Sony MH1C better than CIEMs or just another ATH-M50?
Nov 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #16 of 207
They are really warm aren't they...

Yes, they're really warm, why I sold them, it's that warmth making them sound muffled, why everyones EQing the bass down to remove some of the veil, bring the mids out. Half the reason I sold my entire collection recently (including GR07 MK2) was because everything sounded veiled after a recent purchase. Sound quality's there but what's the use of hearing it beneath two layers of carpet. :p I have V6 here too, so I can relate to your post a few above (very good headphone). I will say though I was listening to my Monster Turbine last night and MH1C would give them a run for their money, either that or I just can't remove the veiled sensation from any IEM after owning the T-Peos H-100. :wink:

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #17 of 207
Well, in terms of preference, I prefer them to many of the iems in my collection (brainwavz m1, m2, eterna's, and re0s).  They are more forgiving of the source and music than all of those.  And they are cheaper than all of those iems. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #18 of 207
Many people here are looking for different things, and I must say such a poll is really pointless because everyone has different desires.

The MH1C is perfect for many who simply want to enjoy their music: they produce a really smooth sound signature, have no obvious flaws and works with most genres. This is their strength; most earphones around their price range if not higher can't do this really well. The warm signature is also very popular and easy going. For its price, instrument separation, build quality and sound simply outstrips most in its class.

Then there are many who come into these thread, used to either very balanced or high clarity sound delivered by much more expensive earphones, e.g. GR07/T.Fi10 which cost upper $100/lower $200 range. MH1C is good, but not that good. Clarity isn't one of its best strengths (though mind you, it's not muffled in any sense unlike many bass-heavy earphones like Beats). BUT, with that in mind, many $100-200 earphones can't/won't deliver the mix of warmth, good SQ, decent bass that the MH1C delivers at a low price.

Blindly following hype is silly. Everyone's preferred sound signature and priorities are different. I don't really like earphones that are too analytical/clear (they often display sibilance on less-than-perfect sources, which I am very sensitive to), and hence dislike the RE0s. On the other hand, I love the T.Fi 10 and the MH1cs deliver 90% of the performance at 10% of the price.

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #19 of 207
There is a huge amount of hot air about these. 

I use the almost exclusively in the office and the warm consumer friendly signature is perfect for low intensity listening. To be fair, this was exactly what they were designed to do.

From My comments on the King of value thread.

"Their bass is their weak/strong point depending on your point of view.
For the consumer it is designed for it has plenty of bass. - Win.
For more critical listening, the bass is too flabby, bass notes can bleed into one another.  - Not so great."

As a £12 purchase, they are incredible value. From my limited experience, these would sit at around the £35-45 mark in terms of performance. All this guff about being better than a $x00 phone is just silly. The $60 GR06 outperforms them in my opinion. Never mind the GR07.

These are a taste of decent-Fi, in a consumer friendly package. They were designed to be bundled with a mobile after all.

There is a lot to like, but they are not the second coming.

Th supplied tips are lovely though.

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #20 of 207
i like that all of you are crying havoc about a pair of IEMS that are $20, $30 TOPS.

it's not nearly expensive enough to be considered any sort of sacrifice, unless you're maybe living on food stamps and 4 months behind on rent.  i just bought them, and in full disclosure i can't say anything about their quality as i need to wait for them to arrive, but seriously why are people complaining about these as if they're some poison/plague on the head-fi community?  i'm remaining grounded about them, but from what i'm hearing i'm expecting a headphone that duly matches up with the best of what there is under the $50 or maybe $100 mark, and for the price i paid for them i couldn't be happier if they live up to that.  if they match up to the miles davis trumpets as some have stated that'd be even better.  i'm being realistic though.  even if they don't reach any of those levels of greatness i'll be a bit miffed but for $26 after shipping i can deal with it!

considering how many tens of headphones a bunch of you guys buy, the thousands of dollars you spend, and that these are so relatively cheap i just don't see what the harm is.  you're jumping at shadows.  and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised by a good budget contender.  if you're not YOU ONLY LOST ABOUT TWENTY DOLLARS!

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #21 of 207
I think the issues here is that they have become a de facto recommendation almost without exception.

The $20 isn't the point here, What others are driving at is that a 'poor' recommendation (not meeting the OP's requiremtns) reflects badly on the whole forum.

Imagine for example, someone is looking for something a bit like an Ety. The MH1C is recommended by default. OP, buys the MH1 . OP is rightly pissed that they don't sound anything like what was requested.

I must admit I have been caught up in this as well. I also understand the principal of buyer beware, but the recommendations made here have real influence.

I can see both sides of the story here, good for the price the MH1 is (for $20). It isn't for everyone.

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #22 of 207
Well, sure, they live upto the hype. I like them Better than R-50 (120$), A161P(100$) and not that far from Triple Fi 10(180$). I liked it better A/Bing with my friends B2. So they are great performers nevertheless for the price. Amping and equing them brings the best out of them. I simply love em after treble boosting on EQ. Brings the bass down and highs more prominent. Those who dont appreciate these must be having a incorrect fit or hard adjusting to the cable, these are great find for the price.

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #23 of 207
Quote:
I think the issues here is that they have become a de facto recommendation almost without exception.

The $20 isn't the point here, What others are driving at is that a 'poor' recommendation (not meeting the OP's requiremtns) reflects badly on the whole forum.

Imagine for example, someone is looking for something a bit like an Ety. The MH1C is recommended by default. OP, buys the MH1 . OP is rightly pissed that they don't sound anything like what was requested.

I must admit I have been caught up in this as well. I also understand the principal of buyer beware, but the recommendations made here have real influence.

I can see both sides of the story here, good for the price the MH1 is (for $20). It isn't for everyone.

