Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
May 7, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #121 of 440
Whitiger can post pics and describe is process for the uprgade he did for me. Reasonable price, shipped and back at my door in less than a week. It was a massive upgrade. Evidence Audio Lyric HG IGL Solid Core Copper 20 awg wire, internally. That company makes cables I use in my studio for every analog connection (ie. monitors, sub, guitars, bass, keyboards, microphones, etc) and that is the line of cable David Gilmour and his band use exclusively  live and in the studio. Externally I had bought www.Audiocadabra.com solid core (24 awg I think) copper wire for my Senn HD650 that I'm selling now. I had Whitiger solder on Neutrk jacks that snap in to the cans. 2 meter cable, plenty long enough, but not too long. Cans and cable were already burned in, but gave them near a week more burning for the internal wiring. Now they are the best sounding headphones I've ever heard or owned. The high end extends better, just south of the point where overly bright recordings can hurt, which is perfect. I am hyper-sensitive to highs. They're still smooth.

The midrange that sometimes hurt around 1 khz is gone, that was caused by internal resonance behind the cups. The surgical tape does tame those longer reflections in the low mids, giving it cleaner, punchier bass that extends slightly better due to less standing wave phase cancellation. Still, such thinner damping does not affect mid lows / below that. They mainly control thee ringy buildup at 1khz caused by an undamped cup space. If you cup your hands over ANY open cans you'll hear what I get at, the sound isn't more bassy at all, it's a ringy nightmare. Without those reflections the sound is more true, you hear the speaker, not the space behind it. The external cable difference I was familiar with. The thicker gauge cable inside, the Evidence wire once broken in is surreal. There is such a lifelike sound to it now. My Audio Technica ATH-R70x (my current favorite under $500 open set) was great and not far off in sound quality to the MDR-Z7. I upgraded the cable for that to shorter OCC burned in, and it was intimidating how much better it is.

I was worried it would eclipse my MDR-Z7. Now that I'd tested it burned in, there's no comparison. The MDR-Z7 wins and it takes a while for my ears to adapt, to the smaller ATH-R70x sound. It's important to clarify why I like solid core copper. I've tried solid silver wire for my studio, and never liked it. It lets more highs through, but I find the results zingy sounding. Most things were developed (guitars, mics, speakers, cans) for what copper will do when plugged into it. Alleviating that gentle high end roll off and a slowing of transients means more edgy sound. If you like that, cool. I speak for those sensitive to highs. Solid core seems to continue what is needed from copper, but add a level of clarity, without seeming "brighter", that is hard to describe. Things get more true to life, and in your face. It puts these cans at the top of the pack to me. It's an investment but it's worth it. As stated above Whitiger has pics and comments on his process from our emails that I'll let him share and answer any questions you all might have on doing the mod.

May 7, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #122 of 440
Thanks Mark for the awesome write up. So far Mark has the largest inner cables that was carefully catered toward his needs. There were real nights and days improvements across the whole spectrum, and especially toward the bass and everything in it. I am glad that Mark is loving his Z7 just like We both expected and I am so much happier to have helped another member to explore the "forbidden fruits" within his potential Z7.

Congratulations to Mark for another unique Z7 that is so far as I known, the only one on earth at this moment. Here is a shot at his beautiful Z7 being test running by me

May 15, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #125 of 440
What difference does it make compared to the stock cable?
What I saw from the seller's website is that it comes with termination other than a 3.5 mm single end male plug. Do you have to replace it with the 3.5 mm SE plug or it does come with it? How much did you pay? Appreciate for your help. Thank you.

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #126 of 440
Dang...I couldn't believe how much the pads mod is improving the quality. I replaced the Play foam with the newer materials. The material that I never used before :D it sounded fancy and all, but I got the idea from the people who mod their th900. I basically did the same thing, but replaced the orange foam discs into this foam. The better trebles and the soundstage is so dang good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VYAXV8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

So stealthy and professional looking now

Front is double pads

Rear is single pad

The foam pad has 2 faces. The one with more porous surface than another. Make sure the more porous surface is turned outside away from the driver, and the one with less porous faces in toward the drivers for the best result :)

I did the mod with the exact same stuff and I'm happy. No other mods done.

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #128 of 440
Such tight bass and crazy awesome subs with vocals clear and full soundstage. Just nice to listen to. Thanks for your mod with the Poron.

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #135 of 440
Oh you did that pad thing too? I didn't know that. Can you describe what was done to improve the pads? Thanks.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/794373/sony-mdr-z7-upgrades-and-mods-thread/60#post_12379041
http://www.head-fi.org/t/794373/sony-mdr-z7-upgrades-and-mods-thread/60#post_12367530

Yes, every modifications that bring improvements are listed and described here so people can DIY. My goal is to help people to bring out the optimized potentials of the Z7, and like someone else said, it is very sweet and fruitful to mod the Z7. I just want people to know that I don't and has no intentions to make this as a business of mine.....I have my own life. However, I am much of an enthusiast as I have shown you all, and on my spare times I "may" help people who need my helps. If anyone want, they can always PM me anytime

Users who are viewing this thread

Back