Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Jan 6, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #2,416 of 2,440
How do like the Z7M2 next to the Z1R?

Jan 6, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #2,417 of 2,440
How do like the Z7M2 next to the Z1R?
I briefly mentioned it in my previous post; the Z1R is a more distinctive headphone. More bass for sure, and the bass is looser (though the tighter bass on my Z7M2 might be due to the tape mod; the stock Z7M2 I heard at TSAV didn't have the same tightness), but the Z1R's looser/boomier bass works better with certain instruments, particularly orchestral bass drums. Bass drums aren't tight sounding, particularly in a concert hall, and the Z1R renders their power better than most headphones I've heard. The Z1R has a more recessed midrange compared to the Z7M2, with the Z7 sounding more "normal" in comparison. The midrange recession on the Z1R results in vocals generally sounding quite far away, behind the main set of instruments. This is a very good fit for orchestral works with a choir, since that spatial rendering matches the actual positioning of the choir and orchestra. However, at the same time certain vocals are rendered quite close to the listener, and this works very well for songs where there's a soloist standing in front and a choir in the back; the spatial depth layering between soloist and choir is more pronounced than on other headphones which can be very immersive. The Z7M2 hints at that sort of layering and spatial presentation, but it's noticeably reduced in size and separation compared to the Z1R.

Treble is curious because it depends on how much the Z1R's 10K peak bothers you. I can hear the peak, it sometimes makes cymbals sound overly sharp and can also produce this whistling sound when there's a lot of treble content, but I generally don't mind it too much. The Z1R thus sounds more detailed and crisper than the Z7M2 while still being easy listening overall, at least to me since the 10K peak doesn't bother me. I think that with the return of the stock earpads, my Z7M2 sounds a bit more like the Z1R; the 3rd party earpads gave it this grain across the mids and treble which reduced its detail vs the Z1R. I can see it being the mini-Z1R. It has bass, but not as much as the Z1R. It has some vocal distance, but not to the same degree as the Z1R and thus makes fewer tonal sacrifices. It has spatial presentation, but not to the same degree as the Z1R - sounds are layered on top of each other rather than being clearly separated in depth. It has less treble and less perceived detail vs the Z1R, but also has smoother treble overall. While the Z1R takes spatial qualities and bass power to the max, the Z7M2 dials those qualities back, which makes it more normal, but also potentially less objectionable if the Z1R's qualities (or the trade-offs they entail) don't agree with the listener.

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #2,419 of 2,440
Many thanks for sharing your impression again.

Jan 21, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #2,420 of 2,440
The last three days I have been tweaking the headphone setup I use with the MDR-Z7M2. As I was listening for changes to the tweaks I realized I can feel the headphone move while music was playing. I then touched the earcups, then the headphone cable connectors and the wire and noticed that there was a lot of vibration from the earcups all the way to the first few inches of the wire past the heat shrink on the headphone cable. It dawned on me that this vibration could cause crosstalk, basically bleeding between the two channels. And wouldn't the vibration cause smearing? If there is smearing how bad is it? So I experimented with the best vibration dampening material I know of and fortunately have some in the house fo.q T-102. Fo.q is a Japanese company that specializes in audio vibration control. Very popular with audiophiles and people that like to tweak or mod.

After several hours of experimenting I approximate that 95% of the vibration is gone, at any listenable volume level on any genre of music. The end result I can confidently say is the best headphones I have ever heard. They sound stunning once the vibration is addressed, they truly sound world class. I am a sports car guy. A good analogy is before the tweak I had a stock V8 Mustang GT, after tweak feels more like a refined Ferrari.

I used fo.q T102 on the outside of the headphones and a little bit of fo.q T-52 (T-52 is opaque in color and thinner, which is no longer sold, has been replaced with T-32 which is black) on the baffle under the earpads. Also used T-52 (as can be seen in the photo) wrapped around the headphone cable connectors. Where I applied the fo.q T-102 can be seen in the photo, On the outside of the headphone three places were dampened, 1) small piece on each side (left and right side) at the start of the headband, 2) no idea what this is called but the part that holds the earcup and attaches to the headband and 3) 3/8" diameter round piece at the center of the rear cup. I did try adding more to the rear cup area but not a larger circle because I was running out of the T-102. I did not find adding more to improve performance.

Here are the changes I hear after this tweaking: Everything! I will try to explain further...

* All sounds are clearer, easily discernable and separated. Before tweak they were more cluttered together. Detail retravel and accuracy improved dramatically. If detail retrieval was a 7 out of 10 before they are now a 8.8 - 9 with good recordings.

* Vocals more nuanced.

* Everything sounds more real, like it should. More obvious what is heard.

* Dynamics and decay of instruments improved drastically.

* Feels like levels of noise floor removed, I hear much deeper into the song, much more detail. For example when a solo singer is playing a acoustic guitar the reverberation, note decay and sometimes the nuance of the pick going over the string, sounds more like you are there at a live recording studio. I have experienced this first hand and this is what the experience is like.

