Sony MH1C better than CIEMs or just another ATH-M50?
Nov 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 207

Sycho

100+ Head-Fier
There has been so much hype about the MH1Cs that really got me thinking, are they really that good that they compare to headphones like the B2s and Gr07s, or are most people who have purchased these never heard other IEMs other than the $30 stuff you find at Best Buy and RadioShack and have concluded that the MH1Cs are the best things ever?

EDIT: Maybe using the word "hype" is not the appropriate term in this case, rather the word attention seems to be the phrase I am looking for. I am in no way trying to insult or say that the MH1C's overvalued or anything, I just want peoples' opinion on the IEMs. Obviously comparing the MH1Cs to CIEMs is a huge stretch, but the title is made for emphasis, not literal. I am also aware that the ATH-M50 has been kicked out and is no longer considered top dollar pick in every situation, but I refer to the M50s as headphones in the situation that it's not a first consideration yet many people still feel like they need to recommend the M50s in the price range of $130 without considering alternatives.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 207
I like them better than my er4p's. I listen to them more than my Grado sr-60's. These (Grado and er4p's) are by no means the top of the pedigree. But, they are respectable and they sound wonderful. I just like the sound of these Sony's better. Go figure- they just happened to be 20 some odd dollars. I would pay alot more for the sound they give. I think these would be getting alot of attention irregardless of price.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 207
They're a bit over-hyped at the moment IMO. I borrowed them for half a week. Good, definitely $50 good, but when comparisons to the B2 and GR07 are being made, signature preferences have to be taken into account. It's a very appealing, hard to hate sound. The hype sort of ruins expectations for what could have been a well-kept budget gem. I would just keep them for the mic/remote alone (hard to find a decent sounding headset at this price). Good set to get your feet wet for IEMs (hey, that rhymed!). 

And just to play some devil's advocate, because somebody's going to bring this up eventually (note: I just found these last week, so these don't impact my listening impressions made LONG, long ago): http://rinchoi.blogspot.ca/2012/11/sony-ericsson-mh1c-is-bad-excuse-better.html

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 207
I think what's happening is Chinese whispers are spreading....

For example one member says MH1C is comparable to GR07, another reads that, and another, before you know it we have several members running around who IMO haven't heard both then a tree branches out from there. Take now for example.... most of the 'what IEM should I buy under $200 threads are being infested by a lot of noobs recommending MH1C, the OP's think we're crazy! I've owned and heard both GR07 / MH1C they're nothing alike in signature at all. GR07 are balanced with such beautiful natural timbre that make instruments and percussion sound so so realistic, lows, mids and highs are completely balanced. Then you have MH1C which has enhanced bass, and slightly absent treble.

Look to me... I'm with TwinQY, MH1C sounded like something worth about $50 and better than a lot of stuff I tried at my local shopping mall, not much more. It's just running slightly out of control. I don't mean to burst any bubbles of happiness but they're not on par or comparable to GR07 in my opinion, completely different sound sigs and performance ratio.

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 207
For $30 which i bought from a bulk package, it indeed sound very very good, maybe too good for the price. I have auditioned the GR07 before. To my ears, the SONY MH1C just sounds on par with the GR07.

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 207
For $30 which i bought from a bulk package, it indeed sound very very good, maybe too good for the price. I have auditioned the GR07 before. To my ears, the SONY MH1C just sounds on par with the GR07.

I'm not trying to take away your happiness or fun mate, It's just I owned GR07 MK2 for months on end, I know it's sig upside down and back to front, I listened to it every night through of the week while laying down, not for music pleasure, analyzing GR07, it's not the same thing, not the same ball game. But hey...I'm just one member with an opinion.

