Sony MDR-XB1000 is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. WHAT????
Apr 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #46 of 69

Quote:
I wish they would offer leather pillows. Man the comfort on these things are amazing.
Dragonpiss you should mod those 1000's pillows to the grado's.

I'm so done with the tires on my head they aren't nice around the neck at all however any headphones with the xb-1000 earpads would gain immunity status since the huge pads literally cushion the fall  [size=medium]
(•‿•)
I'm doing a lot of research on the grado mods and holy crap there's a ton of information 0_0 
If a driver dies, what would most likely be the issue anyways? I took apart the cans and took a bunch of pics if anyone is interested in the project​
[/size]
 (btw is IRC still active?)

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #47 of 69

Quote:

I'm so done with the tires on my head they aren't nice around the neck at all however any headphones with the xb-1000 earpads would gain immunity status since the huge pads literally cushion the fall  [size=medium]
(•‿•)
I'm doing a lot of research on the grado mods and holy crap there's a ton of information 0_0 
If a driver dies, what would most likely be the issue anyways? I took apart the cans and took a bunch of pics if anyone is interested in the project​
[/size]

Not really answering your question but I see you have Beyer pics. You not super cushions aren't the only way for comfort. Big pads that just "rest" on your head like the Beyer's(oh jeez these were good) or the Q701's(oh jeez these are even better) are also ways for comfort..granted I know what you mean as I am an XB500 owner. 

May 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #48 of 69
So, any status update from Sony about the XB 1000's? Will they start produce the MDR-XB 1000's again? I placed a order on a sony retailer here in Norway, but can see that the delivery date is moved forward every month.

Need some bassy head-phones for my deep/soulful-house listning sessions, and after what i have read, the XB-1000's will be more than perfect for that task 

dt880smile.png

May 22, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #51 of 69
(•‿•)

[/size]

I'm interested. Please post. :)

May 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #52 of 69
LOL now I want the XB1000 just because they are ending. But I always do have a soft spot for the this XB series ever since I've tried the XB500 and XB700 both in stores and my friends'. Besides, the XB1000 jsut looks gorgeous with that subtle detailing and dat pillows.

May 23, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #54 of 69
Quote:
LOL now I want the XB1000 just because they are ending. But I always do have a soft spot for the this XB series ever since I've tried the XB500 and XB700 both in stores and my friends'. Besides, the XB1000 jsut looks gorgeous with that subtle detailing and dat pillows.

It's really comfortable to use, but you'll notice the weight after a while. I think the most comfortable of the 3 would be the XB700 - not too heavy, and the pillows are big and fluffy enough to settle around your ears.

It's a shame the XB1000 is being discontinued. If Sony had dropped the pricetag on them, I'm sure they'd sell well.

May 23, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #55 of 69
It's bad enough that I just spent quite a sum of money recently, and now i'm contemplating these babies lol. Hopefully I don't find one used that I deem "cheap enough". Just womdering though, between the xb700 and thexb1k, are the mids better than the xb500. I know that the xb line is a basshead can, but still. once in a blue moon I just felt like I need more bass, but not at the expense of the other spectrum. for the record, I cant like the xb500 just becuase it sacrifice the others too much for my taste.

May 23, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #56 of 69
Quote:
It's bad enough that I just spent quite a sum of money recently, and now i'm contemplating these babies lol. Hopefully I don't find one used that I deem "cheap enough". Just womdering though, between the xb700 and thexb1k, are the mids better than the xb500. I know that the xb line is a basshead can, but still. once in a blue moon I just felt like I need more bass, but not at the expense of the other spectrum. for the record, I cant like the xb500 just becuase it sacrifice the others too much for my taste.

The XB1000 has a more forward mid range relative to the XB700 and 500, which are about equal. I wouldn't recommend the XB700 as it is quite similar to its smaller sibling. If you EQ or bass boost the XB1000, it will retain better clarity than its younger siblings whilst enhancing the impact and attack of the low end.

May 23, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #57 of 69
Quote:

The XB1000 has a more forward mid range relative to the XB700 and 500, which are about equal. I wouldn't recommend the XB700 as it is quite similar to its smaller sibling. If you EQ or bass boost the XB1000, it will retain better clarity than its younger siblings whilst enhancing the impact and attack of the low end.

Ahh that sounds like a good compromise. Now hoping that the Sony Style stores back home still carry them. If not, I'd just have to shoot relatively blind and rely on my untrustworthy memory of the XB500 and XB700 LOL.

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #58 of 69
Quote:
Why? Both XB500 and XB1000 are interesting headphones although I can understand in case XB1000 is being withdrawn as it's clear at this point it won't be any popular headphone and a special 70 mm driver headphone would almost require to become a hit to be worth having it in the market for the higher production costs/make up for the R&D costs etc.

However I have a hard time seeing XB500 being withdrawn, I think it's more down to Sony not being able to supply as many XB500 as there is demand for so they are just constantly running out of stock everywhere, seems to be among the very most popular headphones these days, so yea XB1000 I can see why it would be withdrawn but the other XB headphones no sane company would withdraw from production anytime soon due to how much they are selling of them.

If I was Sony I'd even introduce a "refreshed" lineup, call it either XB400, XB600, XB800 or XB1300, XB1500, XB1700 with more similar design as XB1000 and maybe some minor tweaks to frequency response and charge like 30~$50 more for every model, there's a lot more potential cash to make from the "Xtra Bass" series. Imagine a XB500 sized but XB1000 design, sold at $80~90 (street pricing at least) and minor tweaks to sound quality, that would sell like hotcakes. The more solid material of XB1000 would probably be enough to make quite an improvement to the bass of XB500 already (the cup is very thin aluminium shell which vibrates like crazy (resonance in the bass, lack of tightness).

I like your idea hahaha and the price some way above XB 700 but lower than XB 1000 !!!
I believe it will be a great hit !!!

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #59 of 69
Quote:
So, any status update from Sony about the XB 1000's? Will they start produce the MDR-XB 1000's again? I placed a order on a sony retailer here in Norway, but can see that the delivery date is moved forward every month.

Need some bassy head-phones for my deep/soulful-house listning sessions, and after what i have read, the XB-1000's will be more than perfect for that task 

dt880smile.png

Did you get a hold of the XB1000's? I ordered a new set from Siba, coming in the main tomorrow I think :)
I think it was about 1690 Kr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back