Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
Oct 31, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #258 of 392
No just stock android.

That's really weird. I just fired up my old Verizon S3 that I keep around as a backup. My 1ABT flashes blue 3 times when playing music. There might be a system update that I haven't installed yet, since it's been off for quite a while (currently running Android 4.4.2). That might explain the discrepancy. 

What carrier do you use? I remember reading a while back that some budget carriers use custom firmware for their devices. If that's the case for you, their firmware might not support aptX.

Otherwise, you might try resetting the headphones using the button on top of the left ear cup. 

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #259 of 392
That's really weird. I just fired up my old Verizon S3 that I keep around as a backup. My 1ABT flashes blue 3 times when playing music. There might be a system update that I haven't installed yet, since it's been off for quite a while (currently running Android 4.4.2). That might explain the discrepancy. 

What carrier do you use? I remember reading a while back that some budget carriers use custom firmware for their devices. If that's the case for you, their firmware might not support aptX.

Otherwise, you might try resetting the headphones using the button on top of the left ear cup. 

I did a factory reset about an hour ago and the light flashes 3 times when music plays now. I assume I'm getting aptx now. The sound does seem to be better. Haven't abx tested, but there seems to be an improvement.
Everything is slightly sharper now. Before the hi hats were a bit phasey but now everything is clearer.
Thanks for your help.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #260 of 392
Hello,

Since it's here that I've gathered enough informations about the best bluetooth headphones and aptx, I feel that I need to put here my "review" of the Sony MDR1 ABT.

Honestly, I'm know that I'm kind of alone on this, but it's a disappointment. First, you have to know that the only other bluetooth headphone that I know is the EP650. I love this one in everyway: great sound and very comfortable. Now, since it's a bit cheap, I was interested in buying a real audiophile headphone. I chose the MDR 1ABT, and for the price gap (40 euros vs 270 euros), it's just not worth it.
It's true that the ABT is very comfy. It fits my ears as good as my old EP650, but the earpads are even softer. It has a really sweet look (beautiful packaging too), with a great touch sensor system -- it has also a very small light, which is great for people like me who are used to listening music in the dark (I had to put a big strap on the EP650).
But the sound are definitely not worth the price gap. It's true that the sound is crisper and clearer than the EP650 -- no question ask, we can hear it's better and richer. But it also feels very distant ! The voice of the singer, for exemple, feels too far away from us -- when with my old EP650, I feel like I'm IN the song (like the singer is talking to me).
So 1) even if the Sony MDR1 ABT has a crisper and clearer sound, it's not worth the price gap (though I haven't tried it with LDAC). 2) the weird feeling to not be in the song, and more like a distant analyst, makes me personnaly like even better the EP650. That shouldn't be the case.
So if you prefer to feel in a song, more than to be able to hear it perfectly, avoid the MDR1 ABT.

Now, I don't totally regret my pursue, because 1) it made me realize that when you love something, you should stick with it no matter what. It's ridiculous to think that because there's pricer stuff available, it will always be better. 2) My quest for an audiophile headphones made me discover aptx, and since my EP650 is compatible, well, it's even better now ! Our love is stronger than ever, thank you Sony !

Still, I'm wondering if people feels the same way about this "distance" thing, particulary with the voice, of the MDR1 ABT. I know it's not a supra/circumaural problem, since the EP650 is circum like the MDR1 ABT. Are all the high-end bluetooth audiophiles this way, conceived more to hear perfectly a song on itself, more than to really LIVE it ?

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #261 of 392
You mileage may vary, but I was reading Rin Choi's analysis of the MDR-1R http://rinchoi.blogspot.sg/2013/05/sony-mdr-1r-one.html and was wondering if the little tweak to wear the 1R more behind the ear would also work on the 1ABTs as they appear to have the same design (really not sure on this, speculation on my part)

It could be placebo, but I seem to be hearing a different sound stage effect. Do you guys feel the same?

