Sony MDR-XB500 vs AKG K518DJ vs Sennheiser HD-428
Sep 21, 2012 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thanp

New Head-Fier
I would like some opinions about these headphones. I want to buy one of them for watching movies on my macbook pro.
I tried the sony mdr-xb500 and i really liked them...nice sound very good bass.

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 6
The AKG's are great if you need isolation, but they aren't very comfortable. I think they'd probably be okay for smaller heads, but for bigger heads, the headband really digs in. After about an hour of this it gets to be too much.

The XB500's are a solid choice for movies though. Since you've used them, I don't think I have to tell you how comfortable they are.
wink_face.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for your reply!
What is your opinion about Superlux HD-668 B? Some people suggest this model to me but i don't know if they compare the sony xb500.
I like the shape and that it has a removable cable...but i haven't tried them and i can't find them in a local store, so if they worth it i will order them online.

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 6
The HD668 and HD428s aren't really for everybody. The sound is decidedly lean, and while that fairs well for clarity, beginners may feel underwhelmed by the lack of body. You say you liked the XB500s, so if you think the bass wasn't overbearing, you would do well to cross the above two headphones off your list. The K518DJ are a bit more substantial in the low end, like the XB500s but still not as much bass. I personally didn't like them, but I know many who do. Are you open to any other recommendations for other headphones, or are you limited to the following? Have you read ljokerl's portable shootout yet? What is your budget? What do you listen to/out of? What do you look for in terms of sound signatures? 

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the information TwinQY!
My budget is about 50 dollars but if there is a very nice headphone i am willing to give e bit more.
I really enjoyed the bass of the sony's :wink: I will use them mostly for movies on my macbook pro and music.
I saw the Numark Red Wave on the internet before a while: http://www.thomann.de/gr/numark_redwave.htm and i really like the design and the specs are good i think. What do you think about them?
I am really a beginner in this section...

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #6 of 6
Never heard the Numarks before. I haven't really heard many bassier sub-$50 models. But many of my gaming friends enjoy the Creative Aurvana Live!, they're also pretty well regarded here as well. Comfort is slightly above average, not very isolating if that's a factor, and from what I heard in the few minutes I got with them was a nice warm sound with solid bass quantity. V-Moda LP2s can sometimes go pretty cheap as well, though it'd slightly be above budget. They have plenty bass to satisfy any basshead, really. XB500s are also really good for what they do, and since you heard and liked them, I see no reason why not to get them. Maybe try to demo a couple more cans to get a better grasp of what sound signature you might enjoy before splurging for a bassy set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back