Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
Oct 22, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #226 of 392
Well I didn't think so, but the DVD/CD quality has nothing to do with aptx, since the MDR1ABT flashes two times when I do nothing, and three times when I launch a music or change some settings (like the DVD/CD quality), it's more like a sign of the bluetooth activity. How the hell can I know if the headphone is on aptx, and how do we change mode ?!

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #227 of 392
Try using the toshiba stack/drivers instead of the CSR ones
http://www.aziocorp.com/en/content/14-downloads

I use these on my windows laptop with a BT dongle and it tells me what protocol it uses when connected(aptx or sbc etc)

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #228 of 392
  Yes i have upgraded my firmware i am looking forward to comparing LDAC with APTX ..I to see if there is any discernible difference between both  

Awesome!  To the best of my knowledge this would be the first comparison of its kind.  Ideally, this would be done as a blind test repeated multiple times, but we'll take what we can get! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #229 of 392
  Hi ! I have a problem with the MDR1-ABT and I really need help !!

I bought the headphone a week ago, and I wasn't able to connect it on my computer. Through the windows driver, it was working, but not with CSR Harmony -- and so not in aptx. It was because the windows drivers were causing some compability issues. So I uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled CSR, but still, it wasn't working. Then I tried to go to the registry to erase totally the Windows drivers -- still nothing.

After some hours of despair, looking at all the help that I can found on the internet, I decided to buy A NEW COMPUTER.
Obviously, I have put my bluetooth tongle AFTER installing CSR Harmony, so that the Windows drivers won't find me !
Now the headphone is working on CSR Harmony -- but I really don't think it's on aptx ! And so I'm basically in the same situation than before.
But that's the thing: how to know if we're on aptx or not ? I know there's supposed to be a logo when we first connect our headphone, and no, I haven't seen it. 

On the manual, I read that if we want to change the priority on the connection (sound or stable), I need to read the Help Guide. I just did, it's here :
http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/1abt/v1/en/print.html#TP0000773451

They don't talk about that !
Still, I found a help guide of the MDR10BT that say that you must press the VOLUM BUTTON +, but obviously it's not the case on the MDR1ABT. Anyway, in this same guide they say the flashes can help us to know if we're on aptx or not. If it flashes one or two times, no, if it flashes three times, then yes. My Sony MDR1ABT flashes two times... but I don't know if the flashes system of the MDR10BT applies on the MDR1ABT ! The help guide and the manual are craps (and it's strange because it seems the help guide for the other headphones are a lot better). I just can't find how to know and change the codec system ! Please help me, it's been a week and I'm tired of it ! I'll be forever grateful. And forgive me for my english, it's not my primary language...

(Oh and my dongle is this one, by the way : http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/440491/logilink-micro-bluetooth-40-usb-(apt-x).html )

I'm using Azio BTD-V401 dongle and CSR Harmony for my PC.  When the 1ABT connected to the PC, there's an aptX logo popping up at the lower right screen.  Unlike the 1RBT-MK2 or 10RBT, the 1ABT automatically select the best connection available, no need to press a button combination.

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #230 of 392
@Ravdo I though the logo only popped during the first connexion. If it always pops, then I'm definitely not on aptx -- which is baloney since I have done everything in order to have it. 
I know the 1ABT automatically select the best connection, but I don't see why the headphone hasn't something that can help us know what the connexions is (like for exemple the flashes on the MDR10BT). I'm really disappointed.

@TonySunshine Ok, thank you very much. The thing is that I precisely buy a new computer just to avoid the bluetooth compatibilities issues. I'm a bit afraid that for my first day of use, I already install two bluetooth programs. Does unistall CSR before installing the Toshiba is enough, or should I go into the registry ? All of this is ridiculous.

Thank you all...

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #231 of 392
It's finally working !
Just when I'd given up, windows send to me an alert, saying that I may need to install some NET 3.5 drivers (I think the OS heard my dispair). I did it, restart the computer, connect the headphone and, incredible, the logo atpx logo popped up. Hurray 
L3000.gif

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #233 of 392
It's finally working !
Just when I'd given up, windows send to me an alert, saying that I may need to install some NET 3.5 drivers (I think the OS heard my dispair). I did it, restart the computer, connect the headphone and, incredible, the logo atpx logo popped up. Hurray :L3000:

Nice to hear, but with the 1abt I don't think it makes any difference whether you're listening with aptx or sbc. They both Sound awesome.

