Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
May 24, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #2,371 of 2,440
Hi, I purchased the z7m2 a few months ago and I'm very happy with them, sounding great through the Fiio k7.
I enjoy the stock sound with just some EQ, but after reading about the mods cdacosta made and detailed in page 136, I wanted to give it a try to the damping mods.. the problem is, it seems fo.q TA102 and TA52/32 are out of stock everywhere and I even read somewhere else that it is discontinued :/
Can anyone reccommend a similar product that I could use for the same purpose?

Also for those who replaced the stock cable, what kind of improvements do you notice in the sound?
I do not know of a replacement for the fo.Q. I highly suggest you just keep an eye out on eBay and Amazon, someone could sell what they have. You could also try Tweakers Asylum, someone may not be using what they have and be willing to part with it. https://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/bbs.html

The mods make a huge difference, transforms the headphone, especially if you EQ. Unfortunately the fo.Q makes a big portion of the mod. Good luck in your hunt for the fo.Q.

May 24, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #2,372 of 2,440
May 25, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #2,374 of 2,440
i am also the owner of Z7M2 whole set and in addition got Kimber Cable MUC B12BL1.I am stunt how different sounds Kimber and stock cables!!!!!! Too me i find Kimber cable to much in the face almoast annoying when using this.How come these cables are so expencive???? I prefere to use stock cable than Kimber for sure but still going to keep Kimber becouse i got it almoast for free.Can you share more opinion on kimber cable you are using.please write what type of kimber you have and why it is so different than z7m2 stock cables included in the box from factory?

May 25, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #2,375 of 2,440
i am also the owner of Z7M2 whole set and in addition got Kimber Cable MUC B12BL1.I am stunt how different sounds Kimber and stock cables!!!!!! Too me i find Kimber cable to much in the face almoast annoying when using this.How come these cables are so expencive???? I prefere to use stock cable than Kimber for sure but still going to keep Kimber becouse i got it almoast for free.Can you share more opinion on kimber cable you are using.please write what type of kimber you have and why it is so different than z7m2 stock cables included in the box from factory?
20230525_203541.jpg

May 25, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #2,376 of 2,440
I don't actually own the Z7M2, I have the Z1R and owned the original Z7. I was considering the Z7M2, so still get updates from this thread.
I purchased a secondhand Sony Kimber cable (4.4mm) before I owned any Sony headphones, I found a very low price locally so I upgraded from a stock cable on my Denon headphones (dual 3.5mm) I had at the time. I always used the Kimber cable without ever trying the stock cables on my Z7 and Z1R, so can't comment.
Anything with the Sony name on it is going to add to the price, but the Kimber cable sourced from Kimber is a quality cable.
I was interested to try silver and this cable maker seems to get positive feedback.

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #2,377 of 2,440
cdacosta and dougms3 thanks for your replies!
I was able to find ta-102 and ta-52 on stock listed on eBay the other day, but unforntunately seller wasn't willing to ship it to where I live so that sucks.
Seller is playstereo_audio_shop in case it's helpful to you, I think ta-102 is out of stock now but ta-52 seems to be available

I'll keep an eye for new listings, but for now it seems the cable upgrade and earpads replacement are my best options to tweak the sound on the Z7M2 at least a little bit, I will post my thoughts on that when it's done :)

May 29, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #2,378 of 2,440
cdacosta and dougms3 thanks for your replies!
I was able to find ta-102 and ta-52 on stock listed on eBay the other day, but unforntunately seller wasn't willing to ship it to where I live so that sucks.
Seller is playstereo_audio_shop in case it's helpful to you, I think ta-102 is out of stock now but ta-52 seems to be available

I'll keep an eye for new listings, but for now it seems the cable upgrade and earpads replacement are my best options to tweak the sound on the Z7M2 at least a little bit, I will post my thoughts on that when it's done :)
Thanks for the heads up. I just looked and was ready to purchase but do not see the listing. Nothing on eBay.

May 29, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #2,379 of 2,440
Thanks for the heads up. I just looked and was ready to purchase but do not see the listing. Nothing on eBay.
I think it could be hidden bc they don't have a shipping option for your location either then :/ but you can try the direct link to the eBay listing here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1555522261...55-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

or their website shop with all the fo.q stuff, even ta-102: https://www.playstereo.com/en/40-altri-antivibrazioni#, I hope it works for you, let me know

May 29, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #2,380 of 2,440
I think it could be hidden bc they don't have a shipping option for your location either then :/ but you can try the direct link to the eBay listing here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1555522261...55-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

or their website shop with all the fo.q stuff, even ta-102: https://www.playstereo.com/en/40-altri-antivibrazioni#, I hope it works for you, let me know
TA-52 is the older discontinued years ago product. Still have tiny pieces laying around. I am in US, they may not ship to me. Thanks, for posting the availability though. Will keep an eye out.

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #2,381 of 2,440
Which one combines better with the daps WM1A and WM1AM2, the mdr Z7 or the MDR Z7M2

Jun 16, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #2,383 of 2,440
WM1AM2+ MDR Z7M2 FOR SURE!!!!!
Thank you, but for the comfort of being in the office I went for the ierm7, in a month I think I'll go now for the z7m2

Jun 18, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #2,385 of 2,440
Could I drive these with a ZX507 walkman?

Are there any other closed back headphones I should be considering for around $500 that have a wide soundstage and are natural sounding?
Technically yes but you'd probably be nearing the max limits of volume depending on how loud you like to listen to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back