Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Oct 10, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #2,191 of 2,440
Truth be told, i nearly gave up on my Z7M2s, after I got a pair of OG HD800 (if you look at the picture, there's dust build up on the cups haha). They also didn't play that well with my desktop DAC/amp combo (RME ADI-2 AK4493 + TCA HPA-1). In fact, I've already listed them for sale in a local FB marketplace group. That's why when I got myself a Sony PCM-D100 yesterday (a brand new and sealed unit that was produced in 2019, a big surprise as I thought it was already discontinued) and paired it with the Z7M2, I re-discovered why I bought the latter in the very first place:

51572860841_49e64c122f_c.jpg

It's a match made in heaven!

Oct 10, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #2,192 of 2,440
Truth be told, i nearly gave up on my Z7M2s, after I got a pair of OG HD800 (if you look at the picture, there's dust build up on the cups haha). They also didn't play that well with my desktop DAC/amp combo (RME ADI-2 AK4493 + TCA HPA-1). In fact, I've already listed them for sale in a local FB marketplace group. That's why when I got myself a Sony PCM-D100 yesterday (a brand new and sealed unit that was produced in 2019, a big surprise as I thought it was already discontinued) and paired it with the Z7M2, I re-discovered why I bought the latter in the very first place:

51572860841_49e64c122f_c.jpg

It's a match made in heaven!
Is that thing like an audiophile grade recording device? Do you use it as a DAP as well? Very interesting!

Oct 10, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #2,193 of 2,440
Is that thing like an audiophile grade recording device? Do you use it as a DAP as well? Very interesting!
Studio grade but for field recording.

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #2,194 of 2,440

As @purk mentioned, the PCM-D100 is designed to be a field recorder (in many circles, this is considered to be the best for its size). What made the PCM-D100 acquire some sort of a "cult status" is its legendary playback performance; one may even argue that, for pure sound performance alone, it can still match up with more modern DAPs (the PCM-D100 falls obviously short on usability, features and ergonomics).

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #2,195 of 2,440
As @purk mentioned, the PCM-D100 is designed to be a field recorder (in many circles, this is considered to be the best for its size). What made the PCM-D100 acquire some sort of a "cult status" is its legendary playback performance; one may even argue that, for pure sound performance alone, it can still match up with more modern DAPs (the PCM-D100 falls obviously short on usability, features and ergonomics).
Ah thank you sir! That’s what I wanted to know! Does it use Sonys proprietary DAC tech as found in the ZX300 and up?

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #2,196 of 2,440
Both versions of Z7s have spikes in high-mid and treble zones so that I tend to avoid "cold" DAC such as ESS one which might make sound brighter and hash. I prefer warm sources for my Z7s: modded walkman, burrbrown dac, and class-A/tube amp.
Old comment but I just wanted to mention that I had a Magni 3 and it was slightly too bright with my Z7. Ended up selling the Magni off because of ear pain.

I wish there was more information in this thread about sources and amplifier synergies with the Z7M2. I searched the thread for any mention of the Asgard 3 and nothing came up. Just one example of how scant this sort of information is on this thread.
I just started using an Asgard 2 with the Sony Z7M2's. It has a rich and full presentation on rock and jazz. I like the low end. It matches well with the music I listen to. Source is Apple lossless and Cd's.

Oct 11, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #2,197 of 2,440
Ah thank you sir! That’s what I wanted to know! Does it use Sonys proprietary DAC tech as found in the ZX300 and up?
From what I've heard from friends that were also Sony fanbois and had extensive knowledge of the brand's history of audio products, the PCM-D100 supposedly shared the same DAC as the NW-ZX2 (the previous Walkman flagship prior to the release of the existing NW-WM1 platform), i.e., a Sigma-Delta DAC that was tweaked by Sony engineers. What made the PCM-D100 better (according to them) was that the DAC chip in it was the fully unlocked version, i.e., it can do native DSD playback whereas the ZX2 was limited to DSD over PCM (DoP). It also had a more powerful headphone output than the ZX-2 (the PCM-D100 can easily power an HD650 to unbearably loud levels). Too bad they discontinued them (Sony released a cheaper version, the PCM-D10 but its performance is objectively weaker than the PCM-D100).

Personally, I wouldn't encourage everyone to get a PCM-D100 unless they're fine living with its many quirks (you need to use an SD card (or an adapter for your micro SD card), worst-in-class layout and ergonomics (it's chunky as hell), sometimes it decides not to read the SD card, there's a file number limit on the SD card, you can't use it as a USB-DAC, you might be suspected as carrying a "dangerous" weapon because it looks like an oversized taser). But if you can look beyond these quirks, you'd be rewarded with its excellent sound and a level of durability/longevity you can expect from a professional Sony product.

