Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Aug 26, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #2,176 of 2,440
Takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks but I usually order cables from aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002835553772.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.4ff22e0edUY4S4

I usually buy from a seller named xinhs, he will terminate anything you want at a very reasonable or no additional cost. You can ask him to make a cable with the screw on connector.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001747365958.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.4ff22e0edUY4S4

He may ask for the pinout, just send him this image. It will also work with both the ring and sleeve grounded.

Btw, How it will be the pinout for a 3.5 mono jacks version?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #2,177 of 2,440
I own a nw-zx300 and wondering if using this MDR-Z7M2 a bit of overkill on balanced 4.4mm? i heard that japanese sony website articles stating that nw-zx300 and MDR-1AM2 are perfect partners, but i also seen MDR-Z7 used with amp and sony NW-ZX2 a few years earlier on sony adverts and that a lot of Head fi people claim that NW-ZX300 is on par or even better than NW-ZX2 due to it's native support of MQA and DSD files and more importantly balanced output, also the build quality on MDR-1AM2 is so so, op par with WH-1000XM3 which i own, maybe MDR-Z7M2 should be perfect end game headphones for me.

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #2,178 of 2,440
The Z7 MKII needs to be driven from the balanced output of the zx300 to sound best. In fact, you may want to buy the 1A or ZX507 to bring out even better performance from your z7 MKII.

Oct 6, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #2,180 of 2,440
The Z7M2 need some EQ, but it's a already a rather power hungry headphone. Even with my WM1A the power is missing quite often with some DSD. I don't know if the ZX300 is more powerful than the WM1A, if not, It should be an issue. I use at least a little amp like the Oriolus BA300s which helps a lot the WM1A with my Z7M2. With this amp, It's a rather expensive way to go.
But sound is really very enjoyable with such combo.

Oct 6, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #2,181 of 2,440
That seems to be the knock on Sony DAPs, at least based on my limited personal experience, and reading about others experience, low power output. That is of course relative to the load and the preferred playback volume of the user, so your results may vary.

Oct 6, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #2,182 of 2,440
I find the Z7M2 sounding nice even with the A players (A35/45/55). I don't think that driving them from the balanced port of the ZX300 would be an issue.

I'm always impressed any time I listen to some music on the Z7M2 with the WM1A or an A player, though it's with a custom firmware.

Oct 6, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #2,183 of 2,440
That seems to be the knock on Sony DAPs, at least based on my limited personal experience, and reading about others experience, low power output. That is of course relative to the load and the preferred playback volume of the user, so your results may vary.
All brands has advantages and disadvantages, it's also noted that some brands such as ibasso and fiio have high power rating significantly higher than Sony, but the disadvantages is that high sensitivity iems such as campfire audio which result in background loud hiss, but some people mention that the sony daps the hiss is significantly lower and barely audible

Oct 6, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #2,184 of 2,440
I find the Z7M2 sounding nice even with the A players (A35/45/55). I don't think that driving them from the balanced port of the ZX300 would be an issue.

I'm always impressed any time I listen to some music on the Z7M2 with the WM1A or an A player, though it's with a custom firmware.
Thanks for your opinions, that's great news, I note you have a series for super portability and wm1 for ultimate sound quality, covers all your areas

Oct 6, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #2,185 of 2,440

Yes, it is do able from a single end output but the balanced output sounds much nicer to my ears. Agreed on the 1A pairing.

Oct 6, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #2,186 of 2,440
Thanks for your opinions, that's great news, I note you have a series for super portability and wm1 for ultimate sound quality, covers all your areas

Yes, I mostly use the A45/A55 players (running the 1A/Z firmware) on the go, with the Shure SE846. From time to time I also connect the Z7M2.

At home I normally use the WM1A with Z7M2.

Oct 6, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #2,187 of 2,440
I own a nw-zx300 and wondering if using this MDR-Z7M2 a bit of overkill on balanced 4.4mm? i heard that japanese sony website articles stating that nw-zx300 and MDR-1AM2 are perfect partners, but i also seen MDR-Z7 used with amp and sony NW-ZX2 a few years earlier on sony adverts and that a lot of Head fi people claim that NW-ZX300 is on par or even better than NW-ZX2 due to it's native support of MQA and DSD files and more importantly balanced output, also the build quality on MDR-1AM2 is so so, op par with WH-1000XM3 which i own, maybe MDR-Z7M2 should be perfect end game headphones for me.

Z7M2 is wonderful with the ZX300. I'm not convinced I could blindly discern the ZX300 balanced output against my much more powerful Jotunhiem/Modius desktop stack with the Z7M2.

Oct 6, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #2,188 of 2,440
On that topic, I wonder if we have users who actually use the MDR-Z1R as a portable headphone? :thinking:

I'm sure there are brave and/or adventurous souls out there who actually do. You have my respect!
Well they come with a box that comes with a carrying bag :D

But even though they are considered closed-back headphones, they pretty much don't isolate at all. At least thats my impression. I would not use them anywhere where there is a least amount of noise. They are closed by paper and paper is not well known for good isolation.

They IER-Z1R isolate a bit better, but i think even those don't isolate well enough for me.

The only earphone i use outside the house and while traveling is the IER-M9 as this is the only one that isolated well enough that i feel like i can enjoy music.

Oct 6, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #2,189 of 2,440
That's a decent cost, IMO; it's less than half the asking price of a brand-new MDR-Z7M2.

Look at the headband and the pads; these are the first to go, and are the main contact points with parts of your body. If the pads are cracking or flaking, you'll probably need to get them replaced, and official Sony pads aren't cheap (if I remember correctly).
The IER-Z1R pads are rather expensive for roughly 85€ but the MDR-Z7M2 are ~40€. But for one side of course. So its 80€ to replace both on the Z7M2 (and 170€ on the MDR-Z1R)

Compared to the new price of the headphones, thats an okay price expectable for an headphone of that price range. But for 350€ used, the 80€ hit harder.

An "like new" MDR-Z7M2 with (90 days limited) warranty is around 500€. Before spending 80€ on pads for an 350€ one, i would go for the 500€ model.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #2,190 of 2,440
Z7M2 is wonderful with the ZX300. I'm not convinced I could blindly discern the ZX300 balanced output against my much more powerful Jotunhiem/Modius desktop stack with the Z7M2.
You I suspect are completely correct, you shouldn't be able to hear any difference balanced versus single ended unless there are clearly design implementation issues that introduce audible distortion one topology versus the other. The whole notion that balanced sounds better is just not supported by any science, it isn't supposed to sound better. The cross talk that is rejected with balanced topologies is an issue with very large runs of cables, hence the use in recording studios and other commercial type of settings. Now if the load cannot be driven properly single ended and the amp is genuinely struggling to keep up, in theory absolutely the sound could suffer audibly, but that really isn't nearly as common as you would think based on reading.

In such a genuinely underpowered scenario, sure, a properly balanced design with more power could tip the scales and improve sound in an audible way; however, it would be flawed logic to assume the improvement exists without evidence. IMO. I know that you weren't actually saying anything about single ended versus balanced per say, but given that power is the only audible difference that properly designed balanced designs have over properly designed single ended ones, I thought the points aligned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back