Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Feb 1, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #601 of 644
Got the fresh new another piece of 950bt. but it also rattles a little if i shake the left cup. well now it seems it is normal. 

i am using it while jogging and it is not sweat-proof. so is there any sweat-proof ear pad cushions available out there for xb950bt ?

I use my 850bt's as my gym headphones. I wash them right after a workout with a wet paper towel on the ear pads and headband, then follow up with a baby wipe on the entire headphone, pad as well. Finally, I allow them to air dry in my gym locker or bag before putting them back in their case.

Initially, I was working out with them and then immediately storing them in their case without washing for about 2 weeks before they started to stink. It took a vinegar cleaning and using/waiting out the vinegar smell for about 3 weeks before the sweaty smell went away.

I don't have any waterproof issues with normal workouts, running and lifting. I've modded them primarily by Dynamat damping, placing foam in the bass ports and adding some fibrous material to the inner enclosure to tame the bass and highs.

The bass tuning of this driver and the DSP for the bass boost is VERY aggressive making them fun for hip hop, EDM and rap but in stock form, but I don't think the bass boost is even usable because everything becomes very congested. I dampened mine fairly aggressively and I think even more will help. I think with more damping, the bass output from the driver alone might allow the bass boost to be useful, meaning remove as much bass amplification from the driver housing as possible. My goal would be a punchy bass headphone that when the bad boost was turned on would still be great for hip hop, rap and EDM. As these headphones are stock, the bass is way flabby and the mid bleed is extensive. Listening to guitar/bass/drum trios is a mess without damping.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #602 of 644
I use my 850bt's as my gym headphones. I wash them right after a workout with a wet paper towel on the ear pads and headband, then follow up with a baby wipe on the entire headphone, pad as well. Finally, I allow them to air dry in my gym locker or bag before putting them back in their case.

Initially, I was working out with them and then immediately storing them in their case without washing for about 2 weeks before they started to stink. It took a vinegar cleaning and using/waiting out the vinegar smell for about 3 weeks before the sweaty smell went away.

I don't have any waterproof issues with normal workouts, running and lifting. I've modded them primarily by Dynamat damping, placing foam in the bass ports and adding some fibrous material to the inner enclosure to tame the bass and highs.

The bass tuning of this driver and the DSP for the bass boost is VERY aggressive making them fun for hip hop, EDM and rap but in stock form, but I don't think the bass boost is even usable because everything becomes very congested. I dampened mine fairly aggressively and I think even more will help. I think with more damping, the bass output from the driver alone might allow the bass boost to be useful, meaning remove as much bass amplification from the driver housing as possible. My goal would be a punchy bass headphone that when the bad boost was turned on would still be great for hip hop, rap and EDM. As these headphones are stock, the bass is way flabby and the mid bleed is extensive. Listening to guitar/bass/drum trios is a mess without damping.

I did the dampening mod only. I did not cover any of the bass ports. Do you think simply dampening changes the quality of the bass as well as the amount with the boost off or on?

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #603 of 644
I did the dampening mod only. I did not cover any of the bass ports. Do you think simply dampening changes the quality of the bass as well as the amount with the boost off or on?

I did the damping mod and port covers at the same time. With all the plastic and chambers in this headphone, I can't imagine damping not helping. I damped the exterior chamber first and it wasn't enough, then I damped the interior, added the covers and fibers. Still not tight enough in my opinion. I'm gonna perform surgery again this weekend. I don't think this headphone had any risk of the bass being sucked out of its signature from these mods. I'll find out soon.

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #604 of 644
I did the damping mod and port covers at the same time. With all the plastic and chambers in this headphone, I can't imagine damping not helping. I damped the exterior chamber first and it wasn't enough, then I damped the interior, added the covers and fibers. Still not tight enough in my opinion. I'm gonna perform surgery again this weekend. I don't think this headphone had any risk of the bass being sucked out of its signature from these mods. I'll find out soon.

The dampening got rid of any resonance there may have been. I am concerned blocking the ports will change the tune of the bass. I don't want to lower the bass amount without boost on.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #605 of 644
The dampening got rid of any resonance there may have been. I am concerned blocking the ports will change the tune of the bass. I don't want to lower the bass amount without boost on.

I'll try it out and get back to you. It's completely reversible so no biggie. Are you referring to the ports under the gimbal or the vents from the inner to outer enclosure? Right now I'm using 1mm think foam to plug the ports under the gimbal and there's plenty of bass. I have no issues with the quantity, it's just the bleed into the mids that gets me.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #606 of 644
I'll try it out and get back to you. It's completely reversible so no biggie. Are you referring to the ports under the gimbal or the vents from the inner to outer enclosure? Right now I'm using 1mm think foam to plug the ports under the gimbal and there's plenty of bass. I have no issues with the quantity, it's just the bleed into the mids that gets me.

Both actually. I will mess with this this weekend and report back also. I will try partially blocking the port from inner enclosure to outer as shown in the mods.

FWIW, the XB950N1 coming out this spring will have adjustable bass via an app and noise cancellation. I am not sure to what level you can adjust, but that would be a welcome design.

I don't think it would have taken too much to make our bass boost adjustable via 3 levels-low, med and blow your brains out.

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #607 of 644
Both actually. I will mess with this this weekend and report back also. I will try partially blocking the port from inner enclosure to outer as shown in the mods.

FWIW, the XB950N1 coming out this spring will have adjustable bass via an app and noise cancellation. I am not sure to what level you can adjust, but that would be a welcome design.