(P.S. What's funny is I had a PCM-D100 before, which I sold to fund my purchase of my WM1A. Now I'm selling my WM1A to fund the purchase of the PCM-D100. How the tables have turned :sweat_smile:)

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #2,198 of 2,440
Here is my thoughts after 40 hours or so with the MDR-Z7M2 and what I found effects the performance of these headphones. I wanted a good pair of closed back headphones for my home office that I can play at any volume if I want for late night Netflix or audio. After exhaustive reading I decided to pick up a pair of MDR-Z7M2. This was not a need, but I thought would be a fun project. I am more familiar with higher end home systems (theater and 2 channel), only vaguely familiar with headphone setups. I have listened to friends (only way lately because of Covid) Focal closed back (lower priced one), Audeze LCD2 Closed back and a Sennheiser HD820, neither wowed me or made me want to buy them. I now wish I could try the Sony Z1R.

After a few minor tweaks (see below) and for the price these headphones are very impressive. Originally after getting the MDR-Z7M2 I tried them from a iPhone 12 Mini and desktop PC with Audioquest Dragonfly Red, Cobalt, Ikko Zerda and straight from a iPhone 12 Mini and straight from the PC ASUS motherboard Realtek headphone output. Source being mainly Tidal (iPhone and PC) and Netflix (PC). Also tried using Motherboard DAC to a Grado RA-1 and a upgraded Grado RA-1 clone amps. Felt the headphones had potential and ended up with this setup: Source being mainly Tidal and Netflix from PC -> APO (Peace) EQ -> USB (will try toslink soon) to Schiit Modius -> Musical Fidelity X-10v3 (fully upgraded) tube line stage/buffer -> Schiit Asgard 3 -> MDR-Z7M2. I included a pic of the setup.

Here is what I found so far to make the biggest difference in regards to performance of these headphones (not in any specific order of importance):

1) EQ! From factory without EQ for me the frequency response was too flat. There is a peak in the 3K - 4K region that needs to be managed and below 200hz to 20hz needs boosting. When EQ is used these cans in lower to sub bass can emulate a powered sub in a home system without bleeding into mid base and midrange region. Basically it feels like I have a JL Audio powered sub on each side if I want, this transforms these headphones for me. The MDR-Z7M2 take to EQ well.

2) To tighten the bass and get more bass articulation from the MDR-Z7M2, inside of the ear cups need to be filtered or surgical taped like in the mods used on the MDR-Z7. I tried using a few different material like coffee machine filters and such and ended up using 3M Micropore surgical tape I picked up at Target. This tweak will make the overall presentation more coherent, slightly better separation of all sounds and get rid of the boominess in the sub bass. By the way, after the pad is removed 8 small phillip head screws secure the back cups.

3) I changed the stock pads for larger, more angled sheepskin pads. Purchased from AliExpress, took 20 days to arrive after ordering and was about $22. Changing the pad is easy, one small phillips head screw per pad and the pads turn and pop off. These are the 100mm pads found here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057605882.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.426d4c4dzZ5xGE
And actually this YouTuber nailed it when he was describing what the pad change does:

4) The stock cable works, is flexible and is 10'. The stock cable holds these headphone back. I have a decent amount of experience with cables used in higher end resolving gear but not headphone cables. So the design is a tad of a guess but the sonic results were excellent, huge difference compared to the stock cable. For those who care, I used a Furutech 1/4" plug and gold plated copper mini plugs, WBT solder (FYI Cardas Quad Eutectic will give a slightly warmer signature vs WBT), JPS Labs Alumiloy 22ga. stranded conductors, 18ga. teflon tubes, twisted pairs, one for each channel. Then teflon tape wrapped the twisted pairs before inserting into techflex. This is where I realize after I should of used Fiberglass cloth sleeving instead of the techflex. The techflex if rubbed will be slightly microphonic. I may just order the Fiberglass sleeving from Sonic Craft and replace the techflex. Compared to stock cable sounds much more organic or real and natural. Way more micro and macro detail, vocals are not recessed like they were before, the difference between the cables are not subtle.

5) The MDR-Z7M2 can be run off a phone or a portable amp/dac like a Dragonfly but to really hear the potential of these headphones they need power. Performance will scale well with better amp and dacs, to what level I am not sure. As a side, it is clear to me that although good sounding inexpensive headphone amp and dacs are available they do not control EMI or RFI as well as higher end gear. These lower priced amps and dacs like the Schiit Audio stack I have perform astoundingly well for the money "after" EMI and RFI is addressed. Still tinkering with this.

Great headphones for the money, especially after 1-5 above.

Thanks for the detailed report!

Oct 22, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #2,199 of 2,440
I just started using an Asgard 2 with the Sony Z7M2's. It has a rich and full presentation on rock and jazz. I like the low end. It matches well with the music I listen to. Source is Apple lossless and Cd's.

