Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
Aug 26, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #138 of 392
Can you ring my bell please? Hehe
Sorry REALLY busy right now with pre-IFA stuff.

Please, post up everything with IFA. Thank you.

I would like to know NW-ZX2 Japan version real power output, and what is the volume cap in Euro version ? I currently connect straight NW-ZX2 to MDR-Z7 and I hear quality music. I wonder if NW-ZX2 has enough power to drive MDR-Z7 straight ? I am using TRRS connection as well. Do I need an amp ?

Thank you.

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #139 of 392
Sony has 3 kind of upsampling/upconverting
DSEE => up to CD format (16/44.1)
DSEE HX => up to 24/96 or 24/192 (depends of devices)
DSD Remastering Engine => up to DSD

So, that's why DSEE is not used when 1ABT gets LDAC stream

Thanks for explaining this clearly.  This also confirms what I suspected, i.e. why DSEE wouldn't have any effect on Redbook FLACs or higher.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #141 of 392
That also confirmed that in ZX2 DSEE HX actually does up convert CD quality to near high-resolution!! Excellent.

In my experience upconversion is overrated.  

I have had an interesting experience using a high-end video processing [COLOR=545454]HQV chip-set in my flagship Yamaha A[/COLOR]ventage [COLOR=545454]receiver (it should be better than those used in most upconverting TVs) that lets you convert SD (480p/567i) and HD (720p/1080i) to FHD (1080p) video and even allows to manually adjust a number of parameters.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=545454]I didn't buy the receiver for that specific feature, but was quite excited about the prospect of watching broadcast TV in full hi-def on my 65" Panasonic plasma (can you see the parallel yet?).  Well, after spending hours tweaking the video processing chip settings I ended up turning it off and never turned it back on again.  The reason?  No matter what I tried the results ended up looking unnatural and artificial / processed when doing ABX with the original image.  When I only did slight tweaks, they looked less processed but I still preferred the unprocessed signal.[/COLOR]

My conclusion is this: you can't 'magically' make a lower-res source look or sound like something that was captured and mastered in hi-res.

I could be wrong, and perhaps upconversion is much easier achieved with audio than with video (although the 1ABT don't have a dedicated chip-set for this unlike my receiver), but until somebody does ABX tests with DSEE or similar algorithms, I will remain sceptical. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #142 of 392
Please, post up everything with IFA. Thank you.

I would like to know NW-ZX2 Japan version real power output, and what is the volume cap in Euro version ? I currently connect straight NW-ZX2 to MDR-Z7 and I hear quality music. I wonder if NW-ZX2 has enough power to drive MDR-Z7 straight ? I am using TRRS connection as well. Do I need an amp ?

Thank you.

For the ouput Japan said "no comment" lol
For volume cap, I have tested the Jap vs Euro vs internal sample demo. All the same except that Euro has automatic warning and lower level after an amount of time
For Z7, you can but it will be limited with ZX2 only. I personnaly think that it was designed to work as a set with PHA-3 in engeneers' mind because the Z7 sounds really different (and better) with balance cables via PHA-3. But in music, if you are enjoying what you have it's all that matters. Dont bother wasting your time having wonders. Just sit and listen hehe :)

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #143 of 392
For the ouput Japan said "no comment" lol
For volume cap, I have tested the Jap vs Euro vs internal sample demo. All the same except that Euro has automatic warning and lower level after an amount of time
For Z7, you can but it will be limited with ZX2 only. I personnaly think that it was designed to work as a set with PHA-3 in engeneers' mind because the Z7 sounds really different (and better) with balance cables via PHA-3. But in music, if you are enjoying what you have it's all that matters. Dont bother wasting your time having wonders. Just sit and listen hehe :)

Thank you ! :D

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #148 of 392
I'm looking for better sound quality and a slightly less bulky form factor. Why do you find it's a worthy upgrade?

Better sound quality is subjective.  I have the MK2 and I have't heard the 1RBT, but people who have believe the MK2 is a superior headphone, and addresses some of the issues that the original in the bass department, although still lacks the sub-bass.

To me, however, the addition of AptX in the MK2 alone was worth the price of admission.  I can't say that I hear the difference between Redbook and Hi-Res (providing a well-mastered source for both), but I can certainly hear the difference between Redbook via SBC vs AptX.

Moving up to the 1ABT, you get long lost sub-bass as well as improved overall definition in the low-end, and better overall clarity across the frequency range.  However, this comes at the expense somewhat subdued / smoothed out highs (although not to an unpleasant effect) and dipped upper-mids, which may make certain vocals sound a little hollow.  Some have also said that the 1ABT are two bassy while others feel that the bass it's just right.

I'll let someone who owns the 1ABT either elaborate or contradict, but my point is that the answer to your question depends on what you like / dislike about your 1RBT as well as the styles of music your listen to and preferences for particular signatures. 

As for the form factor, I think it's very similar to the 1RBT.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - you're probably already aware that 1ABT is the only headphone with LDAC you can buy today.  The verdict is still out whether it makes a discernible difference, but if you're considering getting a Sony DAP or their new phone (announced this week), this should definitely be a consideration.

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #149 of 392
Sound quality is subjective once you reach the point of maximized details played back on any system or headphones that can produce it. For example a song has 7 instruments playing in it. A system with the ability to be playing all of these very clear and detailed with the ability to be tuned differently...it would sound different under different artists and or the tuner. Some people love it boomer, some love it faster, brighter, more natural...etc...etc,

There is no such thing as perfect sound.....even when listen to raw live performances without any gadgets :D. What are you seeking for ? That would be the question

1ABT is very lightweight and of good quality, long hours play back, and regardless of LdAC, it is a very good quality for the price/quality ratios. Wireless is not at the level of wired sonic quality just yet.

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #150 of 392
Better sound quality is subjective.  I have the MK2 and I have't heard the 1RBT, but people who have believe the MK2 is a superior headphone, and addresses some of the issues that the original in the bass department, although still lacks the sub-bass.

To me, however, the addition of AptX in the MK2 alone was worth the price of admission.  I can't say that I hear the difference between Redbook and Hi-Res (providing a well-mastered source for both), but I can certainly hear the difference between Redbook via SBC vs AptX.

Moving up to the 1ABT, you get long lost sub-bass as well as improved overall definition in the low-end, and better overall clarity across the frequency range.  However, this comes at the expense somewhat subdued / smoothed out highs (although not to an unpleasant effect) and dipped upper-mids, which may make certain vocals sound a little hollow.  Some have also said that the 1ABT are two bassy while others feel that the bass it's just right.

I'll let someone who owns the 1ABT either elaborate or contradict, but my point is that the answer to your question depends on what you like / dislike about your 1RBT as well as the styles of music your listen to and preferences for particular signatures. 

As for the form factor, I think it's very similar to the 1RBT.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - you're probably already aware that 1ABT is the only headphone with LDAC you can buy today.  The verdict is still out whether it makes a discernible difference, but if you're considering getting a Sony DAP or their new phone (announced this week), this should definitely be a consideration.

Thanks for the advice. My taste is toward a warmer bassier sound at the moment. I'm actually quite happy with my 1rbt. I might wait a while for the prices to drop on the 1abt. The only problem I have with the rbt is it's a little bulky on the head, which kinda defeats the purpose of listening cablelessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back