Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Sep 5, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #2,401 of 2,440
WM1AM2+ MDR Z7M2 FOR SURE!!!!!
Finally I have the Z7M2 and I am fascinated with its sound, WM1AM2 and WM1A combo, and as an extra comment I listen to pure rock and metal.

Oct 7, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #2,403 of 2,440
Here enjoying my wm1am2 and the z7m2, I love this combination

Attachments

• dddd.jpg
    dddd.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 7, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #2,404 of 2,440
Nice, I'm really liking my ZX707 and the Z7M2. It's odd, because I think the 707 and the Z7 have similar overall sound signatures, with emphasized low-end plus a bit of treble sparkle, so I'd have thought that together they'd become too bassy, but they actually complement each other well. It's like the Z7's sound qualities get turned up to 11 by the 707.

Oct 7, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #2,405 of 2,440
I am curious, but what replacement pads/aftermarket pads have members successfully used with the Z7M2? I have searched for aftermarket pads and there are a few on Amazon and some on eBay but I'm not fully convinced they are good quality.

I'm hoping that Dekoni eventually makes a set for the Z7M2, but I had reached out to them in the past inquiring and they never provided an explicit answer (just that the MDR-Z1R pads will not fit).

Oct 7, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #2,406 of 2,440
I am curious, but what replacement pads/aftermarket pads have members successfully used with the Z7M2? I have searched for aftermarket pads and there are a few on Amazon and some on eBay but I'm not fully convinced they are good quality.

I'm hoping that Dekoni eventually makes a set for the Z7M2, but I had reached out to them in the past inquiring and they never provided an explicit answer (just that the MDR-Z1R pads will not fit).
I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PBJHCHZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're a huge pain to mount onto the rings used to attach them to the earcups, but other than that they work fine.

Oct 22, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #2,407 of 2,440
I have been eyeing the Z7M2 for a while. I have the Denon D7200 (with Woo Audio WA6 + Cambridge Dacmagic) and the portable Sony WH-1000XM3. For a lot of different music genres/recordings I actually enjoy the 1000XM3 more than the D7200. Certain details I hear in the midrange with the 1000XM3 doesn't come out as loud with the D7200 (recessed mids). And the treble is so harsh on the D7200.

So my question is: how is the Z7M2 compared to the D7200 when it comes to treble and mids? I'm hoping they are somewhat similar to the 1000XM3s, just with overall better quality of course. And I like the classic black appearance of the Z7M2. Looks like 1000XM3s older brother.
They are not for sale in any shops in my country (Norway) so I can't really audition them. Think I will order from Woo Audio if I decide to buy them.

Oct 22, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #2,408 of 2,440
I have been eyeing the Z7M2 for a while. I have the Denon D7200 (with Woo Audio WA6 + Cambridge Dacmagic) and the portable Sony WH-1000XM3. For a lot of different music genres/recordings I actually enjoy the 1000XM3 more than the D7200. Certain details I hear in the midrange with the 1000XM3 doesn't come out as loud with the D7200 (recessed mids). And the treble is so harsh on the D7200.

So my question is: how is the Z7M2 compared to the D7200 when it comes to treble and mids? I'm hoping they are somewhat similar to the 1000XM3s, just with overall better quality of course. And I like the classic black appearance of the Z7M2. Looks like 1000XM3s older brother.
They are not for sale in any shops in my country (Norway) so I can't really audition them. Think I will order from Woo Audio if I decide to buy them.
I had the z7m2 and have the d7200s, I would describe the d7200s as a midcentric headphone.

D7200.jpg

Depends on your preference but I think they're both good headphones.

The z7m2 is a warmer, richer sound, typical sony house tuning, big sub bass, a bit unrefined, bleeds into mids, recessed mids, a tad on the brightside, lacks treble extension .

The d7200s are an unusually tuned headphone but I like it. Not as warm, midcentric, slightly recessed in the upper mids, good extension on both ends, much faster than the z7m2, also big sub bass but also a bit boomy. Its finer aspects are that it has great soundstage and imaging for a closedback, the z7m2 doesn't come close in this regard.

They're both bassy headphones but the presentation of the bass is very different. The d7200s hit with speed and impact, while the z7m2 hit with less impactful but more weighty, voluminous hit and its much slower.

Sony has it down with comfort, putting the z7m2 is like putting on a hat that you've worn a thousand times and is just as comfy. The d7200s require a headband for my fat head otherwise it will drill a hole into the top of my skull.

If you like the 1000XM3, the z7m2 is a better version of that.

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #2,409 of 2,440
I had the z7m2 and have the d7200s, I would describe the d7200s as a midcentric headphone.

D7200.jpg

Depends on your preference but I think they're both good headphones.

The z7m2 is a warmer, richer sound, typical sony house tuning, big sub bass, a bit unrefined, bleeds into mids, recessed mids, a tad on the brightside, lacks treble extension .

The d7200s are an unusually tuned headphone but I like it. Not as warm, midcentric, slightly recessed in the upper mids, good extension on both ends, much faster than the z7m2, also big sub bass but also a bit boomy. Its finer aspects are that it has great soundstage and imaging for a closedback, the z7m2 doesn't come close in this regard.