Since you quoted an earlier comment of mine I have an update. After I sold the Magni 3 I purchased an ASgard 3 direct from Schitt. The A3 was a big miss in terms of audio clarity and lower frequency impact. Ended up returning it for a refund. Immediately afterwords I purchased a JDS Labs Atom. This little amp has been an absolute home run. Better than any amp I ever used. The clarity in sound my Z7 and HD650 now produce is stunning. So resolving. The bass emitted from the Z7 has never sounded this good. It's simultaneously impactful and clean. My previous amps ranged from $250-$300 in price and one of them had an additional $100 in upgrades. So I'm pleasantly surprised a $100 amp outperforms them. Credit is due to Amir at ASR for providing test results that informed my purchase decision.

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #2,200 of 2,440
20211023_140929-02.jpeg

WM1A hooked up to an old amplifier, listening via the Sony Z7M2 - Electromures Delia AWS-303 (1989). Awesome experience!

The WM1A has the WM1Z sound signature, with the Plus v2 mode.

Oct 27, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #2,201 of 2,440
Skimmed through some of the posts of this incredibly long thread - can anyone point me to a solid review that clearly articulates the sound signature of these?

I’m very heavily considering getting these to compliment my Drop x Sennheiser HD6xx. Figure, I’ll have my HD6xx for open back sound, Z7M2 for closed, AKG N40 for IEMs, and the AKG K371 as a cheap, portable fun option. I’m also running all of these on a FiiO M11 Pro and BTR5 as I haven’t pulled the trigger on an amp stack (I just hate being tied down even though I’m not necessarily a portable person ~ especially right now with everything going on). Spotify and Tidal are my go-to sources, though I might try Qobuz here in the near future!

The Z7M2 look fantastic, premium in every way. People rave about the comfort - which is great because I’d like to wear these for hours on end. Some say these cause little to no ear fatigue, which is even better because that‘s my biggest gripe with K371 and K553 (the K553 I’ll be returning). People seem to all agree on those things. Agreeing on the sound quality appears to be a totally different game. I’ve read some reviews that say they have too much bass, others say too little. Some say they have a natural warm tone, others say the mids make it tinny. Commentary aside, what do these actually sound like??

I’d also like to at least look at a few other potential options before pulling the trigger on these. My budget is in the $500 to $600 range but that’s a firm max. Something that is comfort, can be listened to for extended periods of time, and doesn’t require a ton of power to drive would be great. Any suggestions?
Did you get z7m2 at the end? I have it and am loving it, am curious how you would compare hd6xx with it.

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #2,202 of 2,440
Topology/power change on the Asgard from gen 2 to gen 3 explains above perspectives pretty well. Incoming THX 887 has me wondering about other users experiences with this amp particularly a balanced DAC. Z7M2 is such a different bird, with the huge dynamic driver, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has had any experience running balanced on that particular THX amp?? Se?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #2,203 of 2,440
Topology/power change on the Asgard from gen 2 to gen 3 explains above perspectives pretty well. Incoming THX 887 has me wondering about other users experiences with this amp particularly a balanced DAC. Z7M2 is such a different bird, with the huge dynamic driver, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has had any experience running balanced on that particular THX amp?? Se?
I own and use the Monolith THX887, it's working like a charm with the Z7M2, as source I have I could mix between :

1) WM1A with a 4mm to 2 XLR cable .... totally hiss free. I use some GEQ to lower a bit low frequencies (half of these as Oratory1990 used my personnel sample of Z7M2 to fix the adjusments)
1636877643340.png

2) On the way I use a Kann Alpha with same GEC and toslink output to a SMSL M500 between the A&K and Monolith THX 887.

3) Mostly I use a Win10 pro ultra mobile PC (Ockel Sirius A pro) with Neutron player and some PEQ adjustments. with Oratory1990 PEQ for Harman 2018 target
1636877914253.png

I would say, Z7M2 just needs to lower a bit the low frequencies to get faster clearer impacts, I don't lower mid high and high as much as Oratory1990 with PEQ, I usually enjoy crystal clear high. The Z7M2 becomes a very good headphone with the THX887 as the WM1A alone is sometime falling short with power and gives not as deep impacts as with the THX 887.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #2,204 of 2,440
PXL_20211204_030545246~2.jpg

This is warning to Z7 and potentially Z7M2 owners. What I thought were "chrome" pieces on the ends of the headband turn out to be plastic. A layer of faux chrome is painted on this plastic part. One evening I was using some clear 3M packaging tape to remove dust/lint from my headphones and when I dabbed this plastic piece with the tape it pulled off chunks of the paint.

The headband is the one area they went cheap with the Z7. The rest of the headphone uses solid parts such as aluminum, magnesium, and leather. But the underside of the headband, unlike the top, is faux leather or what people call pleather. And of course there's the fake chrome accents shown in the photo.

I don't know if they changed this for the Z7M2 but just in case keep the tape away from the headband and don't get it wet.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #2,205 of 2,440
Z7m2 looks to be a little different, its a hard matte plastic.
IMG_20211203_224501.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back