Sony MDR-ZX700, NEW! ZX Series Studio Monitor Unboxing Video
Apr 29, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #16 of 30
DJamtrax, would appreciate a comparison between the zx700 and zx1000. I'm liking my Z1000, just unsure whether it was worth the significant amount more than the equally good ZX700.
Looking at the portable shootout thread it looks like we made a good call... Still tempted to pick up a ZX700 later today though :)

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 30
Fail. DJ, unboxing videos are great for people seeking tutorials on how to correctly open and unbox a product. However, this is Head-Fi.org--we're more concerned with qualitative differences of various headphones than with how to open a box. 

Not meant to be a tutorial, just information on what you get if you were to spend YOUR hard earned money.

I know I am tardy with my impressions on these. I am sorry. The Ultrasone Pro 900 vs. XB1000 cut in line. I hope to get my notes posted ASAP. Unfortunety I have a day job to help pay for all the headphones. :)

Apr 30, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #18 of 30
[/quote]Looking at the portable shootout thread it looks like we made a good call... Still tempted to pick up a ZX700 later today though :)[/quote]

Oh please do. :D

I'm somewhat surprised by how cheap these are, I'm just a bit sceptical though that the Z1000 are That much better when we take into account the disparity in pricing, :)

Notwithstanding, I find these to be the most reference portable headphone. Love the mids, the general consensus with the soundstage I would have to agree to an extent however, for casual listening these are superb.

Isolation could be better but it's adequate. Just have to reiterate to emphasise the craftsmanship, absolutely phenomenal.

Apr 30, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #19 of 30
Yes, I agree, there is a huge disparity which - if I can get hold of the ZX700 will prove one of two things...

Either that the ZX700 will have absolutely killer value - be the new FOTM, and a giant killer, and that the Z1000 is overpriced by 400%, or - that the Z1000 above the ZX700 is at such a level that it warrants its price...

Knowing how a chunk of the £150-£250 portables sound, I think it will end up being the latter - if it is the former, then all other manufacturers that put their products in the above price range had better watch out, as there is about to be a new king in town :D

Apr 30, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #20 of 30
Perhaps greater value than even the M50's, I actually think Sony will rectify the RRP of the ZX700 because here in the UK at least it's selling brand new for dirt cheap! :p

Duncan, what's your thoughts on the Sony NWZ-X1060? I'm currently looking for another source because apple are soo stingy with the mere 32 gigs max on the iPhone 4. :mad:

Apr 30, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #21 of 30
rovex...

That is probably a discussion for a different thread, however - I will say two things...  One, the X series players will (and... do) match perfectly [to my ears] with the Z1000 (and, to keep this thread on track, presumably also the ZX700!), but two - they X only comes with a maximum of 32GB, costs a lot, and is VERY slow when transferring your music / playlists...

Apr 30, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #22 of 30
rovex...

That is probably a discussion for a different thread, however - I will say two things...  One, the X series players will (and... do) match perfectly [to my ears] with the Z1000 (and, to keep this thread on track, presumably also the ZX700!), but two - they X only comes with a maximum of 32GB, costs a lot, and is VERY slow when transferring your music / playlists...

Cheers, until apple either up the iPhone to 64GB or remove the scratch loving iPod touch back I won't consider either. That being said, i'm convinced there will be a new x series Walkman in 2012 since the current X1060 has been out since 09. Just have to play the waiting game!

Back on topic, DJ, have you owned the D1100's? If so, would you say the zx700 is a better buy? I have the Denon's but incredibly tempted to shift it and get the little brother of my Z1000's.

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #23 of 30
Final thoughts on the ZX700 is up.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/551886/final-thoughts-the-new-sony-mdr-zx700-vs-the-legendary-sony-mdr-v6

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #24 of 30
Just bit the bullet and bought these, they only cost me £56, a bargain perhaps? Can't wait to find out what they're liking, I've been searching for ages for a can that's neither to bass heavy nor too harsh up high without costing me a fortune! 

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #25 of 30
That's a good deal.  Please let us know your thoughts on them.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #26 of 30
I will do, I'm hoping to post a comparison to the XB700 and the Bose AE2 (I saw a thread asking for advicce) and hopefully, if my friend can bear to part with them for a few days, a comparison with the M50s. But so far I agree with what everybody has said, if the ZX700 is as good as people claim it is then I've just snagged an absolute bargain and even at amazon's normal price in the UK (£65), they're a steal. Anybody got any thoughts on how they sound from an E7? I'm considering running them unamped but I do occasionally like a bit of bass so I'd like to have the option to increase it when I'm not listening to my wonderful new jazz cds!! Oh and thanks for the unboxing vid, some may not like them but I think they're an excellent way of knowing what you get, what the headphone actually looks like away from a photoshoot. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #27 of 30
These just arrived a couple of hours ago so I can't say anything conclusive yet but so far I'm loving them! I've been wearing them for an hour now (with glasses on) and had no problems with fit or comfort, the cans are starting to heat up a tad though, that could be due to me being in quite a hot room. I find myself preferring my HD598s for most tracks so far but it's a close call on many and for the money I don't think I could have found a better buy! Admittedly there is a slight lack of bass but not to the extent that some people have been claiming. The ZX700s still produce a noticeable and 'thump' when necessary. Definitely far more controlled than the XB line, but that's to be expected. May post more thoughts when I've allowed a chance for some burn-in and a comparison to the M50s. They could very realistically be the new FOTM though. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #28 of 30
the hd598 is a different enjoyment.

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #30 of 30
The ZX700 is a solid buy for anyone IMO. Easy to listen to and easy on the pocket book. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back