Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Dec 27, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #2,221 of 2,440
Yeah, I'd say if you can get them that cheap, then go for it.
I think the Z7M2s are great headphones, but $500+ is just too much for the what they do. They've got stiff competition in the $500 arena; Focal Elegias, NDH20s, Beyerdynamics, etc. etc. Not necessarily saying that those options do the same things as the Sony's, but still
Thats at the price Ive got them.
The z7mk2 are a really nice closed back dynamic headphone. Build, imaging, stage, musicality...
Works nicely with games, movies, and of course music.
Its not he more analitical headphone out there, but is a relaxed, and make the musoc enjoyable.
So, it's to you what kind of headphone want to have on your collection.

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #2,222 of 2,440
The z7mk2 are a really nice closed back dynamic headphone. Build, imaging, stage, musicality...
Its not he more analitical headphone out there, but is a relaxed, and make the musoc enjoyable.
probably will bite the bullet soon, i just want to enjoy music, sometimes being surprised to hear more than i would expect.. so anything greater than xm2 would be enough, i just like sony as they tend to last and replacement parts are accessible(pads, cable.. etc).. xm2 got earpads replaced but other than that im satisfied with the build, thus looking at z7m2 feels it would last forever as a bonus.

is topping a30pro more than enough or a50s would be just fine?

Dec 27, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #2,223 of 2,440
probably will bite the bullet soon, i just want to enjoy music, sometimes being surprised to hear more than i would expect.. so anything greater than xm2 would be enough, i just like sony as they tend to last and replacement parts are accessible(pads, cable.. etc).. xm2 got earpads replaced but other than that im satisfied with the build, thus looking at z7m2 feels it would last forever as a bonus.

Yeah, I think that that amp move the sony without issues.
The z7mk2 is not the more revealing headphone, for that kind of listening I recomend a cheaper akg, or maybe an hifiman. This is a relaxed laid-back, with some punchiness on the bass. The stage is really nice for be a closed.

The only negative point, is the distorsion on high volumes on bass sound

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #2,224 of 2,440

You might look at drop (massdrop) they have the o2+dac combo unit for $99 at the moment. I wouldnt expect audible differences using that vs. the units mentioned. The fiio Q3 is balanced 4.4mm which you'll already have a cable for with the z7m2, and uses THX aaa tech. I love mine.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #2,225 of 2,440
You might look at drop (massdrop) they have the o2+dac combo unit for $99 at the moment. I wouldnt expect audible differences using that vs. the units mentioned. The fiio Q3 is balanced 4.4mm which you'll already have a cable for with the z7m2, and uses THX aaa tech. I love mine.
The Q3 and Z7M2 have nice synergy - the clean THX amp balances out the warmth of the Z7M2.

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #2,226 of 2,440
Oh o
You might look at drop (massdrop) they have the o2+dac combo unit for $99 at the moment. I wouldnt expect audible differences using that vs. the units mentioned. The fiio Q3 is balanced 4.4mm which you'll already have a cable for with the z7m2, and uses THX aaa tech. I love mine.itk
Oh it is now back to $140!

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #2,227 of 2,440
The Q3 and Z7M2 have nice synergy - the clean THX amp balances out the warmth of the Z7M2.

After reading your reply... I went ahead and bought the Q3 and I am really enjoying it. Been looking for something compact to pair with the Z7M2 and the Q3 is perfect.

Listening to these two on repeat have been pure joy....

Into Your Arms by Giant Rooks from the album, Rookery.

Quicksand by Giant Rooks from Rookery Live Tapes

Thank you!

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #2,228 of 2,440
Has anyone used the Sony z7m2 with an OTL tube amp?

Thoughts?

