Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Jul 18, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #2,387 of 2,440

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #2,389 of 2,440
Is it too difficult to find new earpads and install them? I want to buy this headphones, but i'm concerned about long term longevity.
It was probably around January of 2021 when I posted in this thread how to remove the pads and replacements. Looks like they are still being sold by the same seller, and the price went down. I no longer use the z7m2 cans but the replacement pads I like sonically better than the stock. Very comfortable pads. The ones you need are the 100mm sized ones. I like them so much more I purchased a second pair two months later.

To remove the pads, just remove one small phillips screw under the pad and twist the pad off. The pads can be removed from a thin frame. To replace pads just do the reverse.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251...437118027Q94qD&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

Aug 5, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #2,390 of 2,440
Is it too difficult to find new earpads and install them? I want to buy this headphones, but i'm concerned about long term longevity.
Its very easy to replace the pads. Just remove the one screw per side and twist.

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #2,391 of 2,440
Has anyone compared the mdr-z7m2 and m1570c?
I’ve never directly compares them but I do have both and the first thing that comes to mind is that the Z7M2 are certainly lighter and more comfortable, that’s for sure. 😅

Aug 6, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #2,393 of 2,440
It was probably around January of 2021 when I posted in this thread how to remove the pads and replacements. Looks like they are still being sold by the same seller, and the price went down. I no longer use the z7m2 cans but the replacement pads I like sonically better than the stock. Very comfortable pads. The ones you need are the 100mm sized ones. I like them so much more I purchased a second pair two months later.

To remove the pads, just remove one small phillips screw under the pad and twist the pad off. The pads can be removed from a thin frame. To replace pads just do the reverse.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251...437118027Q94qD&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt
Thank you. I've found a video on YouTube on how to remove the screw on the first gen Z7, i suppose it works on the Z7M2 as well.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #2,394 of 2,440
Does anyone have any insight on how these headphones compare to other closed-backs in the same price bracket?
I have a pair of cascades which are $800 (should be around the price of a brand new z7m2 direct from sony). Both will be judged with the 3.5mm stock cables

Build: z7m2 feels more rugged, confident, better thought of (design wise) with little to no rattling.

Design: both are understated (which i love), z7m2 has a better finish while my cascades which i seldomly use, already has some paint chipping, headband quality is better on the z7m2 as well. Only pro i can give cascade is the more easily adopted connectors (z7m2 is nigh impossible to source if you want it to stay slick). Z7m2 has larger cups while cascades are very compact.

Pads: even though z7m2 came with pleather pads (cascades came with genuine lambskin pads) it wins in terms of longevity mainly because cascades have zero 3rd party suppliers (especially since cfa already stopped producing ALL 3 of the pads; stock, XL, and cloth). Z7m2 also has the better fit and feels like pillows on your head. Z7m2 also has better isolation but both will look comical when worn.

I want to give more details about both but ill cut it short and go directly to sound (which i know is what you're really after lol). Audio enthusiasts only want one thing and it's disgusting 🫣 🫣 🫣

Sound:
Treble: flat out z7m2 wins. Cascades are harsh on poorly recorded tracks. I'd say both have sufficient extension, but cascades are considerably more pronounced with a tendency to sound sibilant.

Mids: It's a toss-up for me as both needs some time to get used to. Mids on the cascades take a back seat due to the copious amount of midbass (everything sounds incredibly thick and there's quite a bit of bloom/bleed). Z7m2 on the other hand sounds dry with is a dip in the upper mids. If I'd choose one, it would be z7m2 mainly because it's less fatiguing.

Bass: To preface, so long as it is sufficiently textured, bass is the least of my concern and between the two it's a clear win for the z7m2. Cascades, as I've mentioned before, has copious amount of midbass and along with it bloom and bleed. On the plus side, it does give out the more satisfying slam but both I'd say gets quite deep (z7m2  may have the deeper reach but there's barely any complaints from me). Texture wise z7m2 wins as cascades tend to smooth things out too much.

Timbre: neither are particularly natural but z7m2 (again) edges out the competition because it barely adds any additional note thickness.

Soundstage, separation, imaging: I'll just clump all of them into one since there's only one clear winner here and it's unequivocally the z7m2's. Cascades sound bloaty and congested at times and as a result tech suffers (like a lot.... unfortunately...). While there were times, I was convinced I was at the venue listening to the z7m2's.

Ask me anything since i missed a lot of things while doing reviews for both of these products.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #2,396 of 2,440
Do you recommend the Z7M2 with the WM1A and WM1AM2 daps? I listen to pure metal and rock, I already have the M7.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #2,397 of 2,440
Just got my Z7M2. There is one thing I don't understand. Lots of YouTube reviewers say its mid is recessed. To my ears, they are kind of forward, quite a bit closer and transparent than my HD660S. But then they say HD6x0 series are mid forward. I don't think it takes a golden ear to hear the difference.

Aug 12, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #2,398 of 2,440
Just got my Z7M2. There is one thing I don't understand. Lots of YouTube reviewers say its mid is recessed. To my ears, they are kind of forward, quite a bit closer and transparent than my HD660S. But then they say HD6x0 series are mid forward. I don't think it takes a golden ear to hear the difference.
I think it's something to do with the midrange balance. The Z7M2 has more in the 3-5K range and less in the 1-2K range than something like Sennheisers or stuff tuned to Harman Over-Ear. There's more presence to parts like female vocals and strings due to emphasis in the higher harmonics, but less richness. If you're really indexing for midrange richness, you might think they're recessed, but the midrange is still present. It's not a recessed midrange in the same sense as an older Audeze where the entire midrange and lower treble are recessed.

Aug 12, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #2,399 of 2,440
I think it's something to do with the midrange balance. The Z7M2 has more in the 3-5K range and less in the 1-2K range than something like Sennheisers or stuff tuned to Harman Over-Ear. There's more presence to parts like female vocals and strings due to emphasis in the higher harmonics, but less richness. If you're really indexing for midrange richness, you might think they're recessed, but the midrange is still present. It's not a recessed midrange in the same sense as an older Audeze where the entire midrange and lower treble are recessed.
That makes sense.

Sep 5, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #2,400 of 2,440
Hi Z7m2 owners, someone here a while ago posted an EQ setting suggesting it brings the sound closer to the Z1Rs. I never tried it until now.
I hear more mids and tiny bit more bass, but it loses more stage!

I'd love to hear thoughts on the subject for those interesed, here are the settings:
PreAmp= -5db
• 70Hz | +2.00dB | Q: 4.70 (Bell)
• 100Hz | -1.00dB | Q: 2.30 (Bell)
• 210Hz | +2.10dB | Q: 1.70 (Bell)
• 750Hz | -1.00dB | Q: 5.90 (Bell)
• 1120Hz | +2.30dB | Q: 2.75 (Bell)
• 2827Hz | +6.20dB | Q: 7.00 (Bell)
• 3210Hz | -9.90dB | Q: 9.30 (Bell)
• 4280Hz | +5.60dB | Q: 2.90 (Bell)
• 5515Hz | -8.00dB | Q: 6.50 (Bell)
• 7460Hz | +4.30dB | Q: 13.00 (Bell)
• 8955Hz | -5.10dB | Q: 14.00 (Bell)