SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Nov 1, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #2,027 of 2,453
I am use at home Sennheiser HD-598, and AudioTechnica ATH -IM01 on the go.Level of volume 50+, that's why I think about headphone amplifier.

I use the HD598, too - it doesn't need amplification. Having said that, my tiny and cheap (£35) Topping NX-1 amp does make a difference, makes it sound better. The PHA-1A would be a serious overkill for this setup.

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #2,028 of 2,453
thanks very much

Also keep in mind that if you download alot of music the MQA support for the A45 could be useful. Also the specs mention a Quick Charge feature although no specifics have been given.

Sony is suppose to be releasing a firmware update sometime this month for the A40 series to add support for AptX-HD

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #2,029 of 2,453
Also keep in mind that if you download alot of music the MQA support for the A45 could be useful. Also the specs mention a Quick Charge feature although no specifics have been given.

Sony is suppose to be releasing a firmware update sometime this month for the A40 series to add support for AptX-HD
okay thanks very much.

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #2,030 of 2,453
I use the HD598, too - it doesn't need amplification. Having said that, my tiny and cheap (£35) Topping NX-1 amp does make a difference, makes it sound better. The PHA-1A would be a serious overkill for this setup.

Care to share a pic of your a35 and nx1 setup? I'm planning to pair an nx1 or nx1s to my a35 as well but I've no idea how they'll stack up.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #2,031 of 2,453
Has anyone been able to create playlist files for the a35 on a Mac?
I've created .m3u files (both blank and with song names) in TextEdit or iTunes, and transfered them both by drag-and-drop and the Sony Content Transfer app.
They appear on my a35 with "Not editable" next to the playlist name. Songs can't be added.
Have I been going about it the wrong way?

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #2,034 of 2,453
Care to share a pic of your a35 and nx1 setup? I'm planning to pair an nx1 or nx1s to my a35 as well but I've no idea how they'll stack up.

Here you're back and front, really nicely stacking up, the NX1 is rather exactly the same width than the A35, thickness is also very similar.

The Fiio LOD is not connected to the DAP on the picture. There's a matte screen protector which I like a lot, not fingerprints, smears, etc. Bought in a brick-n-mortar store in Tokyo

IMG_1605.JPG IMG_1606.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #2,035 of 2,453
Has anyone been able to create playlist files for the a35 on a Mac?
I've created .m3u files (both blank and with song names) in TextEdit or iTunes, and transfered them both by drag-and-drop and the Sony Content Transfer app.
They appear on my a35 with "Not editable" next to the playlist name. Songs can't be added.
Have I been going about it the wrong way?

Back when I was considering getting an A35 I looked into creating playlists for the A35. I actually found a pre-made template you could use to manually make a compatible playlist. Unfortunately I can't seem to locate it on my computer. You should be able to make playlists in itunes and add them to the A35. Keep in mind that all of the tracks in the playlist must be on the same memory source either all on internal memory or all on the SD Card. You can build playlists on the A35 itself but it is more cumbersome. Unfortunately I don't have a MAC so I can't help you but there are a few videos on youtube that will show you how to do it.

Nov 7, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #2,036 of 2,453
Back when I was considering getting an A35 I looked into creating playlists for the A35. I actually found a pre-made template you could use to manually make a compatible playlist. Unfortunately I can't seem to locate it on my computer. You should be able to make playlists in itunes and add them to the A35. Keep in mind that all of the tracks in the playlist must be on the same memory source either all on internal memory or all on the SD Card. You can build playlists on the A35 itself but it is more cumbersome. Unfortunately I don't have a MAC so I can't help you but there are a few videos on youtube that will show you how to do it.
Thanks for the reply.
I don't seem to have trouble creating the playlists, as they worked fine on my old NWZ-A15. For some reason, the same m3u files won't appear on the A35 if I put them on my micro SD card (128gb Sandisk). I get a "No Playlists Available" message. If I transfer m3u files directly to the A35, I get a "Not Editable" note next to the playlist name with nothing in the playlist itself.
Since my last post, I've tried changing the file extensions, and then using the Vox app to recreate the playlists. No luck so far...

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #2,037 of 2,453
Thanks for the reply.
I don't seem to have trouble creating the playlists, as they worked fine on my old NWZ-A15. For some reason, the same m3u files won't appear on the A35 if I put them on my micro SD card (128gb Sandisk). I get a "No Playlists Available" message. If I transfer m3u files directly to the A35, I get a "Not Editable" note next to the playlist name with nothing in the playlist itself.
Since my last post, I've tried changing the file extensions, and then using the Vox app to recreate the playlists. No luck so far...

Musicphotolife site A36 review "
If you copy files directly into the A30 using the file explorer, you will find that the playlists show “not editable”. This is because only playlists stored under the “\MUSIC” folder can be edited. But if you simply drag the playlists from your album folders to the \MUSIC folder, the path to the files will be incorrect. The best way is to import files using Media Go software, which creates the playlist with the correct path.