The road turns even circles both ways. :smile:

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 207
Quote:
I think what's happening is Chinese whispers are spreading....
For example one member says MH1C is comparable to GR07, another reads that, and another, before you know it we have several members running around who IMO haven't heard both then a tree branches out from there. Take now for example.... most of the 'what IEM should I buy under $200 threads are being infested by a lot of noobs recommending MH1C, the OP's think we're crazy! I've owned and heard both GR07 / MH1C they're nothing alike in signature at all. GR07 are balanced with such beautiful natural timbre that make instruments and percussion sound so so realistic, lows, mids and highs are completely balanced. Then you have MH1C which has enhanced bass, and slightly absent treble.
Look to me... I'm with TwinQY, MH1C sounded like something worth about $50 and better than a lot of stuff I tried at my local shopping mall, not much more. It's just running slightly out of control. I don't mean to burst any bubbles of happiness but they're not on par or comparable to GR07 in my opinion, completely different sound sigs and performance ratio.

Oh, gawd, if it's like the M50s all over again.... Ruining expectations of a perfectly good phone from the exaggerated hype. I guess we can look forward ~3 years from now, they'll be marked up to $100, and we'll see thread titles like "MH1C overrrated?", and "MH1C, a concise view of why it's no longer King". 

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 207
They're quite lovely for vocals, but rather unbalanced otherwise. I'd say they sit around the top so far as single dynamic drivers are concerned, but I wouldn't really go beyond that, except with regards to bass - because most BAs have little to none so you lose out on a lot.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 207
i got these MH1c about an hour ago, i bought it off another head fi guy who had around 5 hours of burn in or so. 
I'm listening to these on my computer with no amp or whatever, and i always use a Sony MDR-v6. so there might be a bit of too high expectations and stuff but...
My V6 sound way better than these, in fact i just compared the MH1C to a no name earbuds that i got with my phone... the no name ones sound better
The MH1C sounds so damn muffled... yeah muffled, not to mention the cord is a bitch
Yeah its only 20 bucks but with all the hype i was pretty excited for them, but they sound like 5 dollars to me
Maybe  i need to burn in more but ....eh, overrated and hyped

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 207
The MH1C is nice but I doubt its as good as a CIEM, I know its not as good as my new Heir 3.Ai which is basically a custom.  It has been a bit over hype but I do think it compares very well next to a lot of $100 and even some $150.  The bass can sound a little sloppy with some edm because of the speed but all in all its a good IEM and for what they go for pretty amazing though they don't compare with my BA200.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 207
I wouldn't say "Just another M50" as the M50 was a geat headphone for a number of years, and is just getting surpassed now. (and even then, not in the same way)

It was known as an amazing all-rounder under $150, and still is, really. It doesn't sound horrible with anything, and does most genres rather well. I've never tried the MH1C - but I doubt it's better than CIEM's - as others have said.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #13 of 207
Quote:
I wouldn't say "Just another M50" as the M50 was a geat headphone for a number of years, and is just getting surpassed now. (and even then, not in the same way)

It was known as an amazing all-rounder under $150, and still is, really. It doesn't sound horrible with anything, and does most genres rather well. I've never tried the MH1C - but I doubt it's better than CIEM's - as others have said.

It is a good headphone - that's the thing. The hype is ruining a lot of the expectation on a perfectly good pair of headphones. I highly enjoy the M50s, I highly enjoy the MH1C. But there's a line somewhere, and people just love to cross it when it comes to "extremely high value, $1000 (well in this case, $100) beaters".

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 207
I have both the GR07 MK1's and the MH1C's.  After A/Bing them, I've come to this conclusion.  Are the MH1C good at $30? Yes, they are great.  For me however, they are overwhelmingly too warm for me to fully enjoy them.  I enjoy the bass quantity, but when it comes to overall detail/texture/soundstaging/treble I think the GR07's simply outclass them.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 207
Quote:
I have both the GR07 MK1's and the MH1C's.  After A/Bing them, I've come to this conclusion.  Are the MH1C good at $30? Yes, they are great.  For me however, they are overwhelmingly too warm for me to fully enjoy them.  I enjoy the bass quantity, but when it comes to overall detail/texture/soundstaging/treble I think the GR07's simply outclass them.

They are really warm aren't they...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back