SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Feb 9, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #2,238 of 2,453
Ah, ok, sorry for my confusing misinterpretation. :smirk:
Thank you for this computation.
good.gif

Feb 12, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #2,239 of 2,453
Looking for input on the A35 and headphones. I am looking to upgrade my headphones to the DT 770 pros ( I want close back) and wondering if the A35 can drive the 80 ohm version without the need of a portable amp. If it will struggle I will just grab the 32 ohm version and live with the leatherette earcups. Thanks!

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #2,241 of 2,453
Here you're back and front, really nicely stacking up, the NX1 is rather exactly the same width than the A35, thickness is also very similar.

The Fiio LOD is not connected to the DAP on the picture. There's a matte screen protector which I like a lot, not fingerprints, smears, etc. Bought in a brick-n-mortar store in Tokyo

Looks great, can you tell me where you got the LOD cable? Been told by Sony themselves there is no such cable, though obviously there is. Can't seem to find it anywhere! Thanks

Feb 22, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #2,247 of 2,453
Then why use the Sony and not just get a cheap transport if your bypassing the Sony altogether?

Don't know about that poster, but the UI make a huge difference for me. For my usage, I haven't bothered to attempt to use a DAC/AMP with my NW-A35, as that's not my use case, but I can see someone who really likes the UI on the A35 but wants more power. My experience with cheaper DAPs is that the UI can be pretty poor.

Feb 22, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #2,248 of 2,453
Don't know about that poster, but the UI make a huge difference for me. For my usage, I haven't bothered to attempt to use a DAC/AMP with my NW-A35, as that's not my use case, but I can see someone who really likes the UI on the A35 but wants more power. My experience with cheaper DAPs is that the UI can be pretty poor.
I tend to always use my e17k with a dap, but always on line out, that way I'm still using the dap to process the audio, I don't lose its character, just use the e17k to add some flavour to the sound with its excellent bass and treble shaping. Bypassing is fine, but is tend to not spend a lot on a device if I was going to do that, I'd just use a mobile phone or cheap device in usb mode. No criticisms obviously, just wondered why someone would do that with a device which costs a fair chunk of change and by all accounts has a very nice sound all on its own

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #2,249 of 2,453
Isn't that nullifying the point of having the Sony device, if your letting something else do the audio work?

Yes, but it gives btr sounding, when I don't need the ultra-portability during running or workout.

When running, I use the Sony only.

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #2,250 of 2,453
I tend to always use my e17k with a dap, but always on line out, that way I'm still using the dap to process the audio, I don't lose its character, just use the e17k to add some flavour to the sound with its excellent bass and treble shaping. Bypassing is fine, but is tend to not spend a lot on a device if I was going to do that, I'd just use a mobile phone or cheap device in usb mode. No criticisms obviously, just wondered why someone would do that with a device which costs a fair chunk of change and by all accounts has a very nice sound all on its own

I'm kind of with you on that -- although I suppose one could argue that nowadays, people's phones are much larger than the A35, so if you wanted to have a smaller setup and still insisted on using an external DAC/amp (maybe for some with a Mojo, for instance), the A35 would be less to cart around than the phone.

But in my case, I really prefer to use the A35 as a standalone device without needing to tether other things to it other than the headphone (and sometimes, I might even use BT at that.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back