Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
Jan 1, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #378 of 440
Is it necessary to tape over the outer ring behind the driver as well? Reflections only come from the cup, right?

The more I keep my fingers away from that driver the more relaxed I'll be!

Currently burning-in and when it gets finished I'll start with the mod.

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #379 of 440
To make a custom balanced cable with xlr at the end I have to know how the poles are assigned or not? What I have to know?

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #381 of 440
To make a custom balanced cable with xlr at the end I have to know how the poles are assigned or not? What I have to know?

On the amp side, my amp SMSL sap9 has XLR 4 pinout as follows:
Pin 1 :Left + signal
Pin 2: Left - signal (ground)
Pin 3: Right + signal
Pin 4: Right - signal (ground)

the Z7 cup has a 3.5 mm connector pinout:
Tip :+ signal
Ring: - signal.
The shield is not used.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #386 of 440
My bad...

I re - check and you were right! Good catch there on your part. L+ L- R+ R- . I'll need to resolder my cable...

You are welcome :). The only time the plugs and terminals are not following standards are when you intentionally build it that way yourself. :D....but even if you can, you would be like...Why ? Lol

May 4, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #388 of 440
Hello fellow head-fiers!

My left socket on my z7 is not working as its supposed to. Do you know of any after-market ones that will fit? Or do any of you kind souls have a spare socket for sale?

May 7, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #389 of 440
IMG_1619.JPG
IMG_1643.JPG

My Z7 MOD

1. Dampening of Earcups and Driver Backing with 3M medical grade tape, skipping the vents and ports
Effect: More Refined, Cleaner and Faster Bass Response. (Sub, mid, and upper bass) Adds to both quality and quantity. (Quantity = to bass lovers delight. Tho the quantity is more than for my taste. But there's a fix on mod#3) There's also Noticeable separation of frequenciesthus preventing bleeding of bass to the mids. Mids more pronounced and improved treble.

2. Spacers on both Earcups Applied
Use: Prevents the cushions to touch and cover the driver housing (partially) thus eliminating unwanted noise. Also creates more space resulting to additional soundstage and airiness feeling to it.

3. Bass Port Modification and Repositioning
Effects: Creates additional airflow chamber to the bass port allowing to a more fine tuning of bass response, bass quality and space. Porting allows to fine tune of bass quantity as well. (The bigger the port = more bass and makes the sound character warmer. The smaller the port = lesser the sub bass and mid bass punch, also making mids a little forward and making the treble more sparkling)

Repositioning of the port and porting to fine tune to my liking trims the bass quantity to my taste also making the treble more sparkle and not harsh and making the sound character more balanced and much clearer mids. Crispier now from a lousy on stock. Vocals on the right spot not too forward nor laid back.

-----------------------------------
The Z7 MOD creates positive results in totality. Is it subtle, hell no... big difference (compared to stock Z7) in a positive way.

May 21, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #390 of 440
hi all
sorry for my question,i have not followed the whole thread because I don't understand the language , could you tell me which is the pinout for the Sony mdr-z1r side cup (3,5mm).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back