SONY NW-A30 SERIES
May 11, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #2,311 of 2,453
I've not had any success researching online or asking people, but I've managed to come across this site and thread. Since the thread's not dead, I assume it's safe to post in. I have a Walkman NW-A35. It's the Japanese model. Now, from what I understand, these devices are compatible with micro SD cards, and more specifically, 256GB Micro SD cards. Now, I've read through a number of posts in this thread that report that my particular SD card, the Samsung Evo 256GB, has been successfully used with this device. For whatever reason, my walkman will not detect that there are files on my micro SD card.

It has been formatted, both by my computer and by the device itself(I fumbled through the menus but eventually figured it out), and it's recognized when I plug the device into my PC. I can put files on the micro SD card just fine. I can play them as well, from the computer. The device, on the other hand, does not want to cooperate. It won't detect anything on my card. I can't even open the directories, being met with an error when I try to open the albums menu with the card mounted. I don't know why this is happening.

No, the card in question is not counterfeit. Every disk managing software I've used so far reads it as an actual 256GB card. Also, this isn't the only card it won't detect. I have a Samsung Evo 16GB card as well, and it won't cooperate with that card, either. Has anyone else had this experience with the Japanese Walkman NW-A35, and is there a solution? Formatting the card does nothing(it is exFAT). I can add files from the computer, but the device won't detect them no matter what I do. I can provide some pictures of the errors I get from the device, if that will help.

Yes, pictures of the errors may help.

Have you had success with the Walkman reading any MicroSD cards at all?

I’m afraid it sounds like a malfunction on the Walkman. :frowning2:

May 11, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #2,312 of 2,453
Yes, pictures of the errors may help.

Have you had success with the Walkman reading any MicroSD cards at all?

I’m afraid it sounds like a malfunction on the Walkman. :frowning2:
I acquired it recently, but as long as I've had it, it's been the case that micro SD cards won't read. It's weird, seeing as to how a computer can read the card from within the device. The item was bought like new, and there was no mention of a malfunction. I do have these shots, though. I have them in an imgur link, because I can't seem to attach them here.

https://imgur.com/a/Kya4dEH

I believe the second image might be saying the card isn't mounted. I can eliminate that by choosing the sd card menu option, but I still don't get to see any contents afterwards. Oh, and the first message pops up when I try to select one of the categories(Artists, Albums, etc).

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #2,317 of 2,453
DFB4CB36-D6A0-4F3D-986C-962F0E8CDC69.png F35788BF-9CBF-4F8E-853D-C97A0BF73A35.png

The first message seems to translate as:

There are no songs.
Software-connect equipment, please transfer the songs.

The second screen, something like this:

Body memory SD card SD card.
Please insert the SD card.
OK

That probably doesn’t help a lot since you could infer that’s what it was saying by the behavior (not showing songs!) but “please insert the SD card” definitely makes me wonder if there’s a hardware or firmware malfunction on the NW-A35 itself since you can see and play songs from the card on your computer.

May 12, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #2,318 of 2,453
I've not had any success researching online or asking people, but I've managed to come across this site and thread. Since the thread's not dead, I assume it's safe to post in. I have a Walkman NW-A35. It's the Japanese model. Now, from what I understand, these devices are compatible with micro SD cards, and more specifically, 256GB Micro SD cards. Now, I've read through a number of posts in this thread that report that my particular SD card, the Samsung Evo 256GB, has been successfully used with this device. For whatever reason, my walkman will not detect that there are files on my micro SD card.

It has been formatted, both by my computer and by the device itself(I fumbled through the menus but eventually figured it out), and it's recognized when I plug the device into my PC. I can put files on the micro SD card just fine. I can play them as well, from the computer. The device, on the other hand, does not want to cooperate. It won't detect anything on my card. I can't even open the directories, being met with an error when I try to open the albums menu with the card mounted. I don't know why this is happening.

No, the card in question is not counterfeit. Every disk managing software I've used so far reads it as an actual 256GB card. Also, this isn't the only card it won't detect. I have a Samsung Evo 16GB card as well, and it won't cooperate with that card, either. Has anyone else had this experience with the Japanese Walkman NW-A35, and is there a solution? Formatting the card does nothing(it is exFAT). I can add files from the computer, but the device won't detect them no matter what I do. I can provide some pictures of the errors I get from the device, if that will help.

1- Format the card with this: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
2- Insert the sd, then format the blank card in the device in settings.
3- Download Sony music center software and add music with it.

May 12, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #2,319 of 2,453
Its to much better sound with the Q1 Mark II compared with the sound of the A35 itself?
Balanced output give me much more soundstage and power. The bass switch is usefull with very clear sounding headphone to relax the response of the high frequencies. I use it with L27 cable and some IEM/Open headphone, it's pretty good. Worth the upgrade.
The only cons is that the Fiio Q1mkII become slightly warm during long listening session especially if you put the stack in a pocket.

May 12, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #2,320 of 2,453
1- Format the card with this: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
2- Insert the sd, then format the blank card in the device in settings.
3- Download Sony music center software and add music with it.
I suppose I can try that. I don't see why I'd need to format it twice, though. I'll have to see how I can get Sony Music Center running on Ubuntu. Also, I can confirm that the walkman detects a card in the device. The option to mount/unmount the card is blacked out with no card inserted. I can only select it after I insert the card. It knows that it's there.

And for reference's sake, I'm on firmware 1.10.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #2,321 of 2,453
I don't see why I'd need to format it twice, though. I'll have to see how I can get Sony Music Center running on Ubuntu.
First is the cleanest and recommended way to format a microSD card by producers like (Samsung etc), second when you format the card in the walkman itself, it adds some config files and folders useful for file management.
As far as i know Sony music center is available only on Windows, i tried myself installing it on ubuntu with wine but failed due to compatibility errors.
Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #2,323 of 2,453
May 12, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #2,324 of 2,453
Balanced output give me much more soundstage and power. The bass switch is usefull with very clear sounding headphone to relax the response of the high frequencies. I use it with L27 cable and some IEM/Open headphone, it's pretty good. Worth the upgrade.
The only cons is that the Fiio Q1mkII become slightly warm during long listening session especially if you put the stack in a pocket.
Thanks! I was in contact with the people of Fiio in Argentina and they suggest me to buy the Fiio A3 instead of the Q1 and just to let the A35 do the processing job and the amp to the A3, so your point its very interesting, I forgot the balanced output benefit.

May 12, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #2,325 of 2,453
Factory reset Walkman and update if necessary.
Insert SD CARD and format in Walkman.
Connect Walkman and transfer files to music folder.
If sd card not detected, either the card is kaput or Walkman hardware fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back