Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Dec 3, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #2,207 of 2,440
Interesting. Looks more durable. Does it feel or sound like thin plastic if you tap on it?
I think its thin, sounds hollow but feels pretty durable.

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #2,208 of 2,440
Fostex th900mk2 vs Sony z7mk2
The battle of bass

During a week I've testing a modded fostex (replacable cable and some damper material on the cup) vs mine Sony OEM.

Both headphones played via matrix i-mini 3 pro and xdsd gryphon.

Here they are mine impressions.

1. Build, Comfort.

Z7 probably is the best build and more comfortable headphone on my collection, the fostex is so far away on the quality of materials and assembly that Ive asked myself why it cost the double of money. The fostex is lighter, and the paintjob is amazing, but the rest is for the sony.

2. Let's talk about sound.

When someone talks about the power and quality of the fostex bass is not lying to you, but they are not telling all the true. Its a really special bass; the impact, the rumble u get on some songs is really impressive, its like giving a hug to a subwoofer meanwhile playing a max richer track. But it lacks on body and musicality by default. U can fix that with eq, giving some db on bass and midbass (the ifi xbass give them some body) but when u compare to z7, I will choose the bodyness and musicality of the z7 over the impact. The only music that sounds better on the fostex for me is the reggaeton.
The sony maybe got that distorsion on the bass, u need to damper them to give the texture and clarity u got on the fostex.

The absence of mids on the fostex, the exagerate V-shaped profile make them so special and unnatural that u have to be careful wich tracks are u gonna play with them.
The vocals on the sony are richier and more presents.

About highs, the fostex are clearly a winner, is incredible piercing, the sony are so much relaxed, not triying to be over-detailed (they are for sure) but maybe z7s are a little bit muddier, they are less agressive, more relaxed.

3. Technicalities & conclusion
When u read some reviews about fostex, I feel they exagerated about the stage... Yeah its big, but its much more plain than the sony, and not so much bigger than them.
The matrix got a really nice 3d scene, but the output impedance dont let me play the fostex correctly. Comparing both on them via the gryphon (lower output impedance) I always going to keep a relaxed headphone like the sony. Much more allrounder, natural, and it doesn't lose on the strong points of the fostex in the same way than the fostex loose vs the sony.

So, I'm asking myself if any closed back of focal could be the king of the hill, or I've already got it at home.
Sony z7mk2 is a demonstration that audio japanese know how to make music sound good without be agressive on the extremes frecuencies.
The fostex is really special, but I feel they are monitor for bass frecuencies, but I didnt find music to play with them.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20211217_191639-02.jpeg
    MVIMG_20211217_191639-02.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • MVIMG_20211217_191656-01.jpeg
    MVIMG_20211217_191656-01.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • MVIMG_20211217_191746-01.jpeg
    MVIMG_20211217_191746-01.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • MVIMG_20211217_191726-01.jpeg
    MVIMG_20211217_191726-01.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Dec 18, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #2,209 of 2,440
Fostex th900mk2 vs Sony z7mk2
The battle of bass

During a week I've testing a modded fostex (replacable cable and some damper material on the cup) vs mine Sony OEM.

Both headphones played via matrix i-mini 3 pro and xdsd gryphon.

Here they are mine impressions.

1. Build, Comfort.

Z7 probably is the best build and more comfortable headphone on my collection, the fostex is so far away on the quality of materials and assembly that Ive asked myself why it cost the double of money. The fostex is lighter, and the paintjob is amazing, but the rest is for the sony.

2. Let's talk about sound.

When someone talks about the power and quality of the fostex bass is not lying to you, but they are not telling all the true. Its a really special bass; the impact, the rumble u get on some songs is really impressive, its like giving a hug to a subwoofer meanwhile playing a max richer track. But it lacks on body and musicality by default. U can fix that with eq, giving some db on bass and midbass (the ifi xbass give them some body) but when u compare to z7, I will choose the bodyness and musicality of the z7 over the impact. The only music that sounds better on the fostex for me is the reggaeton.
The sony maybe got that distorsion on the bass, u need to damper them to give the texture and clarity u got on the fostex.

The absence of mids on the fostex, the exagerate V-shaped profile make them so special and unnatural that u have to be careful wich tracks are u gonna play with them.
The vocals on the sony are richier and more presents.

About highs, the fostex are clearly a winner, is incredible piercing, the sony are so much relaxed, not triying to be over-detailed (they are for sure) but maybe z7s are a little bit muddier, they are less agressive, more relaxed.

3. Technicalities & conclusion
When u read some reviews about fostex, I feel they exagerated about the stage... Yeah its big, but its much more plain than the sony, and not so much bigger than them.
The matrix got a really nice 3d scene, but the output impedance dont let me play the fostex correctly. Comparing both on them via the gryphon (lower output impedance) I always going to keep a relaxed headphone like the sony. Much more allrounder, natural, and it doesn't lose on the strong points of the fostex in the same way than the fostex loose vs the sony.

