Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Oct 30, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #571 of 644
Just got a pair of these and I have to say, maybe I need some burn in time but right off the bat they sound terrible. The bass is just way more than I thought even "Extra Bass" heavy headphone would be. Who likes so much emphasis on the lows like this?! And I do like me some bass but this just sounds low quality. Maybe I've just been spoiled by my other headphones setups. I have been playing with some EQ settings where available and maybe I'll try the mod/fix mentioned in this thread but so far I'm just not sure.

These will improve with the mod, but in my opinion the EQ is all you need. Bring more sub bass, lower the midbass (which will bring out the mids) and raise the highs a bit. 
At stock I hear what you are saying, they just need tweaking. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #573 of 644
These will improve with the mod, but in my opinion the EQ is all you need. Bring more sub bass, lower the midbass (which will bring out the mids) and raise the highs a bit. 
At stock I hear what you are saying, they just need tweaking. 

Can you let us know what tool/player you use and the EQ settings you ended up liking? I gave mine to my son last year. He loves hip/hop, bass, etc. and uses them all the time. They were a little too bass dominant for me which is weird because I really like their MDR-XB90EX IEMs.

Anyway, I feel like they have potential and are a solid product for the money. So...I'm thinking of picking a pair up again ($89.99 at BB)...if I can get a slightly more balanced signature out of them without modding.

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #575 of 644
Can you let us know what tool/player you use and the EQ settings you ended up liking? I gave mine to my son last year. He loves hip/hop, bass, etc. and uses them all the time. They were a little too bass dominant for me which is weird because I really like their MDR-XB90EX IEMs.

Anyway, I feel like they have potential and are a solid product for the money. So...I'm thinking of picking a pair up again ($89.99 at BB)...if I can get a slightly more balanced signature out of them without modding.

Any full EQ will work if you want to get the most out of it. The stock EQ on phones are very basic, but reducing the midbass is all you need for more balance. I would raise the highs as well.

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #576 of 644
Yeah...on my phone, the stock player EQ is 5 bands. I was thinking that you might be using more bands and/or parametric.

Checked out my USB Audio Player PRO app and it has a 10 band equalizer and also has a Parametric EQ if I want/need to go there. Think I'll pick them back up and see If I can make them sing...good thanksgiving day project and $89 is $10 less than I paid last time. :D

BTW...below is an FR chart I found.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #578 of 644
I apologize if this has been mentioned in this thread, but has anyone tried to use some velour ear pads on these headphones? If so, which ones fit? and does it improve or worsen the sound quality? 

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #580 of 644
  Just received my pair and they dont seem to have alot of bass ..do i need to burn them in or? i am using my laptop in Bluetooth mode with them.

That's strange.
Does it sound the same on other devices?
Have you tried it wired? They should sound the same.
Perhaps you got a dud.

As for burn-in, just don't believe in that old audiophile meme.

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #581 of 644

That's strange.
Does it sound the same on other devices?
Have you tried it wired? They should sound the same.
Perhaps you got a dud.

As for burn-in, just don't believe in that old audiophile meme.

I just tried them on my 6s plus and they sound the same. I think im just use to harsh rumbling bass that i got from using viper4android on my old phone. I did try wired and doesnt have bass like bluetooth since i use the bass boost.

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #582 of 644
Hello all.

I am looking to buy a pair of these XB950BT's, and figured I could save some money by buying a pair with a broken headband. Do you know if you could remove the clips from the ear cups and use a different headband for these?

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #583 of 644
And then... apply a piece of dynamat to the bottom of the inner enclosure, then instead of the foam piece on top of the driver, use the liner material again instead. And then cut out 2 small pieces of wool felt to slot into the top and bottom openings like so:

Don't know if you still real this thread @Bill-P but how did you adhere the shelf liner to the back of the driver and the inner cavity opposite the driver? Seems like these pieces would get loose and move around. Did you use any adhesive?

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #585 of 644
Hey everyone, hope this thread is still alive. Currently contemplating getting the MDR XB950BT's but I have one concern. 
How's the build quality? Would they last for a few years with no rough use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back