Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
Aug 18, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #108 of 392
Sonyvores, 

A Sony customer service rep told me that. lol He clearly was clueless about it all. 

Wait, so LDAC being utilized by the player DISABLES DSEE?? That's awesome! F DSEE! lol 

Yeah Whitigir, that is stupid. But if what Sonyvores says is true, it won't matter anyway when using the A17, which thanks to the most recent update (from April), now has LDAC-capability! 
gs1000.gif

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #109 of 392
RockStar2005
Unfortunately customer service people can't be expert on all products except a few who are really geeks and into it. But for some people it s just a regular job and those are doing their best to try to help you.... Well in this case, it was missleading lol

Well if you have some wonders, just post those in here. I'll try my best to answer/look for answer :)

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #110 of 392
RockStar2005
Unfortunately customer service people can't be expert on all products except a few who are really geeks and into it. But for some people it s just a regular job and those are doing their best to try to help you.... Well in this case, it was missleading lol

Well if you have some wonders, just post those in here. I'll try my best to answer/look for answer :)

You know ? One day I may just buy MDR-1R and A-17 to hack them up and smash them together and has a nice Touché combination of LDAC and Highresolution Bluetooth :D

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #112 of 392
Better to pick a MDR-1A then :wink:

Lol I went with Z7. Now, since you are with Sony, can you please dig into the ZX2 volume Cap ? I hear members that use Euro ZX2 saying that it can not power MDR-Z7 loud enough, while mine is Japan version and it blows ears with Z7 :D.

Also can you please confirm if ZX2 is fully capable of driving Z7 to it potential ? I know mine does, I can feel the pressures from as low as 10hz, and started hearing sounds from 16hz....as my years of experiences, such combinations if not powerful enough, the bass would suffer the worse, then the thinner highs and mids. But it is not here with Z7. It is just smooth, fluid, and jaw dropping quality.

I feel if Sony does not disclose a way to temporarily disable the Sound Cap, and or the compatibility from Zx2 + Z7, it will affect their sales. Almost no one would Blind purchase like I do.....I was Sony Walkman lover back in the 90th....and when Sony finally seriously come back to the game, I just gave them the chance :D

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #114 of 392
dcfac, 

The Sony Walkman A17 was released in October of 2014, as was the Sony Xperia Z3 (actually Z3 was September, but didn't reach the States until late October. I should know, I got it THE DAY it came out from T-Mobile lol). I know for a FACT that the most recent update from this past Spring for the A17 includes LDAC capability, so that's for sure. I have the Z3, and as of yet, I have not seen anything to indicate that it will get LDAC, but that doesn't mean it won't for sure. I'm not holding my breath though. lol I had the A17 Walkman which was just great, but then I decided that for me, having one device was more practical than 2. I may change my mind again, but prob not for a long time. After much research, I now pair my Z3 with the highly revered Celsus Sound Companion One amp/DAC, which comes with Wi-Fi (not lower quality Bluetooth) streaming. It cost $595, but it's actually rated as having BETTER sound quality than amp/DACs or amp/DAC players TWICE its price, including the Oppo HA-1 and the $1200 Sony Walkman NW-ZX2 (which is now $989).  

The ZX1 Walkman was released in December of 2013, so it MIGHT get the LDAC update, but I would say it's less likely since it came out in 2013. If you really want LDAC though, my advice would be to sell your ZX1 and just buy the $300 Sony Walkman A17. I've actually seen at least one review (scroll down to bottom chart) that rated it better "where it counts" than the ZX1, though that's just my interpretation. Then you could save some money and also pair the A17 Walkman with the 1ABTs, and let us all know here how it sounds vs other Bluetooth headphones perhaps. (Please read my last post for an update on the 1ABTs.)

I wrote to Sony customer service and they said that there are no current plans to include Ldac on the zx1. Cant really be sure the customer service rep really knows for sure though.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #119 of 392
dcfac, 

The Sony Walkman A17 was released in October of 2014, as was the Sony Xperia Z3 (actually Z3 was September, but didn't reach the States until late October. I should know, I got it THE DAY it came out from T-Mobile lol). I know for a FACT that the most recent update from this past Spring for the A17 includes LDAC capability, so that's for sure. I have the Z3, and as of yet, I have not seen anything to indicate that it will get LDAC, but that doesn't mean it won't for sure. I'm not holding my breath though. lol I had the A17 Walkman which was just great, but then I decided that for me, having one device was more practical than 2. I may change my mind again, but prob not for a long time. After much research, I now pair my Z3 with the highly revered Celsus Sound Companion One amp/DAC, which comes with Wi-Fi (not lower quality Bluetooth) streaming. It cost $595, but it's actually rated as having BETTER sound quality than amp/DACs or amp/DAC players TWICE its price, including the Oppo HA-1 and the $1200 Sony Walkman NW-ZX2 (which is now $989).  

The ZX1 Walkman was released in December of 2013, so it MIGHT get the LDAC update, but I would say it's less likely since it came out in 2013. If you really want LDAC though, my advice would be to sell your ZX1 and just buy the $300 Sony Walkman A17. I've actually seen at least one review (scroll down to bottom chart) that rated it better "where it counts" than the ZX1, though that's just my interpretation. Then you could save some money and also pair the A17 Walkman with the 1ABTs, and let us all know here how it sounds vs other Bluetooth headphones perhaps. (Please read my last post for an update on the 1ABTs.)

That Celsius one amp/DAC looks sweet but I want wireless when out and about. I don't know of any headphones which support AirPlay wireless.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #120 of 392
dc, 

Yeah it's a software upgrade, not really hardware. My A17 didn't have it out of the box, but after the update was installed on it, it did. 

Just get the A17 Walkman, make sure to install the update on it, get the 1ABTs (in black or silver), and never look back! lol (Better deal for black version here, but hurry. Only 3 left!!) You can use Sony PC Companion to do the updates, or if not, use Media Go as a backup. Or try doing it manually via PC first, but not 100% sure if you can. 

Note: MAKE SURE the Walkman has no music on it when updating, so update first, then put the songs on there. Future updates mean you must remove the songs then update then put them back on. I know, but they say to do that if you read the update instructions. I didn't initially and had issues later on.

And remember, post here so we all know how LDAC sounded using a player AND a pair of headphones that have it built-in. Make sure to activate the best LDAC option available (I think it's labeled "LDAC Sound Quality" or "LDAC Strongest Sound" etc) in the Bluetooth settings of the A17. Just having LDAC on the headphones is enough to make a difference, per this 1ABT review

Excerpt from that review: 

However—and this is the case for all wireless headphones—streaming audio wirelessly means you’ll inevitably suffer a loss in quality. While this is mitigated by LDAC, you’ll need to have it in both the output and the input to experience the full benefits. That means using other Sony branded products like its stereo systems or their new Walkman to listen to your music. Otherwise it won’t sound as full or detailed as it was intended to. But, when I listened through my non-Sony phone and MacBook Air computer, I was able to discern a higher quality using wireless then when I used the Momentum Wireless headphones. Just don’t count on that always being the case.

Fact: The Momentums cost $100 than the 1ABTs. lol 

Keep us posted on what you do! 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back