So, I'm asking myself if any closed back of focal could be the king of the hill, or I've already got it at home.
Sony z7mk2 is a demonstration that audio japanese know how to make music sound good without be agressive on the extremes frecuencies.
The fostex is really special, but I feel they are monitor for bass frecuencies, but I didnt find music to play with them.
The z7m2 responds really well to damping mods.

Check out page 136 for the mods by cdacosta.

It responds really well to fo.q tape dampening in certain spots.

Building on cdacosta's mods, I tested the tape in other spots to see if it yields further improvements. I placed small pieces along the places where I thought it may be prone to resonance and vibration. In the metal earcup shell I placed a good amount along the spots where it tends to vibrate the most when playing bass heavy songs. I placed 3 small squares in those highlighted spots and it added body to the mids and brought it forward slightly. I was careful not to use too much because as I have been playing with this material, I've noticed too much will kill bass and dynamics.

After all said and done, its really an amazing headphone and a massive improvement from stock form. VS stock, the bass is alot tighter with improved texture, impact, slam and speed, with eq it will cause vision distorting levels of sub bass and tender eardrums without sacrificing any clarity or detail. Mids are fuller with more body and a step foward, treble is more resolving and clear. It still retains that Sony house signature still retaining the sparkly treble up top, basically just sounds like a steroided version of itself. I will continue to test out the tape here and there because I feel that there may be further improvements I have not yet been able to unlock.

IMG_20211130_0240382.jpg

Dec 25, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #2,210 of 2,440
Hi, I'm new here and already backread from start to this page.. looks like z7m2 would be a better headphone for home use and a good upgrade(in sound and comfort) vs my xm2(bought in 2018). good ANC.. but bit tingly after awhile, have to turn off ANC most of the time, since I'm at home most of the time too. I have use my xm2 mostly via bluetooth, and since 2020 been using it wired. though I didnt find any difference using bluetooth and wired (probably due to free spotify bit rate). though switching to 16bit or 24 bit flac do the trick, but i think it still missing something that My cheap IEM can give(tinHifi T2).

Anyone think it is still worth to purchase today (released 2018)?

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #2,211 of 2,440
Hi, I'm new here and already backread from start to this page.. looks like z7m2 would be a better headphone for home use and a good upgrade(in sound and comfort) vs my xm2(bought in 2018). good ANC.. but bit tingly after awhile, have to turn off ANC most of the time, since I'm at home most of the time too. I have use my xm2 mostly via bluetooth, and since 2020 been using it wired. though I didnt find any difference using bluetooth and wired (probably due to free spotify bit rate). though switching to 16bit or 24 bit flac do the trick, but i think it still missing something that My cheap IEM can give(tinHifi T2).

Although I've been a big fan of the Z7M2s, after getting a pair of Sennheiser HD800s (the older version, with the silver paint) i haven't been using my Z7M2s that much (they're just gathering dust on my table). My Z7M2s also don't pair well with my current desktop setup (RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> Tom Christiansen Audio HPA-1) but they're ok-ish with the Sony PCM-D100.

In hindsight, they're a good intermediate pair of headphones until you get your hands on the heavy hitters (the HD800s of the head-fi world). I don't think they scale up that well (that's why I am thinking of getting the MDR-Z1R if and when the opportunity arises, i.e., a pair that is in very good condition at a not-so-offensive price) YMMV, of course.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #2,212 of 2,440
In hindsight, they're a good intermediate pair of headphones until you get your hands on the heavy hitters (the HD800s of the head-fi world). I don't think they scale up that well (that's why I am thinking of getting the MDR-1R if and when the opportunity arises, i.e., a pair that is in very good condition at a not-so-offensive price) YMMV, of course.
thanks, but i dont think i would get hd8-- series, I wont be able to enjoy open backs(my kids and dogs are loud.. yeah.. damn those cats..).. but im might try sundara sooner or later.. just enough that I can accept the cost.. and probably will be stored away most of the time. I do like closed back, which might raise audiophiles brows.. hahaha

im planning to use my zx300 to drive it most of the time.. i wont be getting wma's, though those are my first target but I've seen their review and they are massive.
but probably i'll get an amp and a hardware equalizer either analog or digital(is that a thing).

im quite new on this hi-fi /hi-res thing, so looking too forward in the hi-fi future might not be the best thing. usually I would buy a headphone/earphone/iEM and stick with them until they break.. so either i love them, or sold and move to another one. though i tend to go back and forth on xm2 and T2 IEM, i find their difference is either refreshing or lacking.. the xm2 have this low ambience while the T2 is very fast and detailed.. though my definition of detail, might be different from hi-fi norm.

