Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
Aug 21, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #121 of 392
dc, 

The Companion One IS sweet lol....... I f'in' LOVE it! The sound quality is amazing. I mean, they say it sounds better than amp/DAC or amp/DAC players TWICE it's price...... what more can you ask for? lol

Here's the thing with the wireless options........ Wi-Fi has 13-14 times the bandwidth and much more bit rate than Bluetooth, but it's not easy finding headphones that are compatible with it as most are Bluetooth. Speakers though are not that hard...........Sonos, Harman Kardon, etc have Wi-Fi streaming options. But for headphones, I only found one or two pairs by Koss, and they're out of stock, and not sold on Amazon or eBay either. lol I use the wired Sony MDR-1A headphones, so doesn't matter for me. But I have tried streaming from my Z3 phone to the CO, and that works, but........not perfectly, and now I don't do it anymore. Why? See below.

1) Not so great functionality: Wi-Fi Streaming is great, but at least for Android phones which is what I have, it's been a challenge finding apps that can do this properly. I use Poweramp to play my music (aka the greatest music playing app EVER, period. lol), but since it doesn't do streaming, I was forced to look for a good one that did. So I found the N7 Player, which, when coupled with the Toaster Cast app, made Wi-Fi streaming possible, which is great in the car cuz then I can charge my phone too. But what kept happening was after 2-3 songs, the apps would lose connection with my CO (which is THEIR fault, not the CO's), and I'd have to reconnect again each time it happened. In some cases, the connection would get lost MIDSONG which was totally unacceptable. 2) Sound Quality: The sound quality of both Wi-Fi and wired are great, but I did still notice a difference when comparing the two. In the car I wouldn't but on my 1As I did. I played the Led Zeppelin song "Tea For One" in Hi-Res on my 1As, both ways. After several listens, I started to notice an "earth-shaking rumble" that came from the bass drum immediately after the drummer hit it during the song's intro. In the Wi-Fi listens, I could barely hear/feel it at all, but in the wired listens, it was very apparent and awesome. It was then that I realized even Wi-Fi wasn't better than wired, but PROB better than Bluetooth. In the car I would've been fine with that, but that's a no-go as I said in #1. 

I'm gonna try to find other Android apps that can handle Wi-Fi Streaming, but if I can't, I can't. We'll see. So yeah, the Wi-Fi Streaming on the CO (at least from Android) isn't an easy option to capitalize on, but it IS there. 

Well AirPlay is for iPhone. DLNA is for Android, though this was an alternate to DLNA. What phone do you have? If iPhone, you might have better luck than me. lol I don't mind the wired headphones b/c I can still get up and do stuff and just leave the CO on the table (the distance range of Wi-Fi is MUCH wider than Bluetooth), but up to you. You can take a walk outside with the CO in your pocket too, with phone wirelessly connected to it at least. But if you really don't want a wire to your headphones, then 1ABT is the answer for you. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #122 of 392
dc, 

Yeah it's a software upgrade, not really hardware. My A17 didn't have it out of the box, but after the update was installed on it, it did. 

Just get the A17 Walkman, make sure to install the update on it, get the 1ABTs (in black or silver), and never look back! lol (Better deal for black version here, but hurry. Only 3 left!!) You can use Sony PC Companion to do the updates, or if not, use Media Go as a backup. Or try doing it manually via PC first, but not 100% sure if you can. 

Note: MAKE SURE the Walkman has no music on it when updating, so update first, then put the songs on there. Future updates mean you must remove the songs then update then put them back on. I know, but they say to do that if you read the update instructions. I didn't initially and had issues later on.

And remember, post here so we all know how LDAC sounded using a player AND a pair of headphones that have it built-in. Make sure to activate the best LDAC option available (I think it's labeled "LDAC Sound Quality" or "LDAC Strongest Sound" etc) in the Bluetooth settings of the A17. Just having LDAC on the headphones is enough to make a difference, per this 1ABT review

Excerpt from that review: 

However—and this is the case for all wireless headphones—streaming audio wirelessly means you’ll inevitably suffer a loss in quality. While this is mitigated by LDAC, you’ll need to have it in both the output and the input to experience the full benefits. That means using other Sony branded products like its stereo systems or their new [COLOR=00BAF2]Walkman to listen to your music. Otherwise it won’t sound as full or detailed as it was intended to. But, when I listened through my non-Sony phone and MacBook Air computer, I was able to discern a higher quality using wireless then when I used the [COLOR=00BAF2]Momentum Wireless headphones[/COLOR]. Just don’t count on that always being the case.[/color]

Fact: The Momentums cost $100 than the 1ABTs. lol 

Keep us posted on what you do! :dt880smile:  

I want to keep my zx1. I love the wired performance of this dap. BT paired with my 1rbt is really good as well. Still deciding whether to pull the trigger on the 1abt. If I do I'll probably wait a while before I get a Ldac capable device. Thanks for the info anyway.

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #124 of 392
dc, 

Ok sounds good. Let us know if you do get the 1ABTs how they sound. As that review states, even just using them on a non-LDAC capable device still results in better sound quality. 

Non LDAC will just be Bt3.0, and I agreed. BT 3.0 is CD quality....but again, what DAC was built into that wireless receiver :wink: ? LDAC is more for heavier data, such as SACD or DVD, Bluray stuff!

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #125 of 392
Whitigir, 

I mean, CD Quality to me is no different than Hi-Res quality, it's just that Hi-Res album releases almost always tend to sound better b/c more care and attention was put into them in the studio. As long as it's above mp3, it's all the same to me. I would just say BT 3.0 has a compressed sound to it, as even Wi-Fi Streaming does as I'd explained earlier from my "Tea For One" comparison test. Yes LDAC is for heavier data, but nothing beats wired is all I'm saying. 

