Sony MDR-XB1000, My
Apr 30, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #16 of 25

Quote:
To be honest, I'd wait until they're available at a US retailer. What I did with my XB700s is wait until they're available in Canada, go to the Sony Store and show a sales rep how an online US retailer which ships to Canada has it for cheaper (forgot which one I used to be honest) and they matched the price if I bought them on the spot (mind you, this was about a week after they were released in Canada and they cost $200 CDN with tax and I was able to get them for $150 with tax. Right now, the XB1000s are extremely overpriced because of their limited availability.

By the way, anyone wanna buy a pair of XB700s, practically in mint condition (I take care of my stuff)? :p I need MOAR BASS (aka XB1000s)!! :D

You have a pair of XB700 and you need more bass...is there something wrong with you? Do you have no feeling in your face?

May 1, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:
I`m 16 and still in high school, so i`m surrounded by those skullcandies and Dre. Beats, and i just sigh because i`m pretty sure their a waste of money (price to performance ratio).  

If I were you I would buy the Sony XB500s for $50 and watch the school copy my taste in style and headphones. I haven't heard the XB1000s but chances are they aren't far from XB500s which are fantastic for D&B and all other bass-dominant music. 
basshead.gif

May 1, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #18 of 25
 Just ordered a pair of 1000's. I'll compare them to my Denon AH-D1100's when I get them. I used to own the XB700's but got rid of them and now regret it, but now I'm getting my Xtra Bass back.
dt880smile.png

May 2, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #20 of 25
Haha, I was kidding. I do love the bass response on the XB700s, you can turn them up and they still sound crisp and there's no distortion. The problem with that is your hearing of course.

However, sometimes I wish they had a wider soundstage so when I close my eyes, I can feel like I'm actually in the club surrounded by the music which is what the XB1000 seem to offer. It just seems I'm gonna have to sacrifice some of that sweet, sweet bass for the soundstage.

Quote:
You have a pair of XB700 and you need more bass...is there something wrong with you? Do you have no feeling in your face?

May 2, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #21 of 25
I think it's the opposite, with forward headphones IMO the music sounds more centered around you while with laid-back headphones with greater soundstage it just sounds like the music is not centered around you, like you'd sit in the crowd when listening to a concert. XB500 has very forward sound and sounds like you're even "on stage" with the band and music is surrounding you, I didn't get that feeling with D1100 or DT770 Pro at all which is a bit laid-back sounding with clear instrument separation and good soundstage for a closed bassy headphone, sounded like music was always a bit in front of me as there were some distance to the music.

If you really want to hear the difference clearly between forward and laid-back sound then compare XB1000 vs XB500 as they both seems to be very far from each other in this regard, XB1000 being very laid-back sounding and XB500 being very forward sounding. XB700 is more in the middle, maybe a bit closer to XB500 forward sound but not too severely.

May 2, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #22 of 25
The XB700s also have a more cooperative right angle mini stereo plug, where the XB1000s have a straight plug /w 1/4" adaptor.  I like right angle with DAPs...

May 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #23 of 25

Hi, im new to the audiophile world and just bought a great pair of Sony XB1000 yesterday. (Yes the princess leia headphones)

It was recommended because i needed it for home PC use. I work from home so i use them hours at a time and they needed to be comfortable, and these guys are so comfy its not funny. Another must have for me is the Bass, which the XB1000 takes care of very well too.

I got some basic portable headphone amp and thats what im not happy about. I don't need a portable amp since im having them for home use ONLY. I want a proper amp that looks nice (maybe have some valves stickin out) and can be adjusted easily (bigger volume dials, on/off buttons etc) and of course has a proper AC power.

The most important factor is that the amp has to have some sort of Bass control. For this particular headphone amp, the GoVibe Vulcan+, it has a many adjustment controls such as : treble, OHM (to put more power i guess for better sound), impotence, Bass and something that looks like ((( ))) (has something to do with increasing the size of a virtual room or something ._.) I use max bass, the Ω and the ((( ))).

Since the amps make the "subwoofer volume" in the headphones greater than the "regular speaker volume", when i adjust the master volume dial on the amp, the bass seems very strong. Maybe someone can help me out with a proper amp that has these properties, I'm worried if i get one without these bass settings i might not get the same "subwoofer volume in the headphones greater than the    regular speaker volume" effect. My budget is around $1250 USD, of course trying to save as much money here.

Sorry if i made any mistakes feel free to flame for my noobiness lo 
basshead.gif

May 3, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #24 of 25
I would never spend more on an amp than the actual headphones themselves, but that's just me. With a budget like that, I would get some LCD-2's. which alot of people believe is the best headphones money can buy.

May 10, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #25 of 25

Quote:
I read your comparison of the XB700 vs. XB1000 in the thread you made and I still can't figure out which pair is better. From what I understand, the XB700 has more pronounced and "in-your-face" bass while the XB1000 has more detail (and more neutral sound?). Correct me if I'm wrong. 90% of the time I listen to electronic music (trance, house, etc.) so this is what I'd be using my headphones for most of the time.

Yup..  the XB1000's seem to look more..  subtle..  more neutral....    and very tame...

NOT!!!

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back