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #234 of 392
Just to share my views on these cans as I recently managed to purchase them on a good deal. As with most user reviews, my opinion is subjective, hence your mileage may vary.

Build quality: Pretty decent, the 1ABTs front caps are made of plastic as opposed to the others in the MDR-1A range, probably because of the touch sensor. Leather cushions are of good quality. Made in Malaysia
Fit: Fits as well as I can imagine for closed cans (I generally prefer open designs due to less constriction and larger muffs). The earmuffs while large tend to bump into my (larger) ears still. Ok for a few hours listening but then begins to cramp my ears : P 
Controls: Only one power button. Touch controls take a while to get used to but work ok. Still prefer physical buttons though
Ability to be wired: Good move by Sony, as it extends the flexibility and longevity of the cans
Battery Life: So far very good, not worried about having to charge this every day

Very general impressions of the sound (via Apt-X and and various file quality levels from AAC/MP3 to ALAC) - For reference, I am familiar with the performance of headphones/earphones such as SR60, HD 580 & HD 598, and the Sony SBH-80

- These cans have a pretty decent soundstage for a closed design and are generally very musical and enjoyable with most genres. There is a lot of bass and mid range control probably due to the driver design and complements bass runs and helps give a better sense of the artiste's vocals textures
- Genres like soundtracks/Jazz/Vocals/Ambient-dance/Well-produced pop/rock pair well. Busy rock/dance tracks and overcooked recordings much less as the sound gets fairly 'congested' (Just speculating, could be due to the codec not being able to keep up, and also the closed design)
- A lot of detail can be heard from good recordings (double edged sword with bad recordings)
- Very forgiving with lossy files AAC/MP3 in general
- Overall a sense that 1ABT's full potential is held back by the lower quality codec. Will need to verify with the wired connection/LDAC

Overall, based on my initial listening impressions, these cans seem to come close to the HD598 in terms of overall enjoyment (though I still prefer the HD598 overall - but it isn't wireless to be fair). I rate the 598 very highly in terms of price/performance, and given my impressions are from wireless connections, and not the optimal wired/LDAC input, am overall impressed with the 1ABT.

Am now very curious about LDAC, perhaps will wait for a sale to pick up the A-20 walkman :)

P.s - Streaming via Bluetooth AAC codec on iPhone is acceptable, and definitely better than via SBC, and I was surprised that the general musical enjoyment is still there, likely due to the good design of these cans. However, there is more pronounced sibilance (to me) on more tracks. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #235 of 392
  As with most user reviews, my opinion is subjective, hence your mileage may vary.

Thanks a lot for the write up.

You've obviously done quite a bit of litstening and compared them with your other 'go-go' wired cans.  That's why I'm just curious why you haven tested them wired, especially if you're considering an LDAC-capable DAP?  If the improvement over wired is not significant enough, then any limitations are probably not related to the 'inferiority' of AptXm, in which case LDAC is unlikely to provide further improvements.

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #236 of 392

No reason other than I just haven't got around to doing so. :) I'm in no rush for LDAC yet, as the apt-x quality is good enough for now and comes close to my HD598.

Will do a more thorough test wired up later this week if I have time!

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #237 of 392
Just got my MDR1ABT yesterday they are not bad sounding at all testing it with my A17....LDAC is badass definitely better than APTX  you notice the difference....LDAC is louder and more dynamic you get a better spectrum of the sound ...Pairing the headphones is a breeze especially with NFC,it automatically choses LDAC if you have the codec on your device...I am going to take them out on the tube and the street so i can give them a test run and see how they isolate sound.
     So far very comfortable and not as heavy as the M2 wireless i had briefly which i did like...But these were cheaper plus the LDAC is proving to be Sony's ace ...

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #238 of 392
  Just got my MDR1ABT yesterday they are not bad sounding at all testing it with my A17....LDAC is badass definitely better than APTX  you notice the difference....LDAC is louder and more dynamic you get a better spectrum of the sound ...Pairing the headphones is a breeze especially with NFC,it automatically choses LDAC if you have the codec on your device...I am going to take them out on the tube and the street so i can give them a test run and see how they isolate sound.
     So far very comfortable and not as heavy as the M2 wireless i had briefly which i did like...But these were cheaper plus the LDAC is proving to be Sony's ace ...

Nice, more LDAC user
L3000.gif

Glad you like it
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #239 of 392

Ldac sounds promising. Hope to hear more impressions from others who are lucky enough to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back