Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Mar 6, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #617 of 644
I have the wired version of these cans and I have a bit of Dynamat lying around. Would the bass improve if I performed the mod on these? 

Definitely helps if you want to tighten it up and stop done bleed into the mids. I used dynamat sparingly at first but feel I need to apply another god amount as the bad is just all over the place.

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #618 of 644
New versions seems to be out earlier than anticipated and already out and sold out on Amazon! Bestbuy still has 'em though!

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Wireless-Cancelling-Headphone-MDRXB950N1/dp/B01MUGEYT7/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489436596&sr=1-3&keywords=XB950N1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-xb950n1-extra-bass-wireless-noise-cancelling-over-the-ear-headphones-black/5739303.p?skuId=5739303

Looking forward to reviews before I order them internationally :)

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #619 of 644
Like many others, I find the bass too much on these and the bass boost unusable.  If I use EQ I can get the sound more acceptable.  And as others have said it does sound better wired over wireless.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #620 of 644
After using them for awhile.. they seem to sound a lot better. I noticed the bass changes depending on how the earmuffs are seated on your ears. I find that the "rock" equalizer on my 7 plus makes it sound perfect.

May 5, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #622 of 644
I use these some hours everyday. I opened them up to see if the battery could potentially be replaced. It appears it can be removed, although not easily and who knows if a replacement could be found.

May 10, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #624 of 644
I have had these for a few months now. I can only wear them for maybe an hour at a time because I do not like the pads on them. All the cans I have, I have replaced the pads with some velour ones to make them more comfy. The cushion itself isn't bad but the leather like stuff causes it to be uncomfortable.

I have these on my ATHM50 and they make wearing the cans for 4+ hours easy. Wish there was something similar for the 950BTs
https://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC9...F8&qid=1494413991&sr=8-2&keywords=velour+pads

Jul 14, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #625 of 644
I just got the Sony's today from the Amazon Prime sale for $98. I also got a pair of MEE audio Matrix 2 headphones for $38! So far I really don't like the sound of the Sony, they are muffled/murky and weird sounding even with the bass boost off. And the difference between wired and Bluetooth is very pronounced (in favor of wired), but I still don't like them wired. So far I MUCH prefer the sound of the MEEs, they might sound a bit rough in the highs (which might be tamed some by break in), they have bass, but not as strong as the Sony's obviously.

I bought these phones to work with my Nvidia Shield Android TV device to watch movies and play games. I thought a bass heavy phone would be a plus in this scenario. So we will see how they do for that application.

Does anyone know if Sony included active noise cancellation in this new version of the phone, it's listed as a 2017 version. I don't see any mention of this on Sony's website, but some people mentioned it on here. I generally hate the sound of noise cancellation, so that could be why I don't like it.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #626 of 644
Like many others, I find the bass too much on these and the bass boost unusable. If I use EQ I can get the sound more acceptable. And as others have said it does sound better wired over wireless.
I find them better sounding with the bass boost on but I like my bass deep and hard hitting. My EQ options are limited to presests which can't make every headphon/speaker acceptable sounding to me

I use sony xb70bt but plan on getting these someday

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #627 of 644
After having these for a couple months I have to say, once EQ'd they are much more bearable, but today I just picked up a pair of Bose QC35's and wow what a difference in every single aspect. So Ill be selling my Sony MDR-XB950BT's. Not much need for them IMO after upgrading.

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #628 of 644
I have had a pair of these for a while... For what they are to me, $99 bucks on Black Friday, they're terrific. Great battery, great range, comfortable, decent sounding - I replaced my old Sony X10s with these due to them having a very similar bass-centric sound and they were BT. I since retired these to our bedroom where I only use them for movie watching connected to my Nvidia Shield TV, which is a great partnership for them. I upgraded to some vmoda CF wireless, and there was an adjustment but I was ultimately happier with the CFW's more powerful yet fairly articulate sound. As others have said the bass boost button is unusable for me.

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #629 of 644
After having these for a couple months I have to say, once EQ'd they are much more bearable, but today I just picked up a pair of Bose QC35's and wow what a difference in every single aspect. So Ill be selling my Sony MDR-XB950BT's. Not much need for them IMO after upgrading.
How do you compare the comfort of QC35 to MDRXB950BT? for me the QC35 is comfortable but not super comfortable so i was thinking may be the big cushions of the sony feels better? what do you think?

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #630 of 644
How do you compare the comfort of QC35 to MDRXB950BT? for me the QC35 is comfortable but not super comfortable so i was thinking may be the big cushions of the sony feels better? what do you think?
Yep, I owned both for a bit. Just sold the MDRXB950BT and still have the QC35. IMO the QC35's are in a whole different world. Better in every single way. They offer more features, feel way better on my head, are lighter in weight, sound infinitely better and looks better too. BUT they cost A WHOLE lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back