Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
Apr 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #106 of 440
  Recently I've headed back to listening with my Z7s, but lamented the issues with the treble. Aside from the cable I've just completed the mods and I'm very happy with the improvements.

Hey! 
blink.gif

You helped me decide on getting the Z7... You where the only one who had excellent High quality informative videos on the Z7 waaaay back in Oct-2014
dt880smile.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z72CWxM2iQc

You are awesome, thanks for that!
beerchug.gif

Oh and you guys are making it real hard for me to keep my Z7 Stock... oh but I'll be the last man standing I swear it!!

..now where did I put that screw driver..
ph34r.gif

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #108 of 440
Sure.. just put some gasoline on the fire..
tongue.gif

alright, I'll start gathering the items needed to mod..  I'm sure glade there are brave and experimental people aboard this ship!

I would have never dared on my own with out the push, so thanks for that =-D

..And you where right, dang dog!

Apr 3, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #109 of 440
Oh and you know you're Pioneering the next Sony Flag ship HP's right?

Just like what happened to the HD-800 to HD-800s

No doubt this forum is invaluable, Especially to a companies R&D division

popcorn.gif

Apr 3, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #111 of 440
You deserve it!
beerchug.gif

Now if we can get Currawong to do a Z7 Modded review..

Pretty Please?
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #115 of 440
I found a Kimber Kable on Amazon for a decent price so I think I'm gonna go for it. It's a shame the stock cable is so long.

I sent mine to @PETEREK for modding.  He's quite reasonable, maybe a little too reasonable....

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #118 of 440
 For my set at higher volumes there is a bit of ringing that goes on in the sound / the ringing my set gets annoying at higher volume

I hope you're still on here reading this and have your headphones. I am having the main mod on this done. Upgrading all cable (external to solid core copper Audiocadabra cable, internal to likely high quality OCC (possibly solid core but probably OCC). The surgical tape too. The better cable seems to extend the highs and lows a bit (without the tizzy edge caused by silver). This reduces the bump I'm hearing in the mids you hear. I took EQ and cut 4-6 db about 1 khz, and a tiny bit at 2 khz and tiny bit at 800 hz (maybe 1-2 db). It fixed the ring but also slightly reduced the sound quality so more of a mechanical fix (ie. real world, non-EQ) is best. This will avoid phase shift that EQ always causes when used.

I think that the right kind of damping is good. I'd discussed this with others. The heavy and dense stuff absorbs standing waves. Thinner stuff that is far less absorbent and more about stopping mid to high frequency reflections won't reduce bass and it may actually make bass more noticeable if it's not obscured by mid ringing. I tested this by cupping my hands over the back of my Audio Technica ATH-R70x. The bass reduced slightly, that mid to high mid peak area got boosted heavily. Without doing that, they had no such ringing issues. Since it's not that far apart in sound (warm but clear highs, full low mids and mid bass, etc) it's a good test. I'll let everyone know if this helps with the ringing you notice.

May 3, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #119 of 440
3 weeks ago I ordered the single ended 3.1 meter Sony Kimber Kable (MUCB12SM1) from a vendor in Japan via Amazon for $185 shipped. I got a tracking number and it's in transit. Probably somewhere out in the Pacific ocean! LMAO!!! Who knows when I'll get it, maybe around June 3-10 according to the tracking number. At least it'll give my brain plenty of time to adjust to the Z7 sound so I can make an honest opinion of any improvement the Kimber Kable will or will not make. I bought the Kimber more for the length and jet plug and I'm not really expecting a big difference in the sound. Being the Z7 is so widely available (mine is SN #: 20463), and the way Sony promotes the improved sound using the Kimber's, I'm not real sure why Sony doesn't make the Kimber's available here in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back