Sony NW-A50 Series
Jul 2, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #2,176 of 2,411
I have ibasso it00 with my Sony nwa55 and really liking it but have my eyes on latest planar magnetic iem ..do they pair well with the walkman ? Any inputs from anyone listening to your wallman with planar set is appreciated

Thx

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #2,177 of 2,411
I have ibasso it00 with my Sony nwa55 and really liking it but have my eyes on latest planar magnetic iem ..do they pair well with the walkman ? Any inputs from anyone listening to your wallman with planar set is appreciated

Thx

Depends on which planar iem we are talking about. For super hard to drive ones like the tin p1, the A55 can't drive these well.

Yes u can jack the volume up but you lose dynamics if stuff like the p1 is not fed adequately. Most planars in general scale better with good amplification.

I tried the timeless with the A55, that was decently driven with the A55.

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #2,178 of 2,411
Depends on which planar iem we are talking about. For super hard to drive ones like the tin p1, the A55 can't drive these well.

Yes u can jack the volume up but you lose dynamics if stuff like the p1 is not fed adequately. Most planars in general scale better with good amplification.

I tried the timeless with the A55, that was decently driven with the A55.
Thanks @baskingshark ..any thoughts on letshuoer s12

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #2,179 of 2,411
Jul 5, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #2,181 of 2,411
I have gone back to the normal boot mode after finding the Plus V2 sound a little to thin. After several hours of burnin with the WM1Z tuning, normal mode and source direct I am hearing the sound others have raved about. I am really surprised how just a few hours of playback has opened things up so much. The normal mode seems to provide a thicker richer sound than the Plus V2 which as I said sounds a little thin at least with my HP50's.

Definitely won't be sending this puppy back, mostly listened to Imagine Dragons Mercury 1 & 2 and a bunch of tracks from The Corrs I just picked up. I am really loving The Corrs music as I have never really listen to much of their music before. The real test will be when I start listening to some Beatles and Rolling Stones remasters along with some other classic rock which is my primary genre.

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #2,182 of 2,411
I am running the WalkmanOne fw that is based on the fw from the WM players, don't if that could make a difference
I tried installing WalkmanOne to see if it would help with the fade-in issue (WM1Z tuning), since I was considering moving on from the player due to this fade-in issue. It appears the custom firmware resolves the problem, at least partially. The fade-in is minimized, if not removed completely.

So I guess the stock firmware is just flawed in regards to the fade-in issue. How strange. The only other DAP I've had with this issue is an ancient Samsung YP-700H 128MB MP3 player from 2002, and I didn't like it on that player as well.

I'm very curious what this custom firmware actually does/changes, there is almost no documentation...

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #2,183 of 2,411
I tried installing WalkmanOne to see if it would help with the fade-in issue (WM1Z tuning), since I was considering moving on from the player due to this fade-in issue. It appears the custom firmware resolves the problem, at least partially. The fade-in is minimized, if not removed completely.
After some more listening, while (anecdotally) less, the fade-in is still present. Oh well, I might have to move on to another player. Even my old CD Walkman doesn't have any similar problem. What a shame, the player is otherwise perfect.

Jul 6, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #2,185 of 2,411
Jul 7, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #2,186 of 2,411
Hmm...

The difference is clear for me when comparing against any other DAP. Sometimes it fades in left channel first, sometimes right channel, sometimes it's very quick, but it's always there. It's a clear difference (for me) compared to the abrupt stop/start of other digital audio devices.

In fact, it's one of the first things I noticed about the A55 when I first got it. I assumed it was an enabled fade-in feature somewhere.

No problems with gapless on mine.

Jul 7, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #2,187 of 2,411
Could anyone else please check their NW-A55 for this symptom? I may send it in for warranty.

One person in this thread has said it's normal, and two others have said it's nonexistant.

To be clear, the problem is a quick fade-in (and fade-out) upon pressing the play/pause button. Sometimes it fades in with uneven channels. It's quick, but there. A/Bing with any other DAP (iPod/CD player/etc.) will quickly expose this. Once playing, there are no fade or gap issues.

To put it another way, if I recorded to tape the A55 playing a lossless file, an iPod playing a lossless file, and a CD player playing the original CD, I wouldn't be able to tell the iPod recording from the CD, but I would immediately spot the A55's recording.

This is all through the 3.5mm analog jack.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #2,188 of 2,411
Could anyone else please check their NW-A55 for this symptom? I may send it in for warranty.

One person in this thread has said it's normal, and two others have said it's nonexistant.

To be clear, the problem is a quick fade-in (and fade-out) upon pressing the play/pause button. Sometimes it fades in with uneven channels. It's quick, but there. A/Bing with any other DAP (iPod/CD player/etc.) will quickly expose this. Once playing, there are no fade or gap issues.

To put it another way, if I recorded to tape the A55 playing a lossless file, an iPod playing a lossless file, and a CD player playing the original CD, I wouldn't be able to tell the iPod recording from the CD, but I would immediately spot the A55's recording.

This is all through the 3.5mm analog jack.
My NW-A55 did it and so did my NW-WM1Z

That would be an too big coincidence if two people would have the exact same issue on 3 DAPs

But if you're unsure, send it in. But I doubt they'll do anything as all operations work as expected.

My M11 Plus does have it too by the way (but not from one channel to another, it happens with both channels)

This is a common thing a lot of DAP have. I don't know why the others say they never experienced it but my friends from Japan have it too with their Walkman.

I assume it's just an misunderstanding and everyone had it and just isn't totally sure what your talking about

//Edit: The WM1A of my girlfriend has it too

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #2,189 of 2,411

That would be an too big coincidence if two people would have the exact same issue on 3 DAPs

But if you're unsure, send it in. But I doubt they'll do anything as all operations work as expected.

My M11 Plus does have it too by the way (but not from one channel to another, it happens with both channels)

This is a common thing a lot of DAP have. I don't know why the others say they never experienced it but my friends from Japan have it too with their Walkman.

I assume it's just an misunderstanding and everyone had it and just isn't totally sure what your talking about

Either that or it is so subtle that only very, very few people notice it. I’ve never detected it in 6 years on A45, A55, ZX300 and 1Z and I listen several hours almost every day to one of them. To me it’s instant off and instant on every time on all 3 I’ve still got (I’ve just tried to stop/start 20 times in a row on the ZX300)

Jul 7, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #2,190 of 2,411

Just so we are on the same page: All of my music is flac, 99.5% ripped by me + a few Hi-Def downloads. When playing in folder mode, no shuffle, there is no fading. I have albums that have tracks with no defining end and with no defining start on the next track- music straight through and there is no fading or dipping in volume. I have an NW-A45 also - no fading.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back