Dec 26, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #2,213 of 2,440
thanks, but i dont think i would get hd8-- series, I wont be able to enjoy open backs(my kids and dogs are loud.. yeah.. damn those cats..).. but im might try sundara sooner or later.. just enough that I can accept the cost.. and probably will be stored away most of the time. I do like closed back, which might raise audiophiles brows.. hahaha

im planning to use my zx300 to drive it most of the time.. i wont be getting wma's, though those are my first target but I've seen their review and they are massive.
but probably i'll get an amp and a hardware equalizer either analog or digital(is that a thing).

im quite new on this hi-fi /hi-res thing, so looking too forward in the hi-fi future might not be the best thing. usually I would buy a headphone/earphone/iEM and stick with them until they break.. so either i love them, or sold and move to another one. though i tend to go back and forth on xm2 and T2 IEM, i find their difference is either refreshing or lacking.. the xm2 have this low ambience while the T2 is very fast and detailed.. though my definition of detail, might be different from hi-fi norm.
i've tried the zx300 with the z7m2 before, it's not the best pairing out there as the zx300 has relatively weaker amplification. if you do intend to use the zx300 as your source, consider getting an inexpensive portable amp.

i have the mdr-1000x (the grandaddy of Sony's existing BT ANC line of headphones) and the XM3s, so I totally understand where you're coming from. i only use them whenever i'm traveling, as i find their ANC more than decent (thanks to the pandemic, however, they're also gathering dust on my table).

if you're keen on trying other closed back HPs without necessarily breaking the piggy bank, might i suggest the following: Fostex T60RP or Sony MDR-M1ST (yes, I consider them as slightly better than the Z7M2s at a lower price point). The ZMF Aeolus might also be a good alternative but the pads have to be replaced with those of the Verite to bring out their best sound (that said, they're much more expensive than the Z7M2s).

Dec 26, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #2,214 of 2,440
i've tried the zx300 with the z7m2 before, it's not the best pairing out there as the zx300 has relatively weaker amplification. if you do intend to use the zx300 as your source, consider getting an inexpensive portable amp.

i have the mdr-1000x (the grandaddy of Sony's existing BT ANC line of headphones) and the XM3s, so I totally understand where you're coming from. i only use them whenever i'm traveling, as i find their ANC more than decent (thanks to the pandemic, however, they're also gathering dust on my table).

if you're keen on trying other closed back HPs without necessarily breaking the piggy bank, might i suggest the following: Fostex T60RP or Sony MDR-M1ST (yes, I consider them as slightly better than the Z7M2s at a lower price point). The ZMF Aeolus might also be a good alternative but the pads have to be replaced with those of the Verite to bring out their best sound (that said, they're much more expensive than the Z7M2s).
ill try looking for that, im not sure if those hp is available here.. though i thought z7m2 are easier to drive.

that would be my plan, to use it on zx300 for now, then setup an amp and eq(hardware) later. i will build it up rather than buying them all in one go. and probably will introduce a computer in the mix later on.. but that would be so far ahead.

my plan:
get a headphone(my target is a closed back, then open back just to tip my toe in calm waters)
get a portable dac(if i could skip this, probably ill do it)

get a desktop dac
get a desktop eq
get a computer or a laptop
get a pre amp then a bookshelf speaker

though my plan would stop when im satisfied for a moment, and believe me, I could easily get satisfied when i got better than my old, and will take a while before i proceed again, and probably plan will eventually change.. 😅

my listening time, usually in after lunch time, i will have my dap with me, either put on my xm2 or my iem, then listen to music until i fall asleep in the couch, then after an hour(its amazing ho body clock works), ill wake up and go back to what im doing before.

that would ny my normal routine, but sometimes ill just grab my dap and listen to music anyway(any time of the day). though my wife is very attached to her vaccuum that i can only do it on a specific time of the day.

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #2,216 of 2,440

I’m loving my NDH20s right now. Yeah, I know - not the most conventional recommendation against the Z7M2s, but they are pretty great. Many complain of discomfort, but I find them plenty comfortable (wearing them for hours on end).
If you get a pair of renewed NDH20s on Amazon ~$400 then you can also get a pair of Sivga 021 for about $150 and still spend less than the Z7M2s. NDH20s will play most anything well and scale nicely. 021s are the fun, incredibly comfortable, bassy pair of cans you have on hand for when you need your fix.

Plus strong noise isolation on the NDH20s (like shooting muffs).

Plus plus (I've edited this twice). The synergy between the NDH20s and the ZX507 (I know you said ZX300, but the ZX507 is all I've got) is surprisingly amazing.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #2,219 of 2,440
I came across a deal at a local Sony store to buy these headphones for €350. I think that’s a pretty good deal? I want to pair them with my Wm1a. I often use Shure 846 iems. But I’d like a decent set of over ears as well.
Yeah, I'd say if you can get them that cheap, then go for it.
I think the Z7M2s are great headphones, but $500+ is just too much for the what they do. They've got stiff competition in the $500 arena; Focal Elegias, NDH20s, Beyerdynamics, etc. etc. Not necessarily saying that those options do the same things as the Sony's, but still

Users who are viewing this thread

Back