Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
Mar 8, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #91 of 440
It snaps in, but there is no way I'd describe it as "tight'. It's similar to any minijack connector.

There is a reason why Sony engineers designed it with a screw in connector in the first place, after all. 

I've several times pulled them out when they aren't screwed in. I know, because I tried while worrying about pulling them yanking while screwed in. 

Not gonna fall out on it's own accord, but still. YMMV. I am using much bigger, heavier cables than you are probably going to use. 

I'd be more worried about the annoyance of losing a channel than I would be damaging the cord.

It doesn't seem like you have much choice however, since this screw type isn't commercialy available I don't think.  

I had been using without the screw-on mechanism since forever, and I never had any problem of it falling out. It really snap-in tightly.

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #92 of 440
Has anyone tried covering the bass port at the bottom and seeing how it affects the sound? I'd like to try to get these to leak less sound, and was curious how important it is to the sound.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #95 of 440
  I got a reduction in bass just using my fingers. That's not a good thing. So it's a no go for me. I figure those are there for a reason.

Not only the bass, but the whole staging should shrink to peanuts after covering it up. There's actually another vent port with the same acoustic mesh. It's on top of the ear cup, hidden usually under the cup mounting arms/headband.

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #96 of 440
has anyone tried putting on a brainwavz pad on the z7? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZGFVEUE?psc=1
the velour ones might help to bring out the treble and reduce the overly flabby bass a bit. The past z700 and z1000 had dramatic sound changes when pads were swapped, so that also makes me want to know what would changing the ear pads on the z7 do to it' sound. and also there is also the complaint of stock pads getting hot after a while.

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #97 of 440
  has anyone tried putting on a brainwavz pad on the z7? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZGFVEUE?psc=1
the velour ones might help to bring out the treble and reduce the overly flabby bass a bit. The past z700 and z1000 had dramatic sound changes when pads were swapped, so that also makes me want to know what would changing the ear pads on the z7 do to it' sound. and also there is also the complaint of stock pads getting hot after a while.

It's a lot easier to just use a thin layer of stick-on sound damping material which is quite cheap. Changing the Q of the earcups is probably the quickest and simplest route to tightening up the bass and mids. There's no way to easily mount other earpads because the Z7 pads are glued to a mounting ring.

Mar 31, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #101 of 440
Recently I've headed back to listening with my Z7s, but lamented the issues with the treble. Aside from the cable I've just completed the mods and I'm very happy with the improvements.

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #104 of 440

Users who are viewing this thread

Back