Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
Oct 29, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #241 of 392
  @goody :
Don't forget to change the LDAC to "Sound Quality" (990 kbps), IIRC the default setting is "Normal" (660 kbps)
rolleyes.gif

ok. my A17 is in Japanese i noticed different LDAC setting but i was not sure which was which..i chose the topmost LDAC setting ..is that the 990kbps one?

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #243 of 392

Yes, it is
wink.gif

No wonder i was blown away ..Sony has got to promote this LDAC codec a lot better i think people will definitely appreciate it... it is very good its like listening to wired headphones....plus the sony headphones are great sounding well worth the purchase..

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #244 of 392
Just got my black MDR-1ABT. Pairing it with my new Xperia Z5 phone via NFC is a breeze. Just found out that the touch control volume independently controls the headphone amp volume itself and does not adjust the volume of the walkman player in the phone. Therefore things can get abit loud if you really wanna max both the headphone and walkman volume out. This is my first time owning a BT headphone set and coming from my wired ATH-IM02 iems, although I'm no audiophile but I feel that this LDAC tech is damn good sounding for a wireless set of cans 
L3000.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #245 of 392
  Just got my MDR1ABT yesterday they are not bad sounding at all testing it with my A17....LDAC is badass definitely better than APTX  you notice the difference....LDAC is louder and more dynamic you get a better spectrum of the sound ...Pairing the headphones is a breeze especially with NFC,it automatically choses LDAC if you have the codec on your device...I am going to take them out on the tube and the street so i can give them a test run and see how they isolate sound.
     So far very comfortable and not as heavy as the M2 wireless i had briefly which i did like...But these were cheaper plus the LDAC is proving to be Sony's ace ...

I wear mine on the way to work and I find the isolation is pretty good when outside. ​

I'm thinking of sending mine back though, I feel really hot when I have had them on for over 30 minutes.

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #246 of 392
  Just to share my views on these cans as I recently managed to purchase them on a good deal. As with most user reviews, my opinion is subjective, hence your mileage may vary.

Build quality: Pretty decent, the 1ABTs front caps are made of plastic as opposed to the others in the MDR-1A range, probably because of the touch sensor. Leather cushions are of good quality. Made in Malaysia
Fit: Fits as well as I can imagine for closed cans (I generally prefer open designs due to less constriction and larger muffs). The earmuffs while large tend to bump into my (larger) ears still. Ok for a few hours listening but then begins to cramp my ears : P 
Controls: Only one power button. Touch controls take a while to get used to but work ok. Still prefer physical buttons though
Ability to be wired: Good move by Sony, as it extends the flexibility and longevity of the cans
Battery Life: So far very good, not worried about having to charge this every day

Very general impressions of the sound (via Apt-X and and various file quality levels from AAC/MP3 to ALAC) - For reference, I am familiar with the performance of headphones/earphones such as SR60, HD 580 & HD 598, and the Sony SBH-80

- These cans have a pretty decent soundstage for a closed design and are generally very musical and enjoyable with most genres. There is a lot of bass and mid range control probably due to the driver design and complements bass runs and helps give a better sense of the artiste's vocals textures
- Genres like soundtracks/Jazz/Vocals/Ambient-dance/Well-produced pop/rock pair well. Busy rock/dance tracks and overcooked recordings much less as the sound gets fairly 'congested' (Just speculating, could be due to the codec not being able to keep up, and also the closed design)
- A lot of detail can be heard from good recordings (double edged sword with bad recordings)
- Very forgiving with lossy files AAC/MP3 in general
- Overall a sense that 1ABT's full potential is held back by the lower quality codec. Will need to verify with the wired connection/LDAC

Overall, based on my initial listening impressions, these cans seem to come close to the HD598 in terms of overall enjoyment (though I still prefer the HD598 overall - but it isn't wireless to be fair). I rate the 598 very highly in terms of price/performance, and given my impressions are from wireless connections, and not the optimal wired/LDAC input, am overall impressed with the 1ABT.

Am now very curious about LDAC, perhaps will wait for a sale to pick up the A-20 walkman :)

P.s - Streaming via Bluetooth AAC codec on iPhone is acceptable, and definitely better than via SBC, and I was surprised that the general musical enjoyment is still there, likely due to the good design of these cans. However, there is more pronounced sibilance (to me) on more tracks. 

May I know if you played iTunes AAC from iPhone? Because I heard that if its AAC from iphone and receiver supports AAC then there won't be any transcoding. So in theory it should sound equal to if not better than aptx (provided the file is AAC). 

Do you feel the same?

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #247 of 392

May I know if you played iTunes AAC from iPhone? Because I heard that if its AAC from iphone and receiver supports AAC then there won't be any transcoding. So in theory it should sound equal to if not better than aptx (provided the file is AAC). 

Do you feel the same?

Hmm I don't think the type of files matter. There is to my ears a big difference between AAC codec and Apt-X (though I have not done any ABX testing). I have files in AAC, ALAC and they seem to sound better transmitting in Apt-X. Sony is going to open LDAC for licensing, maybe Apple will sign up.

In general in order of quality of transmission, SBC < AAC < Apt-X < LDAC from what I understand. 

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #248 of 392

Hmm I don't think the type of files matter. There is to my ears a big difference between AAC codec and Apt-X (though I have not done any ABX testing). I have files in AAC, ALAC and they seem to sound better transmitting in Apt-X. Sony is going to open LDAC for licensing, maybe Apple will sign up.

In general in order of quality of transmission, SBC < AAC < Apt-X < LDAC from what I understand. 

Yep i agree with that LDAC is the best sounding i actually compared it to Apt-X and there was a discernible diffrence

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #250 of 392
Does anyone know how to set the desired connection method (aptx/ldac etc) on the 1abt?

Cheers.

It does it automatically just connect through NFC and it connects to the best  bluetooth codec on your device

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #253 of 392
What do the lights flash like to indicate aptx connection on the 1abt?

There are no settings for it unless you have a Sony player I think.

As far as I know, it always flashes blue twice at regular intervals when connected, but once you start playing audio it begins flashing blue three times quickly when connected via aptX.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #255 of 392
There are no settings for it unless you have a Sony player I think.

As far as I know, it always flashes blue twice at regular intervals when connected, but once you start playing audio it begins flashing blue three times quickly when connected via aptX.

It's flashing twice quickly at regular intervals when music is playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back