SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Mar 24, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #2,281 of 2,453
hi all,
anyone knows if this a35 can play for *.cue files?

Mar 25, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #2,282 of 2,453
Mar 27, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #2,283 of 2,453
So I've owned this for a year, only really used it 5 days a week for 6 months though due to a busy period.

I've got a 200gb card in it and other than boot time, I've had zero problems.

Recently, every time it reboots, it's only picking up the internal storage on the first reboot? Booting it again generally sorts it out, but by the time it finishes building the db my commute is over!

Have there been any further enhancements with new firmware too?

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #2,284 of 2,453
So I've owned this for a year, only really used it 5 days a week for 6 months though due to a busy period.

I've got a 200gb card in it and other than boot time, I've had zero problems.

Recently, every time it reboots, it's only picking up the internal storage on the first reboot? Booting it again generally sorts it out, but by the time it finishes building the db my commute is over!

Have there been any further enhancements with new firmware too?

I have an a30, it has firmware 1.20 installed (MediaGo has not informed me of any firmware updates) and I use a 200Gb card.

About a week ago after syncing the Heavy Horses remix, the same thing happened after the database rescan, I rebooted the a30 and it has been OK since then.

I have just checked the Sony site and 1.20 is the most upto date firmware. As this is now an 'old' model I would be surprised if there are any further firmware updates.

Mar 27, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #2,285 of 2,453
Thought as much :frowning2:

Going to be gutted if it keeps happening. It seems to be when I've been charging it, unplug it and the database builds in seconds. Full reboot, it scans the card again. Wondering if it's something to do with windows 10 locking the card without it being ejected etc

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #2,286 of 2,453
Thought as much :frowning2:

Going to be gutted if it keeps happening. It seems to be when I've been charging it, unplug it and the database builds in seconds. Full reboot, it scans the card again. Wondering if it's something to do with windows 10 locking the card without it being ejected etc
The A35 isn't meant to be powered down completely - when it's powered off (or rebooted), it'll always do a full scan. Instead, I just pause the play and hit the power switch to put it into standby. I've haven't ejected any card in years - I go through some 20+ 256GB CF cards daily in both Win7 and 10 systems. Nor do I eject the A35, just hit the button on the screen to disconnect and yank out the cable.

The quick scan you're seeing when unplugging sounds like a scan of the internal memory without the card.

I have seen a slow/faulty card do weird things like not releasing or hanging. I had a few Sandisk Ultras that liked to act like they hung, but released after 15 seconds or so. It didn't matter how they were formatted or what the cluster sizing was. Since I've switched to all Extreme or Extreme Pro cards, I haven't seen the issue.

You may try cleaning the contacts on the card with some DeOxit Gold - the contacts on many cards are full of impurities and sometimes, heat from charging can cause some resistance (along with skin oils from touching the card), making the card act stupid. I had some issues with Lexar SDXC cards back in my Canon 1Ds3 which acted stupid after holding the camera for a long while in hot weather. Cleaning the oxidation off the SD contacts solved the issue.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #2,288 of 2,453
How do you guys manage to keep it topped up on charge?

Noticed mine isnt holding anywhere near as much charge as it was 6 months back. Wondering if it's because I hit pause on the unit, or let the album end, sometimes hit the power button, sometimes not.

Mar 28, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #2,289 of 2,453
How do you guys manage to keep it topped up on charge?

Noticed mine isnt holding anywhere near as much charge as it was 6 months back. Wondering if it's because I hit pause on the unit, or let the album end, sometimes hit the power button, sometimes not.

Have you got battery care ticked on in the settings?

I just use it in the day (probably five hours out of eight working hours) and then put it on charge in the evening.

Mar 31, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #2,290 of 2,453
Anyone tried mee pinnacle p1 with sony nw a35?
Well it can drive them surely. But saying something optimizes Sq is just wrong, the headphone just put out what ever signal comes in with its sonic properties added. But the quality of the dap is very good and it sounds better than a phone or pretty much every other dap in that price range.

Has anyone used PInnacle P1/X with these? I'm worried the A30 series doesn't have enough power to drive the P1: 50ohms impedance 96db sensitivity or some headphones like the HD600.

If anyone has experience with similar IEMs please let me know :)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #2,291 of 2,453
Ok, I just discovered something quite annoying about my NW-A35HN.

Instead of just reading the music files it actually adds information to it.

It seems that it does that when you play All Music in shuffle mode.

Apr 1, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #2,292 of 2,453
Has anyone used PInnacle P1/X with these? I'm worried the A30 series doesn't have enough power to drive the P1: 50ohms impedance 96db sensitivity or some headphones like the HD600.

If anyone has experience with similar IEMs please let me know :)

It can drive my dt990 250ohm, upto medium volume I would say. (Just tried as I saw your question, while stuck in the jam). I have a 1more E1001, which I wear at the office, and gym, that can be driven easily if that's help.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #2,294 of 2,453
my good lady has been using her a35 with some jvc gummy and has to have the volume up at 100 for decent levels is this a normal volume ?

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #2,295 of 2,453
my good lady has been using her a35 with some jvc gummy and has to have the volume up at 100 for decent levels is this a normal volume ?

Sounds weird, what's the resistance on those Gummies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back