I don't think it would have taken too much to make our bass boost adjustable via 3 levels-low, med and blow your brains out.

That sounds awesome but I hope the ANC doesn't mess up the sound or price! :) My hope is that if I dampen and seal enough, that bass would tighten up to give me more texture and still retain some slam AND not bleed into the mids. I don't even know if this driver is capable of that. Right now, I'm not sure if the driver lacks details in the mids (guitar/bass/some drums) or if the bass is just killing the clarity. I'm not expecting miracles, but I'd like a headphone that I can rock out some alternative, jazz, blues, rock, then hit the boost for rap, hip hop, EDM, Trance, etc.

Right I have more than enough bass without boost and perhaps too much with the boost.

Someone commented why buy bassy headphones to remove the bass but the way I see it, it's easier to reduce bass than to make it appear from no where. With what can you make bass? Pads or porting I think would be the only options or changing the cup dimensions/material which isn't an option for me. So I guess I'd rather try taming the beast/bass!

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #608 of 644
Hi,

I purchased used one at cheap price and love the sound without base boost :)
The best headphone ever for me!

It didn't come with 3.5 mm aux cable so I modified existing cable to fit into the headphone and it works with my old computer that doesn't have bluetooth.
However, the sound is mono no matter how I wiggle.
One day, I put the usb charging cable while I'm listening to something from my computer and suddenly I can hear stereo!
Anyone has this experience?
It sort of works but the charging cable makes noise.
Should I buy sony's cable to make it perfect or is this something about the headphone itself?

Thanks,
Terry

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #609 of 644
That sounds awesome but I hope the ANC doesn't mess up the sound or price! :) My hope is that if I dampen and seal enough, that bass would tighten up to give me more texture and still retain some slam AND not bleed into the mids. I don't even know if this driver is capable of that. Right now, I'm not sure if the driver lacks details in the mids (guitar/bass/some drums) or if the bass is just killing the clarity. I'm not expecting miracles, but I'd like a headphone that I can rock out some alternative, jazz, blues, rock, then hit the boost for rap, hip hop, EDM, Trance, etc.

Right I have more than enough bass without boost and perhaps too much with the boost.

Someone commented why buy bassy headphones to remove the bass but the way I see it, it's easier to reduce bass than to make it appear from no where. With what can you make bass? Pads or porting I think would be the only options or changing the cup dimensions/material which isn't an option for me. So I guess I'd rather try taming the beast/bass!

I agree. Taming the bass is much easier than creating it. I think the more I listen to bass heavy headphones the more I like them. When I go back to a flatter headphone it sounds like something is missing.

Hi,

I purchased used one at cheap price and love the sound without base boost :)
The best headphone ever for me!

It didn't come with 3.5 mm aux cable so I modified existing cable to fit into the headphone and it works with my old computer that doesn't have bluetooth.
However, the sound is mono no matter how I wiggle.
One day, I put the usb charging cable while I'm listening to something from my computer and suddenly I can hear stereo!
Anyone has this experience?
It sort of works but the charging cable makes noise.
Should I buy sony's cable to make it perfect or is this something about the headphone itself?

Thanks,
Terry

I think it's the cable. If the plug is not long enough or seating correctly like the OEM sony, it will be mono.

I looked at the plug ends on the OEM Sony cable and a different audio cable, the shaft is the same length, but the the base needs to be so narrow as to go into the headphone chasis.

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #610 of 644
Thanks for the response!

That's exactly what I did with my cable, cut out the rubber part and grind the base with Dremel and taped to make it go into the opening like the pic here, https://goo.gl/photos/5uwrtGJ9KroXJVN39.
I think the 3.5 mm plug spec should be same for all including Sony one and only difference is the narrow base.
The modified plug should work if that's the case, right?

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #611 of 644
  Thanks for the response!

That's exactly what I did with my cable, cut out the rubber part and grind the base with Dremel and taped to make it go into the opening like the pic here, https://goo.gl/photos/5uwrtGJ9KroXJVN39.
I think the 3.5 mm plug spec should be same for all including Sony one and only difference is the narrow base.
The modified plug should work if that's the case, right?

It should in theory. The sony plug has a tiny lip near the base that may be needed for a good connection. https://s27.postimg.org/6plyz6t0j/Full_Size_Render_22.jpg

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #612 of 644
Can anyone comment on how much the 950s leak sound? I've read reviews on Amazon, and I've seen totally opposite views. Some say it's minimal except for very very loud volumes, and others say they leak tons of sound. So who's correct? Thanks in advance.

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #614 of 644
I would say the former. Considering this is Amazon we're talking about, the latter might be judging leakage when it is off their head.

Having tested around 20 pairs of the very best Bluetooth cans I'd say the XB950's are one of the very best for leakage as well as being the most comfortable of all! Until recently they were my favourite cans until I discovered both the Onkyo H500BT's and the B&W P7's, both of which have much better mids while still giving some deep bass! They're no where near as comfy as the Sony's though and definitely leak more noise!

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #615 of 644
Having tested around 20 pairs of the very best Bluetooth cans I'd say the XB950's are one of the very best for leakage as well as being the most comfortable of all! Until recently they were my favourite cans until I discovered both the Onkyo H500BT's and the B&W P7's, both of which have much better mids while still giving some deep bass! They're no where near as comfy as the Sony's though and definitely leak more noise!

Just to add, the P7's don't leak much themselves but more than the Sonys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back