While it is not possible to create new playlists or rename from the A30, one workaround is to pre-load empty playlists to the \MUSIC folder. This method lets you customise play lists similar to bookmark lists without the limitations of 10 bookmark lists. This method also allows you to backup the playlist on your computer and transfer to another device. Here is a link to download an empty playlist. Just duplicate it, rename it, and save to the \MUSIC folder."

Nov 7, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #2,038 of 2,453
Does anybody having following problem with their A30 Walkman?

When I am using the touchscreen, device freezes, screen and side buttons becomes unresponsive, but audio continues about 10 seconds. Then audio cuts and device restarts itself.

I don't know why this happens but It happens me about once in 2 or 3 days, It's getting me frustrated because of the long start up time. Software version 1.20 Thanks.

Nov 7, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #2,039 of 2,453
Musicphotolife site A36 review "
If you copy files directly into the A30 using the file explorer, you will find that the playlists show “not editable”. This is because only playlists stored under the “\MUSIC” folder can be edited. But if you simply drag the playlists from your album folders to the \MUSIC folder, the path to the files will be incorrect. The best way is to import files using Media Go software, which creates the playlist with the correct path.

While it is not possible to create new playlists or rename from the A30, one workaround is to pre-load empty playlists to the \MUSIC folder. This method lets you customise play lists similar to bookmark lists without the limitations of 10 bookmark lists. This method also allows you to backup the playlist on your computer and transfer to another device. Here is a link to download an empty playlist. Just duplicate it, rename it, and save to the \MUSIC folder."

Yes this is the same empty playlist I have although I don't need it as I have MediaGo. But I am looking to convert my home computer to Linux from Windows so I will probably need it when I get my A45 next year. There isn't much to the template just two lines at the top of the .m3u file so you can simpy create several .m3u playlist files and add tracks to them.
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:111,Music Photo Life

this is a playlist entry taken from a playlist on my A17 from the Music folder
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:223,A Head Full of Dreams
Coldplay\A Head Full of Dreams\A Head Full of Dreams.flac

Although I haven't tried it I think you can manually build the playlist if you take the track number for the song off of your A35 in this case 223/4709 on my A17, the track name and the root path to the track on your A35. Simply put the #EXTINF: in front of each track entry in the playlist and save the playlist with the .m3u extension. Then copy the playlist to the Music folder on your A35. If I am wrong in my assumptions please correct me.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #2,040 of 2,453
Yes this is the same empty playlist I have although I don't need it as I have MediaGo. But I am looking to convert my home computer to Linux from Windows so I will probably need it when I get my A45 next year. There isn't much to the template just two lines at the top of the .m3u file so you can simpy create several .m3u playlist files and add tracks to them.
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:111,Music Photo Life

this is a playlist entry taken from a playlist on my A17 from the Music folder
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:223,A Head Full of Dreams
Coldplay\A Head Full of Dreams\A Head Full of Dreams.flac

Although I haven't tried it I think you can manually build the playlist if you take the track number for the song off of your A35 in this case 223/4709 on my A17, the track name and the root path to the track on your A35. Simply put the #EXTINF: in front of each track entry in the playlist and save the playlist with the .m3u extension. Then copy the playlist to the Music folder on your A35. If I am wrong in my assumptions please correct me.

To test my theory I created a 5 track test playlist for Matchbox Twenty taking the track location number for each track off of my A17, for example 492/4709 for Bright Lights. I saved the playlist as Test.m3u and copied it to the Music folder on my A17. The playlist played without a hitch on my A17 and I am assuming this should work on the A35 as well. If you created a playlist on your MAC/PC and simply copied it to the Music folder on your A35 it won't play because the track location number is missing and or the path to the track is incorrect.

The DAP uses a file table much like a computer to keep track of the location of each song in memory. So in order for the playlist to play the track location information in the playlist has to match the track location information in the file table. So if you created a playlist for another DAP and tried to use the same playlist on a new DAP like the A35 then the file table information likely doesn't match the playlist information and the A35 can't find the tracks in memory.

What happens when you add new tracks to your DAP, which changes the track location number for some of the tracks in your playlist, how do they still play? The file table keeps the original path location for each track and adds a redirection entry for the track so it knows the new track location in memory. Every time the track moves in memory as new tracks are added or deleted a new redirection entry gets added to the file table for that track. For example, when my A17 tries to play Bright Lights from the playlist it finds it in the file table, it shows it use to be track location number 492 but now has a redirection to location 507 and now goes to location 507 to find the track to play it. The actual process is more complicated but this should give some idea of how the process flows without getting to technical.

Sample entry from Test.m3u
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:492,Bright Lights
Matchbox Twenty\Exile On Mainstream\Bright Lights.flac

Kind of a long winded explanation I know but I hope it helps you get your playlists working

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back