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #2,229 of 2,440
Even though iems are what I use 90% of the time I can't help but feeling I should own overheads. My IER-Z1R are my favourites so recently I sold my MDR-Z1R to free up some funds (I can always purchase again at a later date if I really miss them).
I am currently trying the Denon D7200 after seeing a secondhand low price - I have some history with Denon and I'm a sucker for those wood cups, but I don't think I will keep.
It occurred to me that I can benefit from overheads for movies, and as I have a more extensive history with Sony the Z7M2 might cater for my ears? Another consideration is the 1AM2. I kept my Sony Kimber cable and would be using either the FiiO BTR5 or TA-ZH1ES to drive them.
Comments on the 1AM2 treble concerns me a bit if I want to crank it up, and small soundstage, and the recessed mids (affecting dialogue?) makes me wonder if the Z7M2 isn't a good choice?
I'd appreciate any feedback and opinions anyone might have to offer thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #2,230 of 2,440
Even though iems are what I use 90% of the time I can't help but feeling I should own overheads. My IER-Z1R are my favourites so recently I sold my MDR-Z1R to free up some funds (I can always purchase again at a later date if I really miss them).
I am currently trying the Denon D7200 after seeing a secondhand low price - I have some history with Denon and I'm a sucker for those wood cups, but I don't think I will keep.
It occurred to me that I can benefit from overheads for movies, and as I have a more extensive history with Sony the Z7M2 might cater for my ears? Another consideration is the 1AM2. I kept my Sony Kimber cable and would be using either the FiiO BTR5 or TA-ZH1ES to drive them.
Comments on the 1AM2 treble concerns me a bit if I want to crank it up, and small soundstage, and the recessed mids (affecting dialogue?) makes me wonder if the Z7M2 isn't a good choice?
I'd appreciate any feedback and opinions anyone might have to offer thanks.
The treble on the 1am2 can be easily tamed but the headphone itself is very uncomfortable unless you have small ears. It sounded good but it was so uncomfortable I couldn't use them for more than 30 mins at a time.

I really like my z7m2 but I've modded it quite a bit at this point.

The last round of mods. 3M copper tape on the wire going to the driver then insulated with teflon tape. Also added the 3 tiny squares of copper tape on top of the fo.q ta102 squares. After all said and done, it sounds pretty neutral, warm with a big bass shelf. Alot smoother mids and more resolving, detailed treble with good sparkle and extension.

IMG_20220216_005756.jpg
IMG_20220217_010827.jpg

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #2,231 of 2,440
The treble on the 1am2 can be easily tamed but the headphone itself is very uncomfortable unless you have small ears. It sounded good but it was so uncomfortable I couldn't use them for more than 30 mins at a time.

I really like my z7m2 but I've modded it quite a bit at this point.

The last round of mods. 3M copper tape on the wire going to the driver then insulated with teflon tape. Also added the 3 tiny squares of copper tape on top of the fo.q ta102 squares. After all said and done, it sounds pretty neutral, warm with a big bass shelf. Alot smoother mids and more resolving, detailed treble with good sparkle and extension.

IMG_20220216_005756.jpgIMG_20220217_010827.jpg
Thanks for the post.
Although probably easy I have no experience with mods and fear I would end up butchering the signature rather than improving upon it.

Feb 17, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #2,232 of 2,440
Thanks for the post.
Although probably easy I have no experience with mods and fear I would end up butchering the signature rather than improving upon it.
Its fairly easy.

I may bring this headphone to canjam nyc on Sun, if anyone wants to demo them hit me up.

Feb 20, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #2,233 of 2,440
I finally bought some MDRZ7m2!! I don’t have that many pairs of cans anymore, but I do work with HD800 for over 8 years. I use an old SPL Auditor as my amp. Got these Sony’s as an alternate fun profile listen, loving the bass, makes the songs fun again. Comfortable on my head too, my baseball caps are 7 5/8 size, so it’s pretty big. No clamp force or anything like that on MDRZ7m2, nice and relaxed. It’ll probably need some more burn-in but I love them already.

Feb 22, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #2,234 of 2,440
I would like to thank you for your feedback on the z7m2. I have been trying to decide on what my next purchase would be for a while, and your review made it easier for me to decide to buy the z7m2.

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #2,235 of 2,440
Yes, I mostly use the A45/A55 players (running the 1A/Z firmware) on the go, with the Shure SE846. From time to time I also connect the Z7M2.

At home I normally use the WM1A with Z7M2.
Hi Mr Walkman, Im using WM1A with your Walkman One - Z1 sound. As you mentioned about Z7M2 , do these combo needs an amp or more power to drive, or its just enough power for 1A and Z7M2 , thanks so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back