Are you sure about that?,  the "de facto" recomendation on head-fi WITHOUT exeption is the MH1??????
i have to agreee that they are very good deal, and i can read a lot of recomendations when people are searching for iems that are cheap and warm, why not? they fit.
But with out exeption and de facto?  so theres a bunch of threads where someone is asking for a $100-200 iems and even CIEMS??  and people are getting the MH1 as a recomendation?
Thread please.

IMO, they are very good for $20, even at $30 its a great deal and could be a good option even if someone is looking for a $100 iem . Since when its bad to recomend them when you can have a decent iem and save some money, thats a bad thing, isnt that the reason of this forum???

i get your point, but De facto and without exeption?

Could you be more specific and point us at leats 5 threads where they have beeing a bad/poor recomendation?   should be easy cause they are recomended without exeption, right?

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #24 of 207
Quote:
The MH1C is nice but I doubt its as good as a CIEM, I know its not as good as my new Heir 3.Ai which is basically a custom.  It has been a bit over hype but I do think it compares very well next to a lot of $100 and even some $150.  The bass can sound a little sloppy with some edm because of the speed but all in all its a good IEM and for what they go for pretty amazing though they don't compare with my BA200.

Agree, i dont think or have read no one saying that they are better and any CIEM, so i dont get the "better than Ciem" tittle.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #26 of 207
"The MH1C is perfect for many who simply want to enjoy their music: they produce a really smooth sound signature, have no obvious flaws and works with most genres. This is their strength; most earphones around their price range if not higher can't do this really well. The warm signature is also very popular and easy going. For its price, instrument separation, build quality and sound simply outstrips most in its class."

Amen to this quote above. My new criteria for a headphone or iem is "Engaging". Does it make me get into the music and kinda get lost in it. I'm tired of setting around and analyzing if this cymbal sounds organic or is the vocal range perfect. The key for me is if I just get into the music and sometimes get lost into it. The mh1c's are the most engaging IEM I've heard in awhile for ME. This is such a subjective thing and everyone is different. There seems to be a point where one isn't necessarily better than the other. They have reached a point where they are just different. Mercedes vs. BMW's. Both very nice cars. Just different and cater to different tastes. But, The MH1c's are fun and engaging. They are very versatile and can cover alot of ground in many different genres. What cracks me up is that we are comparing these to 100 plus dollar headphones and to many... they prefer. I'm not so certain about the hype thing. I just think they are very good IEM's. I'm tired of analyzing the music to death. I just want to get into it. These help me to do so. It sounds like their are alot of very good ears around here. And alot of those ears are raving about these IEM's. So............. Oh well, to each is own and I don't think there is one that will satisfy all. I'm just glad I found mine for 25 bucks. lol.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #27 of 207
Quote:
Many people here are looking for different things, and I must say such a poll is really pointless because everyone has different desires.

The MH1C is perfect for many who simply want to enjoy their music: they produce a really smooth sound signature, have no obvious flaws and works with most genres. This is their strength; most earphones around their price range if not higher can't do this really well. The warm signature is also very popular and easy going. For its price, instrument separation, build quality and sound simply outstrips most in its class.

Then there are many who come into these thread, used to either very balanced or high clarity sound delivered by much more expensive earphones, e.g. GR07/T.Fi10 which cost upper $100/lower $200 range. MH1C is good, but not that good. Clarity isn't one of its best strengths (though mind you, it's not muffled in any sense unlike many bass-heavy earphones like Beats). BUT, with that in mind, many $100-200 earphones can't/won't deliver the mix of warmth, good SQ, decent bass that the MH1C delivers at a low price.

Blindly following hype is silly. Everyone's preferred sound signature and priorities are different. I don't really like earphones that are too analytical/clear (they often display sibilance on less-than-perfect sources, which I am very sensitive to), and hence dislike the RE0s. On the other hand, I love the T.Fi 10 and the MH1cs deliver 90% of the performance at 10% of the price.

^^^^THIS IS PERFECT.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #28 of 207
I have a lot of experience with headphones and IEMs. I've easily listened to over 50 models of IEM alone in the past 3 years. Without getting into the intricacies of how this hype came about, if you asked me how much I think the MH1C is "worth", how much it sounds like, where it could be priced and out-sell most but not all current-day competitors, I would say...

About $89.

Take that however you like.

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #29 of 207
There has been so much hype about....

OP I think you meant to say other "UIEM's" not CIEM in the title.....

I voted though. I think it is another one of those things where you get a cheaper HP performing at a high level and there always has to be huge arguments over them. They are awesome. I would still own a pair for myself if they were built better.

So value is relative. Sound wise they rival many more expensive IEMS over $100. That doesn't mean they sound better than all IEMs ever invented over $100. It means what it means.

Put a better cable on it, price it at $130, re-brand it and there wont be a single notable thread about it. Just another IEM in the sea.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #30 of 207
MH1C -> Good sounding dynamic budget IEM = 25$ "HYPE" !!
GR07  -> Good sounding dynamic Head-Fi established IEM = 150$ TOTALLY LEGIT, DUH

Obviously I know nothing, a peasant among the seasoned audiophile connoisseurs with their technically superior hexa BA driver CIEM's deeply sorry to offend your highlyness, but my laymans ears honestly found the performances comparable. Please forgive me.

5 dollars? Well then the GR07 sounds like 5,50 at the most.

Maybe we can agree on it's all subjective and not everyone has to seek a highly detailed, high resolution IEM in order to be considered good. Maybe some of us go for different signatures. And because of that a 150$ IEM can sometimes be a bigger disappointment than the 25$ IEM.

Maybe the threads could be merged if some find it so intrusive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back