Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
Sep 7, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #151 of 392
I just went through a stack of headphones looking for something that improved on my P7's.  These Sony's really impressed me.  They were my favorite of the bunch, which included Denon MM400, GC20, Parrot Zik 1's, Bose QC25, Momentum 2 wired, my P7's and my Beats Studio Wireless.  At this point I am ready to sell the Studio's as these Sony's are a huge improvement.  The 1ABT is on par with the P7 and the Momentum 2.0, which are my favorites of the bunch.  

As far as the 1ABT, the main thing I like is the sound quality.  It is just awesome to my ears.  Great detail, separation, sound stage and bass is perfect.  The main thing I don't like about them is the touch controls.  I am starting to get used to it.  The build quality is not on the same level as most of the others I tried considering they are all the same price.  But sound quality is the top priority for me.  The last thing I wish for is a carrying case like the GC20 and QC25.  As another poster inquired, if anyone has found a flat carrying case, please do share what it is.

So the 1ABT is my new favorite all around.  I feel that the Momentum is a bit more comfortable and fits a little better.  I can't let the P7's go, they are still outstanding.

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #153 of 392
Making these ignorant comments toward anything ever said about beats is so old. I thought this was a discussion of open minded people about a highly subjective topic. Both companies have a range of products. I’ve got Sony headphones that are junk compared to my studios and vise versa.

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #154 of 392
Beats by dre is well known by the audiophiles...for being a "....." Product. You fill in the blank. To compare them to Sony ? Lol...

Have you ever even listened to a Beats hp, or are you just being another elitist Headfi snob who thinks they know everything about what should constitute "good" hifi? Just asking.

I own 3 pairs of Beats along with what are considered "good" cans here at Headfi, and honestly they're great. Specifically in relation to your comment, I own the Sony 1r and 1rbt, and the Beats are definitely at the same level/league. All IMO of course :grin:

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #155 of 392
Yes, sir, I have heard of beats headphones. Sounds is subjective, that was why I left the blank to fill in. Different people have different tastes, and different recognition of music and tonality. I don't hate beats, in fact I admire his products of which make the user come to aware of sound quality more.

When talking about quality audio, majority of audiophiles mean "Neutral, realistic, imagines, details" non colored. I have yet to see a pair of beats that was totally accepted by the majority of audiophiles. There is a reason why Hd800 or LCD X is accepted for the majority of audiophiles.

Beats sound good for common folks, and the same as 1A-BT. Neither one is aimed toward audiophiles. They are high end consumer products. 1A-BT can not get to audiophiles level with it lousy internal S-Master, neither is Beat wireless.

Anyways, Sony is known to make good Audiophile headphones MDR-R10, Qualia, SA3/5k....these are all legendary status. But it doesn't mean a common folk will appreciate it either. Why ? Because a person can not appreciate what he/she doesn't like. Subjective, yes, but the majority of audiophiles are different. Now, tell me if Beats by Dre had ever produced such legendaries status gears among the audiophile ?

I really don't hate Beats, I only dislike how he market his products, price vs quality ratio.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #156 of 392
I own 3 pairs of Beats along with what are considered "good" cans here at Headfi, and honestly they're great. Specifically in relation to your comment, I own the Sony 1r and 1rbt, and the Beats are definitely at the same level/league. All IMO of course :grin:

How does the soundstage / imaging / separation compare between the Beats and the 1R?

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #157 of 392

They are high end consumer products. 1A-BT can not get to audiophiles level with it lousy internal S-Master, neither is Beat wireless.

Do you have any evidence that the S-Master in the 1ABT is 'lousy'?  By all accounts, the 1ABT's sound quality is comparable to it's own wired mode as well as the well-regarded MDR-1A, which would suggest that the S-Master is doing a rather good job.

Any perceivable loss in the sound quality relative to the wired mode (or version) is more likely to be attributed to the limitations of the bluetooth technology rather than the S-Master.

By the way, can you name a bluetooth headphone that you would consider to be in the audiophile leagues?

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #158 of 392

How does the soundstage / imaging / separation compare between the Beats and the 1R?

I only put on my Beats 1 more time after I got the 1ABT.  The sound was so foreign I wondered how I had ever enjoyed them.  I find that often though when I do A-B testing.  It takes a few minutes to adjust.  I think the 1ABT is better in every way though.  Sorry I can't give a more detailed account.  If I get time later I'll pull the Beats out one last time.  They are currently on eBay. :wink:

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #159 of 392
Do you have any evidence that the S-Master in the 1ABT is 'lousy'?  By all accounts, the 1ABT's sound quality is comparable to it's own wired mode as well as the well-regarded MDR-1A, which would suggest that the S-Master is doing a rather good job.

