Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Dec 26, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #587 of 644
Oh and the range, will I be able to use them around my apartment?
The build quality seems okay but the hinge would break eventually I would imagine if your really rough with them. I listen to mine like 6 hours + each day but I always place them on my table. I'm not rough with them so I know they will last for me. Range seems okay. I haven't tested it far far but I left my phone in the kitchen and walked to the living room which is on the other side of the house ,didn't lose range.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #588 of 644
Hi all!

I just purchased these headphones.

1. How do I know if Bass Boost is on when using AUX? No LED's are active when using wired connection.
1A. Does wired connection automatically turns on bass boost?

2. Blue tooth connection is NOT as loud or clear as wired. It's night and day. Wired, I get 40% (just a rough estimate) more sound and 70% more clearer sound.
2A. Can this be because priority is set to stable connection? I have three blue blinks when hitting power + up button.

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #589 of 644
Hi all!

I just purchased these headphones.

1. How do I know if Bass Boost is on when using AUX? No LED's are active when using wired connection.
1A. Does wired connection automatically turns on bass boost?

2. Blue tooth connection is NOT as loud or clear as wired. It's night and day. Wired, I get 40% (just a rough estimate) more sound and 70% more clearer sound.
2A. Can this be because priority is set to stable connection? I have three blue blinks when hitting power + up button.

Somewhere in the thread I remember reading that bass boost doesn't work when using the headphone in wired mode. I only use them in BT mode so I never confirmed. Don't know about your other inquiries.

I do know I did the Bill P mods and I can now use the bass boost. Before it was just a congested mess in my opinion. I feel I can listen to guitar centric alternative and then switch to hop hop/EDM and kick on the boost. The boost on these, even with the damping mods is pretty drastic. I wish I could close the gap a little without EQ but I don't want to dampen the bass anymore when not using the boost.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #590 of 644
hi guys, i got mine new 950bt 4days ago. loving its sound (without bass boost). but not happy with the muddy bass boost feature. 

i have a doubt and i will be thankful if someone can clear it.

Music sound is loud and clear no problem in that but When i shake these headphones, the left side makes some noise like something is shaking inside. for example if i wear them and then jump and jump, while no song is playing, the left cane makes some sound. if i hold them and shake i can hear clearly the sound coming from left cane ( on which bass boost button is).
is it normal or my pair is faulty ? i ordered from snapdeal and i still can replace them for free if its faulty. can someone please guide ?

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #591 of 644
hi guys, i got mine new 950bt 4days ago. loving its sound (without bass boost). but not happy with the muddy bass boost feature. 

i have a doubt and i will be thankful if someone can clear it.

Music sound is loud and clear no problem in that but When i shake these headphones, the left side makes some noise like something is shaking inside. for example if i wear them and then jump and jump, while no song is playing, the left cane makes some sound. if i hold them and shake i can hear clearly the sound coming from left cane ( on which bass boost button is).
is it normal or my pair is faulty ? i ordered from snapdeal and i still can replace them for free if its faulty. can someone please guide ?

IMO, the bass boost is useless stock. I would do all Bill P's dampening mods shown earlier in this thread to make it useful. Even with the mods, these headphones are plenty bassy but at least now the bass boost is somewhat useful.

As for the noise, does the headphone make noise when no music is playing or does it only make noise when music is playing? Trying to rule out something mechanically loose. On the bass boost side, there are two small tabs that if they got loose may rattle around. I forgot how they went in so during my last mod, I left them out. I would take images as you take them apart just in case.

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #592 of 644
The rattle sound occur on left can, no matter sound is playing or not, but i am required to pause the music sound to notice it. 

thanks for the reply mate. By reading your reply it seems some part inside it is loose and is rattling around and its not normal. so i will replace them soon. thanks alot.

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #595 of 644
How much bass does the square piece of foam inserted into the exterior bass port block?

Not much in my opinion, you need to do internal damping mods and possibly plug the port with something less permeable. The drivers on these phones are bad tuned and even with most of BillP's mods they are bass heavy. I was a little concerned at first that I would over dampen them but I don't think that's the case. I need to open mine back up and do something more extensive so that the bass boost is more useful and so I can play something besides hip hop, rap and edm with these, particularly alternative or rock.

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #596 of 644
Not much in my opinion, you need to do internal damping mods and possibly plug the port with something less permeable. The drivers on these phones are bad tuned and even with most of BillP's mods they are bass heavy. I was a little concerned at first that I would over dampen them but I don't think that's the case. I need to open mine back up and do something more extensive so that the bass boost is more useful and so I can play something besides hip hop, rap and edm with these, particularly alternative or rock.

Thanks. I also have the XB650BT-these have more bass that the 950's without the boost turned on.

I like the amount of bass of the 950's without the boost, hopefully the dampening will improve the mids and highs.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #598 of 644
Got the fresh new another piece of 950bt. but it also rattles a little if i shake the left cup. well now it seems it is normal. 

i am using it while jogging and it is not sweat-proof. so is there any sweat-proof ear pad cushions available out there for xb950bt ?

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #599 of 644
  Got the fresh new another piece of 950bt. but it also rattles a little if i shake the left cup. well now it seems it is normal. 

i am using it while jogging and it is not sweat-proof. so is there any sweat-proof ear pad cushions available out there for xb950bt ?

The rattle comes from the bass boost button. It has quite a bit of play. You may be able to open up that side and tape it down a little bit some how.

I couldn't find any foam pads online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back