Sony MDR-Z1R In classical music

IS Sony MDR-Z1R suitable for classical music

• Total voters
Oct 2, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #121 of 214
If you love classical music and opera, go with AKG's flagship K812. HD800 may have more bass but cannot hold a wick to K812's lifelike details and clarity. K812 gives you front row seats in a concert (great for chamber music!), while HD800 puts you in Row P-W. I personally prefer the closer soundstage, and have owned AKG's for 30+ years of happy classical music listening. The K812 just puts a smile on my face every time.

I plan to audition the Sony Z1R soon and will post my impressions. I need a closed-back can for the bedroom.

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #122 of 214
If you love classical music and opera, go with AKG's flagship K812. HD800 may have more bass but cannot hold a wick to K812's lifelike details and clarity. K812 gives you front row seats in a concert (great for chamber music!), while HD800 puts you in Row P-W. I personally prefer the closer soundstage, and have owned AKG's for 30+ years of happy classical music listening. The K812 just puts a smile on my face every time.

I plan to audition the Sony Z1R soon and will post my impressions. I need a closed-back can for the bedroom.

FWIW, I think the K812 has more bass than the HD800. As far as closed headphones go, the Z1Rs are one of my top picks! Love my pair!

Oct 3, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #123 of 214
MacedonianHero, how would you compare the Sony Z1R to the Denon DH7200 ?? I'm intrested in knowing your opinion since I've found that many times I'm consistently aligned with your audio-sensations

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #124 of 214
Hello
Since I have a lot of experience with the HD800
And now the ZIR
The width of the stage depth and height is very impressive with the Z1R
Very close to the HD800

With all my reference discs on this subject.
Shostakovich Symphony No. 5 Bernard Hitnik with DECCA
Or Bernstein conducts Mahler's Symphony No. 4 of SONY 1960
This is just some examples.

I can say with certainty that the Z1R has this wonderful ability. 3D

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #125 of 214
MacedonianHero, how would you compare the Sony Z1R to the Denon DH7200 ?? I'm intrested in knowing your opinion since I've found that many times I'm consistently aligned with your audio-sensations

I got to hear the D7200s a month ago and really liked them. I'm so glad that Denon went back and corrected the blunder that was the DH7100. That said, the Z1Rs offer a substantially improved sound stage, better defined bass, more up front mids and a smoother overall presentation.

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #130 of 214
Honestly, I have never seen such diversity on such headphones and that so many threads being locked....and people still moving on to share experiences about it. The Z1R May be the only one that set such records

Funny how it's just a limited number of members who cause this? :wink:

Nov 17, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #133 of 214
Did that just happen again!? Haha dude~ some people just need to chill... I've followed the OG thread since it start and it is the 2nd jump now...

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #134 of 214
Resurrect from the dead :D

Soon I will get a pair of MDR-Z1R's my self. Like @SONYES i listen exclusively to classical music and have some decent Hi-res albums, roughly 4% of my collection rest 96% is CD quality flac

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #135 of 214
After listening to the Z7M2 I actually wish there's something that could combine the open atmosphere of the Z7M2 and the Z1R sound. The Z1R atmosphere is overwhelming at times and then you face a sudden "disappearance" of the soundstage; that feeling is tricky. Also the foam inside the Z1R earpads seem too soft for me so they stick to my cheeks like I can't get rid of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back