Sony MDR-XB1000, My
Apr 17, 2011 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Frasier900

New Head-Fier
I'm real new to the whole audiophile thing and I'm just amazed on how big this community is! 

I'm really interested in buying a good pair of headphones for the first time. I'm a HUGE bass head and i really enjoy electronic music like Dubstep. The XB-1000`s really caught my attention! Ive read about every thread out there about them and they seem perfect from what i have seen. I`m 16 and still in high school, so i`m surrounded by those skullcandies and Dre. Beats, and i just sigh because i`m pretty sure their a waste of money (price to performance ratio).  

I really want these headphones, but i have a couple questions.

1. Should i wait until their released in Canada if they even are for that fact?
2. Is a headphone amp a must? Iv`e heard their not necessary but it offers a huge improvement
3. Are these a good pair to start my journey into the depths of the audiophile world? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!
dt880smile.png

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 25
1. No. Just import a pair. When they do land in Canada, it'll probably be at an exorbitant MSRP.
2. No. The improvement is not as much as you think, and you'll still enjoy the headphones.
3. Yes. A thousand times yes.

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 25
maybe get the Sony MDR-XB700s and see if you like them.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 25
There are quite a few threads about the XB1000's try the search function.

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 25
To be honest, I'd wait until they're available at a US retailer. What I did with my XB700s is wait until they're available in Canada, go to the Sony Store and show a sales rep how an online US retailer which ships to Canada has it for cheaper (forgot which one I used to be honest) and they matched the price if I bought them on the spot (mind you, this was about a week after they were released in Canada and they cost $200 CDN with tax and I was able to get them for $150 with tax. Right now, the XB1000s are extremely overpriced because of their limited availability.

By the way, anyone wanna buy a pair of XB700s, practically in mint condition (I take care of my stuff)? :p I need MOAR BASS (aka XB1000s)!! :D

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #8 of 25

Quote:
By the way, anyone wanna buy a pair of XB700s, practically in mint condition (I take care of my stuff)? :p I need MOAR BASS (aka XB1000s)!! :D

From what I've read, XB1000 has a little less bass. 

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #9 of 25
You will need a clean/powerful amp to get the most out of it.  I've tired mine with several amps and found that my Lehmann Audio Black Cube Liner sounds BEST with it.  I'm not saying you need an expensive amp like the BCL, but to get the most impact and deep bass you will need a good amp.

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #10 of 25
The Ultrasone headphones are good for these genres with powerful bass and Klipsch Image ONE is decent closed headphone with big punchy bass.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 25
I read your comparison of the XB700 vs. XB1000 in the thread you made and I still can't figure out which pair is better. From what I understand, the XB700 has more pronounced and "in-your-face" bass while the XB1000 has more detail (and more neutral sound?). Correct me if I'm wrong. 90% of the time I listen to electronic music (trance, house, etc.) so this is what I'd be using my headphones for most of the time.

Quote:
You will need a clean/powerful amp to get the most out of it.  I've tired mine with several amps and found that my Lehmann Audio Black Cube Liner sounds BEST with it.  I'm not saying you need an expensive amp like the BCL, but to get the most impact and deep bass you will need a good amp.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #12 of 25
I read your comparison of the XB700 vs. XB1000 in the thread you made and I still can't figure out which pair is better. From what I understand, the XB700 has more pronounced and "in-your-face" bass while the XB1000 has more detail (and more neutral sound?). Correct me if I'm wrong. 90% of the time I listen to electronic music (trance, house, etc.) so this is what I'd be using my headphones for most of the time.

I like the XB1000 for those types of music. I say that because the XB1000 has a wide soundstage and it gave me a sense of space. All the different sounds from electronic music puts you in the middle of the party. That's how I feel when I use the XB1000.

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 25
get the 1000 from (Accessory jack..id get em from him..it only took me 2 days to get them for 10 bucks more)...1000 sound the best to me..still dunno which amp to get either for them if any at all..i need one portable i got the E5 and it doesn't sound like my mini system does..so I'm looking to recreate the sound my headphones get from my Lil 250w stereo Sony system..ive been roamed the city with them on public transit this weekend they held up nicely..didnt even make my ears sweat tor anything like that like i thought they would have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back