Any perceivable loss in the sound quality relative to the wired mode (or version) is more likely to be attributed to the limitations of the bluetooth technology rather than the S-Master.

By the way, can you name a bluetooth headphone that you would consider to be in the audiophile leagues?

I too am searching for an audiophiles quality Bluetooth Hp. None available at the moment ! There are many clues as of why the 1ABT is only high-end consumer Hp, which if you search and compare in the league (Bluetooth), the 1ABT is probably the best out of forms/functions/Quality !

1/ it is priced in the medium-low range
2/ it is regular S-Master, which is not even in the lowest line of any Walkman
3/ it is small/compact/light weight.....etc....etc

I won't be surprised to hear good quality of sound out of it, but to get to the level of audiophiles, nothing beat the traditional powerful HP/amp/ quality expensive cables ! Even so, you will then be looking at several thousands invested. So when you simply fares a couple hundred $ HP to a couple thousands rigs...that is your evidence

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #160 of 392

I only put on my Beats 1 more time after I got the 1ABT.  The sound was so foreign I wondered how I had ever enjoyed them.  I find that often though when I do A-B testing.  It takes a few minutes to adjust.  I think the 1ABT is better in every way though.  Sorry I can't give a more detailed account.  If I get time later I'll pull the Beats out one last time.  They are currently on eBay. :wink:

To be honest, I would have expected this.  I asked dcfac73 the question because he said that the Beats were on the same level as the 1ABT, which was not my understanding, especially in regards to the soundstage.

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #161 of 392
I too am searching for an audiophiles quality Bluetooth Hp. None available at the moment ! There are many clues as of why the 1ABT is only high-end consumer Hp, which if you search and compare in the league (Bluetooth), the 1ABT is probably the best out of forms/functions/Quality !

I wouldn't necessarily say that the 1ABT is the only game in town for high-end bluetooth headphones, but it's most likely in the top 3-5 at the moment, especially considering that people gravitate to different sound signatures.  Some people prefer the Sennheiser, others like the neutrality of the Definitive Technologies or the bass from Philips or Audio Technica etc.

There are a couple of extensive threads on here with a lot of information dedicated to high-end BT headphones - one started by n00b2 and the other by Giogio.

And yes, I wouldn't consider today's high-end bluetooth headphones as competition to audiophile gear costing thousands of dollars but they have gotten incredibly good over the past 2-3 years and represent great value and utility, considering that can get very good sound from your phone without the need for a dedicated DAP, DAC or amp.  And, most importantly, without wires.

And because you have the NWZ-ZX2, you could actually use the 1ABT with LDAC, which is supposed to be the next best thing to a wired setup.

By the way, I'm not convinced that the 1ABT doesn't have the same S-Master as the ZX2.  Even though Sony's product info site says that the 1ABT uses the S-Master, I suspect that it's actually the S-Master HX (the same one as in the ZX2), as the former does not support hi-res, which the 1ABT obviously supports.  Regardless, AFAIK hi-res support is the only difference between the two S-Masters.

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #162 of 392
I wouldn't necessarily say that the 1ABT is the only game in town for high-end bluetooth, but it's most likely in the top 3-5 at the moment, especially considering that people gravitate to different sound signatures.  Some people prefer the Sennheiser, others like the neutrality of the Definitive Technologies or the bass from Philips etc.

There are a couple of extensive threads on here with a lot of information dedicated to high-end BT headphones - one started by n00b2 and the other by Giogio.

Agreed, pretty much spot on once sound signatures is in play. The exact reason why there would not be any audiophile wireless for a while. Because, that would be super expensive, but then..people preferences. Take Hd800 for example, with different systems it sound slightly different. Enough for the audiophiles to tell and to pick the part. Would it be a custom wireless system into Hd800 for a specific someone ? What would he do when he want to sell it ? Take a whole week and do tea party/discuss everyday with the next possible owner then sell it ? Lol

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #164 of 392

When using wired, is the sound quality the same with mdr1a?

is 215usd a good price for mdr1ab?t

You have already asked this in the 1A thread, but it's probably more appropriate here.

Someone (in this thread I think) has confirmed that it does sound very close to 1A in the wired mode, but you may want to do your own comparison at a store if you can.

Yes, that price is great.  Would you mind sharing the store?

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #165 of 392

You have already asked this in the 1A thread, but it's probably more appropriate here.

Someone (in this thread I think) has confirmed that it does sound very close to 1A in the wired mode, but you may want to do your own comparison at a store if you can.

Yes, that price is great.  Would you mind sharing the store?

Yeah, I already asked there, here are more appropriate. It's In Malaysia, Sony have some sales now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back