop is it better to turn on 'Charge this player from the device'?

Will it prolong or shorten the lifespan of the battery? I'm always pretty confused about this, ie should I charge to full and let discharge or leave it charging via my laptop while in DAC mode?

Does battery drain quite faster in USB DAC mode?

I'd suggest plugging it into a computer and using it in the USB DAC mode - that way the charge is limited to what's provided over USB (which is fine and healthy) + you can leave it on to burn in for as long as you'd like.

So is it direct or not?! Every single answer is ambiguous!

EXPRESS YOURSELF CLEARLY!

It will also work with or without charging enabled. iPad Pro will charge the WM1a/z!

no matter what setting? What?

1. on the 90% charge thing so i wont overcharge,
2. Dont charge and play (USB DAC exception) try to use up the battery and then charge till full

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-a40-series-nw-a45-a46-a47.854779/page-77#post-14421332

USB DAC is exception? So DAC doesn’t charge nor discharge?

Im probably getting close to the advertised play time on flac. But im also using it as usb dac without charging the device, so that reduces??? my playtime a bit. i.e. it’s using DC, so that part has to be taken off the total play time?

Somebody clarify this tiny detail NOT ONE PERSON over THREE YEARS could solve for A45/ZX300/WM1!!!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #1,018 of 2,411
Man, there's the battery care setting which won't charge the battery over 90%, so you won't have to worry about the battery staying fully charged all the time.

Also, the charge the device from USB could also be for compatibility issues. Some device can refuse to work with the USB DAC mode if the player is drawing current.

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #1,020 of 2,411
But still you haven't told me whether the Walkman can bypass its battery and just use USB - that toggle switch might not shut off all the current, but will allow enough to just use the Walkman without charging or discharging?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back