They're both bassy headphones but the presentation of the bass is very different. The d7200s hit with speed and impact, while the z7m2 hit with less impactful but more weighty, voluminous hit and its much slower.

Sony has it down with comfort, putting the z7m2 is like putting on a hat that you've worn a thousand times and is just as comfy. The d7200s require a headband for my fat head otherwise it will drill a hole into the top of my skull.

If you like the 1000XM3, the z7m2 is a better version of that.
Okey, so the mids on the D7200 might not be as recessed as I think. It's the treble that is so harsh for me that it won't allow high enough volumes for certain details to be loud enough like on the 1000XM3. I will consider the Z7M2 as something different and hopefully fun headphones in addition to the D7200.

I have recently been reading about band equalizers and going to try the preset for D7200 made by the reddit user oratory1990. Or at least lower the treble and maybe the bass. Will check out "eqMac" or "SoundSource" to be able to use the AUNBandEQ module on Mac.

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #2,410 of 2,440
Okey, so the mids on the D7200 might not be as recessed as I think. It's the treble that is so harsh for me that it won't allow high enough volumes for certain details to be loud enough like on the 1000XM3. I will consider the Z7M2 as something different and hopefully fun headphones in addition to the D7200.

I have recently been reading about band equalizers and going to try the preset for D7200 made by the reddit user oratory1990. Or at least lower the treble and maybe the bass. Will check out "eqMac" or "SoundSource" to be able to use the AUNBandEQ module on Mac.
You might be sensitive to certain treble frequencies. For me, the d7200s are ok but I'm the same with sibilance, very sensitive to it.

Its possible to mitigate the higher frequencies with fo.q tape unfortunately, they discontinued this product. I've come to notice that sound resonating off plastic has a certain characteristic that I'm able to recognize.

It was like that with my focal clears, I couldn't stand the treble peak which a few small pieces of the fo.q tape was able to neutralize to a point where it was comfortable for me.

I recommend that you demo the z7m2 before purchasing because imo its brighter than the d7200s.

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #2,411 of 2,440
You might be sensitive to certain treble frequencies. For me, the d7200s are ok but I'm the same with sibilance, very sensitive to it.

Its possible to mitigate the higher frequencies with fo.q tape unfortunately, they discontinued this product. I've come to notice that sound resonating off plastic has a certain characteristic that I'm able to recognize.

It was like that with my focal clears, I couldn't stand the treble peak which a few small pieces of the fo.q tape was able to neutralize to a point where it was comfortable for me.

I recommend that you demo the z7m2 before purchasing because imo its brighter than the d7200s.
If available, EQ makes a big difference with the z7m2.

Nov 13, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #2,412 of 2,440
I've bought an used set of these to use with me zx707. Hopefully it will be a nice sounding combo

Nov 30, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #2,414 of 2,440
Had the opportunity to compare my tape-modded, aftermarket-earpad Z7M2 with a stock Z7M2 at TSAV last week. The bass on my modded pair is more controlled for sure, which makes sense given the added damping material inside. The stock earpads are far more comfortable and I think the midrange and treble are a bit less grainy on them. Comfort is the big thing though; I got cheap ones on Amazon since I bought my Z7 used and it didn't have the stock earpads. These replacements aren't as soft and plush as the stock pads and they have odd pressure points around them. The original earpads are only available from a Sony parts dealer, and they're crazy expensive in comparison, though less expensive than when I checked earlier this year. They need to be ordered separately for left and right, and they're $55.xx each, so $111 for a replacement pair. Not sure if I should buy the replacement earpads, or just upgrade to the Z1R (which I also heard and enjoyed at the store). Or maybe both...

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:11 AM Post #2,415 of 2,440
Not sure if I should buy the replacement earpads, or just upgrade to the Z1R (which I also heard and enjoyed at the store). Or maybe both...
I did both lol!

The official replacement earpads came in today. Getting them onto the Z7M2 was a huge pain. Unfortunately, I had to undo parts of the tape mod to get the earpads to fit onto the headphone. The stock earpads seem to have a thicker lip than the Defean pads I bought on Amazon, so the tape pieces attached to the space around the driver made it impossible to get the earpad to latch onto the earcup. I could twist the earcup on part way, but then even a light tug would make the earpad detach entirely. Only by removing all of the tape around the earcup face could I actually attach the stock earpads to the earcup.

Oh well, the bass seems a little bit looser, but that might also be the earpads themselves. The stock earpads are significantly more comfortable than the Defean pads, with a softer internal foam and a sculpted shape that doesn't place weird pressure hotspots on my cheekbones and behind my ears. There's also more clarity on the stock earpads and less of that grain or haze. It's actually more like a mini-Z1R now, but with a more neutral midrange, less - but tighter - bass, and less pronounced spatial separation.

I had been wondering if I should keep the Z7M2 around since I now have the Z1R. For the time being, I'll see how it works as my transportable headphone. The Z1R is just too big to be transported outside the house and I go on business trips (no flying involved) roughly once a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back