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #262 of 392
  so I've been experimenting with pads on my 1ABT the past few months.
I tried the 1A on in the sony store before I got the 1ABT and found both very comfortable. But around the 4 hour mark the tips of my ears started to get kind of sore, indicating to me that the earpads were just a bit too shallow. So here are some of my findings

HM5 pleather pads - very large and comfy. However, they change the sound too much. Mids become quite recessed, treble gets peaky/sibilance. Bass gets even meatier/boomy
HM5 velour pads - similar to the pleather. Very comfy but changes the sound way too much. Less bass emphasis than the pleather and gives a wider sound stage, probably due to less of a seal
HM5 hybrid pads - same as the velour pads in terms of sound
HM5 angled pads - similar sound change as the other 3 HM5 pads, isolation and comfort is the best with these(for me)
ATH-M50X pleather pads - These stay true to the sound of the stock pads, but unfortunately are nearly identical in dimensions so doesn't help me with the soar ear tips thing
ATH-M50X velour pads - opens up the sound stage quite a bit, but also brings up the treble as well as reduces the warmth of the bass. Comfortable but again I didn't like the sound change

Senn HD280 pads(geekria version) - so these will end my earpad journey for my 1ABTs. They are slightly deeper and slightly bigger in diameter than the stock pads, just enough to give me the comfort I want without changing the sound sig significantly. Note that it still does recess the mids a bit compared to the stock, but not nearly as significant as all the other pads. Heres a pic. Not the prettiest match for the 1ABT due to the "wrinkles," but I'll take function over form
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Headphone-Cushion-Earpads-Repair/dp/B0105DVNL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443630239&sr=8-1&keywords=hd280+ear+pads

Hope this helps some of you out!

I was thinking of trying some other pads on my 1abts, I'm finding the leather pads that they come with are making my ears far to hot. I know that some people say that other materials may be slight easier to wear and a bit cooler.

How easy is it to change the pads and do I need any special tools?

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #263 of 392
http://blog.son-video.com/en/2015/10/review-sony-nw-zx100-walkman-sony-pha-1aeu-bluetooth-headphones-and-sony-mdr-1abt-dac-and-headphone-amplifier/

More LDAC impressions ^^

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #264 of 392
Nope no tools its easy. Theres a lip on the ear cups that you just stretch the pads over

I was thinking of trying some other pads on my 1abts, I'm finding the leather pads that they come with are making my ears far to hot. I know that some people say that other materials may be slight easier to wear and a bit cooler.

How easy is it to change the pads and do I need any special tools?

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #265 of 392
  http://blog.son-video.com/en/2015/10/review-sony-nw-zx100-walkman-sony-pha-1aeu-bluetooth-headphones-and-sony-mdr-1abt-dac-and-headphone-amplifier/

More LDAC impressions ^^

Thanks for sharing - a very interesting read.  This may be the first ever ABX between SBC, AptX, LDAC and Wired.  The results are pretty much what I expected.  The only thing that surprised me a bit is that he could actually discern the difference between Redbook and hi-res.  I must admit, my hears aren't as good.

I have a Sony Z5C phone, which has LDAC and have been considering getting the 1ABT, but it's not easy to justify, considering that I do most of my listening by streaming 320kbps MP3s. Besides, since recently getting an SBH80 I haven't even been using my 1RBT MK2 as much.

I will keep an eye on Sony's announcements at CES 2016.  My guess is that they will be releasing more LDAC headphones (perhaps even 1ABT MK2?).

EDIT: Here's the best write up on the technology behind LDAC that I could find a few months back.  I don't think it's been posted here before.
Kudos to the author for his persistence and asking Sony the right questions.  I agree, if this is indeed true then the technical achievement is nothing short of astonishing.

http://www.avhub.com.au/news/sound-image/what-is-sony-ldac-and-how-does-it-do-it-408285

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #267 of 392
Low volumes via BT on my MDR-1ABT.. Is this due to UK retrictions?

Any way round this? Just need a tad more to be perfect!

I'm not sure.
My 1ABT is from Japan, and it's quite loud
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #269 of 392
Could anyone please confirm if 1ABT comes with EU volume limit in europe?

I'm in Germany and I'm planning to buy one but if its going to come with EU volume limit then I will import from some other country

Thanks

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #270 of 392
  Has anyone compared this to the sennheiser momentum wireless ?

The mids from the mdr1-abt don't sound nearly as good as on the momentum, the sound generaly speaking isn't as good.
It is great to develop and new BT codec that surpasses the (quite old nowadays) apt-x codec (and the mediocre SBC) but that only makes sense if you release high standard compatible cans, the mdr1-abt aren't nearly as good headphones as the momentum (they aren't Sony's best either), they aren't bad headphones, but I wouldn't say they are audiophile oriented.

You also need to consider the fact that the mdr1-abt do not feature any Noise Cancellation which makes those a poor choice to use on the go if you travel anywhere near busy commuters and in terms of in-home wireless headphones, there are much better choices from Sony itself based on custom RF standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back