Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
Oct 15, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #151 of 440
My son managed to strip the threads on the arm that holds the right cup to the headband.  The thread on the bolt/screw attached to the headband and allows the cup to swivel is OK, but the female end in the arm attached to the cup must be stripped enough that it won't accept the screw/bolt.

Any thoughts on how to get them repaired for him?  

Thanks in advance.

HS

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #154 of 440
any information available on the thread specifications, Whitigir?

HS

I never came across them, I can not answer for you, sorry. But the re-threading kits are available via online or local Home Depot ? You just have to look and measure to buy the right one. You can also try another way that people use to fix wood ? Toothpick and gorilla glues.

You can try the Suguru paste inside, punch a hole about the screw size, wait for 24 hours, then use toothpick to fill it up, give a drip of glues, and screw in the bolt ?

Again, the above are only ideas that I brainstorm out, I never came across it

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #155 of 440
I never came across them, I can not answer for you, sorry. But the re-threading kits are available via online or local Home Depot ? You just have to look and measure to buy the right one. You can also try another way that people use to fix wood ? Toothpick and gorilla glues.

You can try the Suguru paste inside, punch a hole about the screw size, wait for 24 hours, then use toothpick to fill it up, give a drip of glues, and screw in the bolt ?

Again, the above are only ideas that I brainstorm out, I never came across it

I appreciate your thoughts, Whitigir.

HS

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #156 of 440
JB Weld it.

If you're gonna try to helicoil it, check with mcmaster carr. Figure out the thread size, etc.

Btw, take a macro pic of the axle, it doesn't look like its screwed in to me. I checked on mine and there is no way to screw it in. Is it threaded?

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #157 of 440
  JB Weld it.

If you're gonna try to helicoil it, check with mcmaster carr. Figure out the thread size, etc.

Btw, take a macro pic of the axle, it doesn't look like its screwed in to me. I checked on mine and there is no way to screw it in. Is it threaded?

Thank you for your response, thesmokingman.

I thought about JB weld, but I'll have to hog out the threads as I can't get it started well.  I gently tried pliers and it comes loose every time.  Have not gotten heavy handed yet, but the JB Weld may work fine.

As best I can tell, that axle is supposed to be attached to what is referred to as the "hanger" here on page 7 of the service manual (item #8 in the parts list).  https://docs.sony.com/release/MDSM/989605201_sm.pdf

That axle looks like it was blue loctited into the hanger but I guess due to pressure the threads gave way and it ended up attached to the "holder, twist" or item 9 in that diagram.  So I released it from the holder twist by removing the "stopper shaft" (item 10).  The axle simply has threads on the one end and a groove for the holder twist and one for a rubber o-ring and then it's round up top...no place for a hex key, screw driver, etc...

I apologize for the crappy pics from my iPhone...  Here is the threaded part of the axle in the holder twist.

Here it is after I'd removed the holder twist by taking out the two screws and sliding it out and then releasing the axle by sliding out the flat stopper shaft that has a "u-shape" cut out of it and holds the axle by one of the grooves cut in the axle.  You can see I've started screwing the axle in the boss in the hanger but it won't go far as I'm pretty confident the threads in the boss are in bad shape.

I hope this makes sense.  Appreciate the help!

HS

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #159 of 440
  OK...way better pic of the axle in the holder twist:

HS

Good pic. That looks like a good candidate for jb weld. Once it's welded it won't come out again that's for sure. You could do that while trying to source a right side hanger as a true backup.

There's still the heli coil method with the self tapping inserts.

http://www.stanleyengineeredfastening.com/brands/heli-coil/screw-thread-inserts/types

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #160 of 440

Good pic. That looks like a good candidate for jb weld. Once it's welded it won't come out again that's for sure. You could do that while trying to source a right side hanger as a true backup.

There's still the heli coil method with the self tapping inserts.

http://www.stanleyengineeredfastening.com/brands/heli-coil/screw-thread-inserts/types

I've only used helicoils on my car and they are effective, but the size was very different.  I'm a bit of an oaf with my hands so I fear I'll tear it up...LOL.  Might try your JB weld idea as I have little to lose if I have to replace that hanger with the axle anyway.  I'll see if I can price the hanger early next week.

Thanks for your thoughts, thesmokingman.  It's useful to have another's views.

HS

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #161 of 440

I've only used helicoils on my car and they are effective, but the size was very different.  I'm a bit of an oaf with my hands so I fear I'll tear it up...LOL.  Might try your JB weld idea as I have little to lose if I have to replace that hanger with the axle anyway.  I'll see if I can price the hanger early next week.

Thanks for your thoughts, thesmokingman.  It's useful to have another's views.

HS

Oh I finally remembered a tool that would be helpful in this instance. A soft metal wrench similar to a rc shock plier. The plier is soft alu so it will not damage the shock shaft. You can use the same concept to test your weld because you don't want to use normal pliers and risk scratching up or leaving teeth marks on the axle.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QCKU84/

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #162 of 440
Whitigir,

I used your link to find that seller on ebay, so now I have a good source for the cabling (thank you!). Would you use this same wire to do the internal wiring mod? Or do you suggest something different?

Can you give me some suggestions for which connectors to use and where to find them? I've been doing some reading and have been feeling overwhelmed with the amount of information that's out there and would love to benefit from your experience. I'd like to start with a replacement for the stock 3.5mm cable for use with mobile devices (12ft of cable is just too much to carry around), and later would like to make a set of balanced cables, too.

Thanks,
Sam

Go to Lavricables, he stock both "stranded pure silver" or "solid pure silver". I use solid pure silver as it is proven to be superior to my experiences and his as well. You can refer to him that e-matrix recommended him :)

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #163 of 440

Oh I finally remembered a tool that would be helpful in this instance. A soft metal wrench similar to a rc shock plier. The plier is soft alu so it will not damage the shock shaft. You can use the same concept to test your weld because you don't want to use normal pliers and risk scratching up or leaving teeth marks on the axle.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QCKU84/

The is a smart tool to have for various uses, tms.  Thank you!

Well, me being me I strong armed it yesterday afternoon.  Grabbed regular pliers and grabbed the mushroom headed end and got the axle to bite and with a bit of force either found the thread after the stripped portion or created a new one...LOL.  I figured if nothing else I can create the path for some JB Weld.  If it holds, then my boy is good.  If not, I'll have a run at it with a bit if JB in there.

Thanks again for the useful advice!  Much appreciated.

HS

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #164 of 440
Whitigir,

I used your link to find that seller on ebay, so now I have a good source for the cabling (thank you!). Would you use this same wire to do the internal wiring mod? Or do you suggest something different?

Can you give me some suggestions for which connectors to use and where to find them? I've been doing some reading and have been feeling overwhelmed with the amount of information that's out there and would love to benefit from your experience. I'd like to start with a replacement for the stock 3.5mm cable for use with mobile devices (12ft of cable is just too much to carry around), and later would like to make a set of balanced cables, too.

Thanks,
Sam

Yes, it is recommended to use these for the internal wiring as well. You can also try other if you would like to. Connectors could be either Neutrik or Oyaide or Furutech, they are priced accordingly to their quality. You can find them at "Moon-audio". They ship pretty quick on the same or next day.

Happy modding and enjoy :)

https://www.moon-audio.com/headphone-amplifiers-dacs/diy/connectors/headphone.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back