* Everything (meaning genres of music) sounds more fun. I am listening to genres I do not even care for or listen to and it sounds good.

* Sound stage is a bit wider and can go out a bit further forward and around you. Before it was more of left to right soundstage, now there is more depth that can be almost 360 degrees. Sorry, hard to explain with words.

* HF is a little more extended but not harsh or aggressive.

* Midrange especially vocals are closer. More intimate.

* All bass is tighter, faster and more defined. Sub bass hits harder

* Way more musical, engaging and entertaining. Foot tapping and head bobbing kind of experience.

Takes a bit to get use to because now I can hear so much more information that is clear, coming from so many places that it can be overwhelming. I am really am enjoying these headphones now. Hopefully this helps someone else!

Chris
new to this thread but, as i have a used m2 on the way to me, i am already curious about modding.
is there a reason why that small circle of damping material could not be place inside the cup?

Jan 21, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #2,421 of 2,440
new to this thread but, as i have a used m2 on the way to me, i am already curious about modding.
is there a reason why that small circle of damping material could not be place inside the cup?
Unfortunately as of a few months ago the fo.Q dampening material is no longer manufactured.

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #2,422 of 2,440
Unfortunately as of a few months ago the fo.Q dampening material is no longer manufactured.
well i received the Sonys yesterday and i have today swapped out the stock pads for some JMaudio premium perforated sheepskin angled pads.
dont think i will be changing anything else for a while as i am very happy with what i am hearing.
these pads are only perforated on the inside, they also have a filter layer over the driver (unlike the stock pads) and are slightly deeper with larger opening.
to my ears the highs have been tamed a little, soundstage seems slightly wider and more airy now, not sure if bass has been affected at all.

for what i paid for these cans and pads i think i have got a bargain.

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #2,423 of 2,440
I cannot comment on MDR-Z7M2 vs Z1R, I have not heard the Z1R but would love to experience them. After sales tax the Z1R are about $1000 more, so I can understand your curiosity and concern because of the price difference.

As for the pads I can give you my experience. I went off of 2 or so different people (one being a Youtuber) that suggested the pads in the pics I provided. The pics are of my MDR-Z7M2 cans. These are Sheepskin (leather) 100mm diameter pads I purchased from AliExpress. I liked them enough that I just purchased another pair. 1st pair cost me like $22 shipped, 2nd pair $21 shipped. They fit over the stock rings the stock pads are mounted to. I did remove (cut out) the center dust cloth piece that is on each pad so they are like the originals. As you can see in the pic the Sheepskin pads are thicker (stock pad in the middle), and the Sheepskin pads change the angle a little with how your ear faces the driver. To my ears what these pads do is reduce the peak that is around 10Khz and tighten the bass a bit and adds a bit of definition to bass frequencies. I have read several people postulate that the extra depth of the Sheepskin pad gives the bass more distance (or time I cannot remember) to form. I do not know the reason, I just know what I hear. Here is a new link to the pads I purchased: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057605882.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6c144c4dsa9A4r

As a hobby I like to tinker, tweak and mod all my audio gear, just to see what can be improved on. Sony MDR-Z7M2 can perform extremely well if tweaked a bit. If you are interested on the topic see my posts within the last 10 pages (I think) of this thread starting with my first impressions. I basically did 4 things, 1) pad replacement, 2) filtered ear cups, 3) minimized vibration by about 95%, 4) EQ, and 5) replaced stock cable.
cutting out the dust cloth does make it a lot easier to get them piddling little screws back in place for sure.
i persevered and managed it with the dust cloth in place, but i did swear at it a little :beyersmile:

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #2,426 of 2,440
Does anyone have an idea of a ZMF earpad that would fit the Z7M2?
Depends on which zmf earpad.

The problem is the leather on the zmf pads are too thick and you won't be able to get the mounting ring back on if its too thick.

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #2,427 of 2,440
Depends on which zmf earpad.

The problem is the leather on the zmf pads are too thick and you won't be able to get the mounting ring back on if its too thick.
I guess I didn't have a particular ZMF earpad in mind -- mostly curious if there were any that have been proven to fit the Z7M2.

I haven't attempted to remove the pads, and I'm aware of the screw and the mounting ring that are present. I've searched for videos demonstrating the process and replacement earpads, but haven't had too much luck overall. I personally would rather try a ZMF (or Dekoni earpad if there was a model that would fit) rather than some no-name brand off eBay, Amazon or Aliexpress.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #2,428 of 2,440
"honest audiophile" actually recommends pads from aliexpress

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #2,429 of 2,440
"honest audiophile" actually recommends pads from aliexpress

I got a few sets from his recommendation and have been recommending them since when asked. Perform better than the factory originals. I used the factory ones for about a week, they are in the box with the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back