Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
Sep 15, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #169 of 392
Got mine today and paired them up with my A15. I can't believe how easy it was to pair them via NFC.

Only listened to a couple of songs so far and got to say that they sounded good.

One probably stupid question though. They came already charged, but how do I know or find out how much charge is left in them so that I know when to put them on charge. I can't see me always having the cable with me in case I run out of charge when I am away from home.

Does anyone wear them outdoors while on public transport or walking. My gf said she couldn't believe how big they were and she can't believe that I would walk along the street wearing them (shows how wrong she is though, cause I plan to use them on my way to work tomorrow).

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #173 of 392

One probably stupid question though. They came already charged, but how do I know or find out how much charge is left in them so that I know when to put them on charge. I can't see me always having the cable with me in case I run out of charge when I am away from home.

Does anyone wear them outdoors while on public transport or walking. My gf said she couldn't believe how big they were and she can't believe that I would walk along the street wearing them (shows how wrong she is though, cause I plan to use them on my way to work tomorrow).

When you turn them on, take note of the flashing red light.  3 flashes and you are good, 1 flash and you need to recharge.  I've been impressed with how long the batteries last (versus the NW-ZX2, which I've been disappointed how short the battery life is, particularly when listening wirelessly).

As for wearing them outdoors, personal preference of course.  I find them a bit too large to wear walking down the street.

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #174 of 392

Assuming this hasn't changed since the previous model, just press the power button briefly - the red LED light will flash either once (needs charge), twice (around 50%) or three times (almost full).

EDIT: I have worn them outside and in the supermarket without noticing too many dirty looks - perhaps I was just too absorbed in the music? 
smily_headphones1.gif

I do think that in most urban environments people are quite used to seeing over-ear headphones being worn.  At least these ones don't have wires hanging out.

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #175 of 392

When you turn them on, take note of the flashing red light.  3 flashes and you are good, 1 flash and you need to recharge.

Interesting... On the immediate predecessor model (MDR-1RBTMK2) it's the blue light that flashes on start up and it actually gives you info about the type of connection (e.g. 3 flashes for AptX) rather than the battery status - you need to press the power button for that.

Sep 16, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #176 of 392

Assuming this hasn't changed since the previous model, just press the power button briefly - the red LED light will flash either once (needs charge), twice (around 50%) or three times (almost full).

EDIT: I have worn them outside and in the supermarket without noticing too many dirty looks - perhaps I was just too absorbed in the music? 
smily_headphones1.gif

I do think that in most urban environments people are quite used to seeing over-ear headphones being worn.  At least these ones don't have wires hanging out.

I read the manual last night and didn't see the info about the LED anywhere.

I wore them on the way to work this morning and they were good, no strange looks from people.
redface.gif

It did skip a few times, but I think this was due to me turning my head when crossing the road.

My only real problem is trying to get used to the swipe controls. I am okay with most of them, it is the volume that I seem to have problems with.

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #177 of 392
I agree.  I'm not crazy about the swipe controls.  I read that you swipe up or down and then hold there to actually change.  I have found that works better.  But still I wish it had buttons.  I ocassionaly change tracks or go back to the beginning of the track trying to adjust the volume.

Edit: it is not just a press of the power button.  You have to power them on.  The light blinks blue once, then blinks red (mine blinked 3 times) and then goes back to flashing blue to indicate connection.  I never see that because they are usually are on my head so I can hear the chime to know they are on...

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #178 of 392
I like the swipe control, but it is getting the right spot for the volume. I will try swiping up/down and holding and see if that works better. The fact that I am left handed makes it a little more awkward,

Sep 17, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #179 of 392
Sep 18, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #180 of 392
 I received my 1ABT's today and haven't put them down yet
k701smile.gif
. I had my 950bt's on all day so my ears had to adjust, but when they did I was happy. They're clear just like the MK2's but there is definitely more base and sub low is present, not strong but its enjoyably there. Yes I'm a Bass head that loved the clarity of the MK2's but couldn't deal with the lack of bass. These 1ABT's are giving me the sound I have been trying to get out of my 950bt's with all the mods and heavy EQ adjusting. 950bt's still had too much bass and the mids and highs weren't strong enough. If your sporting the 950BT's and your thinking of upgrading, the 1ABT's are the way to go. Similar sound but much better quality. Good highs, sweet mids and they have tighter bass compared to the 950BT's. I jumped on Tidal and set it to play FLACC 1411. I listened to Fleetwood Mac, Clapton, Nas, Biggie Smalls, Sting, Milky Chance, Arcade Fire, Warren G, Megadeth, Motley Crue, you name it and everything sounded good without touching an EQ haha. Finally a set of cans I can just wear and shuffle through my library without adjusting the EQ. One more thing, I plugged the 1abt's into my AW15 and shut off the Sound Blaster Recon 3Di software so it wouldn't interfere with the sound and YES they sound a little bit better plugged in. You can hear the difference. Tomorrow I will try how Blueray Movies sound with Bluetooth and plugged in. Its gonna be fun day tomorrow haha.
 The ONLY thing I cant get my head over is that I paid $99 for my 950bt's and the sound is (kind of close but not there) to these 1ABT's. And I paid $447 for the 1ABT's, tax and shipping
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back