My Celsus Sound Companion One uses one of the highest rated DACs available (or a mobile version of it anyway), at least for under $2000 if not more................the ESS Sabre 9018K2M. But the supporting technology is top-notch too, or else it wouldn't have been rated so highly. It took SEVERAL listens for me to notice the difference I mentioned before, so that's a credit to the technology at hand here. I would say it's 95-99% similar to a wired connection. The difference was minimal, BUT noticeable. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #126 of 392
Whitigir, 

I mean, CD Quality to me is no different than Hi-Res quality, it's just that Hi-Res album releases almost always tend to sound better b/c more care and attention was put into them in the studio. As long as it's above mp3, it's all the same to me. I would just say BT 3.0 has a compressed sound to it, as even Wi-Fi Streaming does as I'd explained earlier from my "Tea For One" comparison test. Yes LDAC is for heavier data, but nothing beats wired is all I'm saying. 

My Celsus Sound Companion One uses one of the highest rated DACs available (or a mobile version of it anyway), at least for under $2000 if not more................the ESS Sabre 9018K2M. But the supporting technology is top-notch too, or else it wouldn't have been rated so highly. It took SEVERAL listens for me to notice the difference I mentioned before, so that's a credit to the technology at hand here. I would say it's 95-99% similar to a wired connection. The difference was minimal, BUT noticeable. 

Exactly. As of now, nothing can beat wired performance. I mean simply upgrade cables, and with capable system, there is obvious change. Sometime subtles, sometime more noticeable, but there is changes. Beside, as advanced as our technologies nowadays, the one of the lightest of all pure audiophile grade DAP is ZX2....step down a bit would be A17 for a so so sound....imagine all that weight on top of a wireless headphones :wink:.

It is going to be possible to make such high-end wireless......but again, the market is so ripen for Headphones, Cables, Headphone Amps....etc. why would they kill the market by simply releasing such wireless device that can kill them all ?

Again, unless someone pull a team for kick starter.....simply open up A17....improves the components materials, stick into a Bluetooth receiver instead of a transmitter :D give it more juice depend on the HP you are building it to be....Voila a sophisticated Auidophile high-end HP wireless. Probably gonna cost 2000+ but it replace Expensive DAP, CABLES, AMPS....hehehehe. But then it can not beat the system of Hugo+AK380+Silver cable + your favorite HP :D

Aug 22, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #128 of 392
Whitigr, 

Yeah the ZX2 is very well-rated. I was just saying that my Companion One costs half as much, and is rated as having better sound than the ZX2. But it just depends on what you prefer, dedicated players or amp/DACs you can hook up to your phone (or even to a dedicated player I guess). 

Well they'll still make money from people buying those players if they can make the Wi-Fi sound EQUAL to a wired connection. I too believe we are getting closer and closer, but until we are there, I will stick with wired connections. 

I mean, I had the A17, and I thought it sounded great! Like I said to dc, it's rated as being better than the ZX1 "where it counts", and that to me is amazing, plus it's smaller too. Bluetooth? That's less quality though than Wi-Fi, even LDAC is still not as good but closer at least to Wi-Fi. 

What is HP?

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #130 of 392
Whitigr, 

Yeah the ZX2 is very well-rated. I was just saying that my Companion One costs half as much, and is rated as having better sound than the ZX2. But it just depends on what you prefer, dedicated players or amp/DACs you can hook up to your phone (or even to a dedicated player I guess). 

Well they'll still make money from people buying those players if they can make the Wi-Fi sound EQUAL to a wired connection. I too believe we are getting closer and closer, but until we are there, I will stick with wired connections. 

I mean, I had the A17, and I thought it sounded great! Like I said to dc, it's rated as being better than the ZX1 "where it counts", and that to me is amazing, plus it's smaller too. Bluetooth? That's less quality though than Wi-Fi, even LDAC is still not as good but closer at least to Wi-Fi. 

What is HP?

HP is HeadPhones :wink:. Anyways, I have been trying to find a good headphones portable tube amp....so far only CDM from AloAudio....expensive, and I don't need the DAC function. Wonder if there are any other goods one

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #131 of 392
Whitigir, 

Oh ok. Cool. 

Before I bought my Walkman A17 and now CO, I used to just connect my phone to my headphones using JUST an amp.........the FiiO E11k (now known as the FiiO A3). I would highly recommend it if you want a really great amp. It sounds good, looks really nice (like a liquor bottle lol), a long-lasting battery, and it's very well-designed & durable too (body is metal). I loved it, but only returned it b/c when I got my Sony MDR-1A headphones, I no longer needed an amp. (Of course now I have an amp/DAC in the CO, but I bought it mainly for the DAC.)

I had the FiiO E6 amp before that, which was cheaper, but I felt the E11k was superior to it and was only $30 more. But it was still a very good amp....... the E11k was just a little better. 

Hope that helps. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #134 of 392

Very cool!!! Ok I guess I love these headphones again! lol Although I'd still like Wi-Fi ones better, but anything that improves upon standard Bluetooth is great!!

The way I understand it, DSEE is an algorithm that only works on compressed recordings, so whether it's explicitly turned off or not makes no difference, since it should have no effect on FLAC sources, even without LDAC.

I could be slightly wrong, for example if DSEE tries to 'upconvert' Redbook FLAC to hi-res.  However, this still wouldn't apply to LDAC when used with hi-res sources.

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #135 of 392
Sony has 3 kind of upsampling/upconverting
DSEE => up to CD format (16/44.1)
DSEE HX => up to 24/96 or 24/192 (depends of devices)
DSD Remastering Engine => up to DSD

So, that's why DSEE is not used when 1ABT gets LDAC stream

Users who are viewing this thread

Back