Sony MDR-XB1000 is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. WHAT????
Mar 31, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #31 of 69

Quote:
And I still stand by my opinion that the Sony XB series have that obscenely comfortable feel to them :)

Unfortunately I can't really go with IEMs or buds in general, I just love some full sized cans (no pun intended).

Well, you would be more satisfied with carrying the E17 around, even if your cans don't really need the added driving power to sound adequate.

They are pretty godly. After a while they just settle in and I forgot how comfortable they are. You know what I mean? It's when you take it off and put it back on..is when it happens. The pads just sink into your ears and it just engulfs them.I do it sooo often just for those seconds of that feeling :)

I didn't realize the pun until you told me and I read it over :)

I know I would be. But it's a big device of sorts and I'm just a bit worried maybe. It does have a longer battery life I guess. 15 hours on the E17 and ~6hrs for the E5 I have.

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #32 of 69

Quote:
They are pretty godly. After a while they just settle in and I forgot how comfortable they are. You know what I mean? It's when you take it off and put it back on..is when it happens. The pads just sink into your ears and it just engulfs them.I do it sooo often just for those seconds of that feeling :)

I didn't realize the pun until you told me and I read it over :)

I know I would be. But it's a big device of sorts and I'm just a bit worried maybe. It does have a longer battery life I guess. 15 hours on the E17 and ~6hrs for the E5 I have.

I probably wouldn't mind having a custom pair of ear muffs with the XB1000 pads :D

Don't forget that you can extend the amp's battery runtime by not driving it so hard, as the source will provide loud enough output as it shouldn't be attenuated.

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #33 of 69

Quote:

I probably wouldn't mind having a custom pair of ear muffs with the XB1000 pads :D

Don't forget that you can extend the amp's battery runtime by not driving it so hard, as the source will provide loud enough output as it shouldn't be attenuated.

The XB's are pillows. Nuff said :)

Of course that's a known fact. I would probably set the Gain to 0 and use it that way. I really don't need to use the Gain with the earbuds or the XB500.

I might get an attenuater for my earbuds. They are 12 ohms and as you can see, that could pose some problems.

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #34 of 69
Man XB 500 are the best of the bunch in my opinion after EQing them. I love the mud huggers. The most comfortable can I have ever bought. I would like to see XB500 le edition with leather pillows. I wish other would put more into comfort. I can wear these for hours.

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #35 of 69
I've had a pair of Sony MDR-XB1000 since they were first released in Asia and I just wanna share my story.
First off, I been a fan of the xB series since they first came out, transitioning from standard DJ style headphones which would break on me often, the XB series were a godsend and I fell in love with them soon after. Anyways to the point, a few nights ago the left ear died, I took apart the cans and that's as far as I gotten so far (LOL). The right side still works, if anyone wants the muffs for parts or something let me know because since then I've gotten me a pair of grados sr80i's (SO REFRESHING after being a closed-air person for so long) and I am looking to modding them. 

Or should I try fixing them? Has anyone done this? I have a feeling Sony was biting off more than they can chew with the 70mm drivers and they have a short life span. I've had them since they were first out, is it any coincidence they take them off right around when mine died? 

Also first post :D 

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #36 of 69
I've had a pair of Sony MDR-XB1000 since they were first released in Asia and I just wanna share my story.
First off, I been a fan of the xB series since they first came out, transitioning from standard DJ style headphones which would break on me often, the XB series were a godsend and I fell in love with them soon after. Anyways to the point, a few nights ago the left ear died, I took apart the cans and that's as far as I gotten so far (LOL). The right side still works, if anyone wants the muffs for parts or something let me know because since then I've gotten me a pair of grados sr80i's (SO REFRESHING after being a closed-air person for so long) and I am looking to modding them. 

Or should I try fixing them? Has anyone done this? I have a feeling Sony was biting off more than they can chew with the 70mm drivers and they have a short life span. I've had them since they were first out, is it any coincidence they take them off right around when mine died? 

Also first post :D 

Welcome to head fi sorry about your wallet!

Its weird to see an bassy xb sony dude go to a grado! Are you a rock listener by chance that got the xb due to what others said?

I like your username but if you decide to become an active poster you may start disliking it. This account of mine was never meant to be active. I regret the username of mine now :/

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #37 of 69
Sorry to hear your XB1000 broke.  The parts on it are not cheap so buying a used pair may be cheaper than fixing yours.  

XB1000 and Grado are very different sounding.  Do you miss not having the deep bass of the XB1000?

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #38 of 69
Haha it's all good, and excellent questions. Of course I miss the big bass sound scape of the mdr-xb1000's to some extent, especially after being a fan of XB series so long to fuel my addiction to trance and hardstyle music. However, the break from closed ear to open air headphones have relinquished my musical taste in metal and alternative so it is so refreshing in not only sound but also musical taste that make it worthy. I've listened to EDM for most of my childhood with big bassy headphones ever since early high school (now in 3rd year of college) and I realized that I enjoy the music much better in a home theater setup with surround sound speakers and a decent sub. Club music is meant to be shared and played loud and my neck thanks me for a light pair of cans unlike the mdr-xb1000's which would weigh against me (my only complaint about them). 

I look forward to modding my grados as well ^_^ 
As for the broken mdr-xb1000's, I am planning to use the working right ear and transform that into the earphone of a modded retro phone or something, unless I can think of any other ideas lol. I love to hack things n play with ideas after they had lost their intended usage so I am open to suggestions or trade ^_^
DragonPiss is mad legit. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #40 of 69

Quote:
Wow, I never thought this would happen. A successor to this line is a must. Maybe they will be introducing revised drivers!

Yea I'd love for this to happen, XB500~XB700-sized XB1000 design with a bit more refined sound, yes please! :p I can already see it selling like hotcakes. haha

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #41 of 69

Quote:

Yea I'd love for this to happen, XB500~XB700-sized XB1000 design with a bit more refined sound, yes please! :p I can already see it selling like hotcakes. haha

You forgot to add XB700 sized XB1000 design at little over XB700 price. Now THAT would sell like hotcakes :wink:

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #43 of 69

Quote:
You forgot to add XB700 sized XB1000 design at little over XB700 price. Now THAT would sell like hotcakes :wink:

$120 for a sexy well designed pillow with super bass? Count me in 
L3000.gif

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #45 of 69

Quote:
I wish they would offer leather pillows. Man the comfort on these things are amazing.
Dragonpiss you should mod those 1000's pillows to the grado's.

That's also a con. They get too comfortable that I have to take them off to "feel" again. Or they just sink in too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back